Syber Student of the Week Quiz #10 - Earthquake! - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Syber Students Support for Moms in school.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via AIM to Tattoo Send a message via Yahoo to Tattoo
Lightbulb Syber Student of the Week Quiz #10 - Earthquake!

We have a new Syber Student of the Week - Earthquake! Here is her profile, be sure to pick her brain thoroughly. Click here to enlarge

What is your major?

I am currently finishing my Masters in Education. I received my Letter of Eligibility With Advanced Standing two years ago as part of my degree.

I will likely be entering a master's program for counseling next. Or maybe law school. I haven't decided yet.

What courses are you currently taking?

I'm taking Curriculum Design & Development With Research Project (Thesis).

What are your strengths and weaknesses as a student? (i.e. good at class participation, bad at testing, etc.)

I'm driven to get As. I'm inquisitive and like to push the envelope at times, which can be both a good thing and a bad thing depending on the sense of humor of the instructor.

I'm a terrible procrastinator. I suck ass when it comes to deadlines, although I have only missed one deadline ever (and that was last week). I can be disrespectful to professors who are idiots, also. Luckily, I've only come across one in grad school and she was too stupid and stuck on herself to realize I was being disrespectful.

What is your favorite subject - the one that comes easiest to you?

Writing comes easiest. It's a no-brainer for me. But my favorite classes are the ones taht are challenging and interesting. I think my very favorite classes that I've ever had were paleontology and optical minerology. I miss geology school.

What is your least favorite subject - the one that you have to work twice as hard at?

I hate math classes. They're dull. I can do it, but it's boring and I have a shitty attitude about it so I really struggle with it.

What is your idea of a great teacher?

Someone who is not afraid to admit when they're wrong, who can accept that a student might know more about something than the teacher does, and who can challenge the student to reach beyond what he thinks his limits are. A good teacher listens to the students and doesn't try to bullshit them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Whore hamper
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Hootie McBoob
Why are you studying education when you have a background in paleontology?

Can you answer my question from 2 weeks ago regarding the implications of the fossils in Antarctica?

Are your hands manly enough to pursue a law degree?

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -George Orwell
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally posted by Hootie McBoob
Why are you studying education when you have a background in paleontology?

In order to have been a paleontologist I would have had to travel a lot and be out in the field. It wasn't an option for me because it was more important that I be with my kids. I was also entering the professional world as a single mother to two when I graduated college, making application to graduate school in another state (no programs in CO) nearly impossible. I could have probably gotten a job in one of the paleo labs in the area since I had volunteered at the museum while in college, but the pay was shoddy. And the guy who ran Dinamation was kind of pompous and irritating.

The education degree was intended to end with my certification as a SAC - Substance Awareness Coordinator. I planned to be in the schools as a support and education coordinator working with students who had substance abuse issues. Leaving NJ killed that for me. Click here to enlarge

Can you answer my question from 2 weeks ago regarding the implications of the fossils in Antarctica?

Why yes, yes I can!

Okay, they recently found what they think might be a brontosaurus (they're called apatosaurus now, but the article called it the former so use that). It predates known brontosauri by 40my. It indicates that the animals originated much earlier than we had thought and adds another link in the evolutionary chain.

Implications are that the evolution of dinosaurs has new information that would enable us to determine how certain species evolved and would assist in helping us determine how and how fast they evolved.

One of my friends, a geophysicist, is currently on Antarctica and I can't wait to find out if he knows anything. He won't be in communication with the planet until late February.

Are your hands manly enough to pursue a law degree?
Alas, my delicate metacarpal extemities are but mere flowers of youth and femininity. I will have to rely on my uncanny ability to spot guilty puslickers from six blocks away.

Praise Xenu!
Kick ass art.

"I was just arguing global warming again this past week with someone. She watched Gore's POS movie and believes every freckin' work of it. I told her that he can't even get the hurricane on the cover to spin the right way, and that's just the START of the problems with that movie. Needless to say the conversation with her went downhill from there." -- a meteorologist friend
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to Flagon
Why on earth would you want to go to law school?

Click here to enlarge

If you feel up to it, please critique our current public elementary school system in 50 words or less.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

What class was the hardest for you?

What class was the easiest A?
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally posted by Flagondry
Why on earth would you want to go to law school?

Click here to enlarge

If you feel up to it, please critique our current public elementary school system in 50 words or less.
I want to go to law school to irritate the fuck out of public school administrators.

Critique:

Many of the elementary schools in the US are poorly designed, unchallenging to a large percentage, and lacking innovation.

Some of them are embracing new methods and ideas. Those schools excite and challenge. I hope they become the standard.

I choose to homeschool because I cannot afford Montessori.

Praise Xenu!
Kick ass art.

"I was just arguing global warming again this past week with someone. She watched Gore's POS movie and believes every freckin' work of it. I told her that he can't even get the hurricane on the cover to spin the right way, and that's just the START of the problems with that movie. Needless to say the conversation with her went downhill from there." -- a meteorologist friend
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 07:33 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I see you like the subject MINERALOGY

what are the formulas for:

Diopside
Hedenbergite
Enstatite
Ferrosilite
Spodumene
Wollastonite
Rhodonite
Tremolite
Ferroactinolite
Anthophyllite
Grunerite
Olivine
Garnet

This should be easy for you
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally posted by HoNoMo
What class was the hardest for you?
Chemistry, the first time I took it. Algebra would have been helpful there. Click here to enlarge

Quote:
What class was the easiest A?
Science Fiction Literature. I'd already read most of the book list.

Praise Xenu!
Kick ass art.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 11:43 PM
Ambulance Chaser

what subjects would you also love to study besides law?
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally posted by Complicated
what subjects would you also love to study besides law?
Biology, psychology - specifically neropsychology and cognitive science, and music.

I'll have to get back to you on the first question you asked me.

Praise Xenu!
Kick ass art.

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

neuro

Click here to enlarge

Praise Xenu!
Kick ass art.

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
I see you like the subject MINERALOGY

what are the formulas for:

Diopside

CaMgSi2O6
Quote:

Hedenbergite

CaFe++Si2O6
Quote:

Enstatite

Mg2Si2O6
Quote:

Ferrosilite

(Fe++,Mg)2Si2O6
Quote:

Spodumene

LiAlSi2O6

Oh, the jokes here. Click here to enlarge
Quote:

Wollastonite

CaSiO3
Quote:

Rhodonite

(Mn++,Fe++,Mg,Ca)SiO3
Quote:

Tremolite

Ca2Mg5Si8O22(OH)2
Quote:

Ferroactinolite

Ca2Fe++5Si8O22(OH)2
Quote:

Anthophyllite

Mg7Si8O22(OH)2
Quote:

Grunerite

Fe++7Si8O22(OH)2
Quote:

Olivine

(Mg,Fe)2SiO4
Quote:

Garnet

This one is impossible. There are several varieties of garnet. Which one would you like?
Quote:

This should be easy for you
Click here to enlarge

Praise Xenu!
Kick ass art.

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Click here to enlarge
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Tigo
What exactly is it taht you want to be when you grow up? You've got a lot of areas of study under your belt and are planning to go for more but they all seem so different.

What are your strong points as far as school work? I mean would you prefer to take a test or write a paper or present a project?
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 05:35 PM
Ambulance Chaser

You did awesome with my questions earthquake, I actually did take one class in mineralogy but I sure in hell didn't think the formulas was easy or to memorize. Great Job!!
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Ambulance Chaser

here is the formula for garnet:

A3B2(SiO4)3-x(OH)4x
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Did the survey you posted on SM about how we did in school, etc help you out in your work? (that was you right? I really hope that was you) If not ignore me. Click here to enlarge
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
here is the formula for garnet:

A3B2(SiO4)3-x(OH)4x
Which variety?

Seriously, there are a bunch of types of garnets.

If you took minerology then you know how hellish it was to memorize the formulas, crystal structures, formation, and uses of 35 fifferent one a week for 12 weeks. Click here to enlarge

If only the minerals database online was around back then!

Praise Xenu!
Kick ass art.

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally posted by Tigobitty
What exactly is it taht you want to be when you grow up? You've got a lot of areas of study under your belt and are planning to go for more but they all seem so different.

What are your strong points as far as school work? I mean would you prefer to take a test or write a paper or present a project?
Who says I intend to grow up? If someone forced me to grow up, I suppose I would have to decide on something that wouldn't be boring. I want to be a paleontologist but it isn't in my future at this point. A more realistic goal is a shrink.

I'd rather take a test. I test well.

Praise Xenu!
Kick ass art.

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally posted by JuniOgre
Did the survey you posted on SM about how we did in school, etc help you out in your work? (that was you right? I really hope that was you) If not ignore me. Click here to enlarge
Not yet. It will as I begin chapter three though. Click here to enlarge

Praise Xenu!
Kick ass art.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in