Public Speaking Tips - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Syber Students Support for Moms in school.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Public Speaking Tips

I have to do an oral presentation tommorow morning. I hate doing orals and to top matters off I'm going first. We're having 3 days of presentations and I get lucky number one. Click here to enlarge Anyway, if anyone has any speech tips or nervousness tips I'd appreciate them. Whenever I have to talk in public I get serious butterflies and stress until it's done.

TIA all. Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 04:39 PM
MHM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I was just told today that scientific studies have proven people feel less nervous, and speak more if they are talking while holding something.

Not sure if that helps any.

#1 is good- you will get it over with and then get to watch all the other nervous speakers!
Almost everyone is in the exact same boat as you- they're all nervous about speaking too. Except that one guy who always shows everyone up. Click here to enlarge

We'll all be holding your syber hand. And when in doubt, yell "harrrrr!"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Mmmmmm tuna
Hard-Core Sybermom

Make sure you know what you are talking about. Plan, prepare and rehearse. Try to talk as if the audience are your friends, not other students/teachers. Make eye contact. If you feel like you don't know what to do with your hands DO NOT stick them in your pockets, place them on the podium (if there is one) or clasp them in front of you (to keep from having them flail around). Breath. Relax. You can do this. Click here to enlarge

"I'm proud of you, but also a bit fearful that we're verging on what I call 'feelings territory' so let's stare at the fire in silence" - Ron Swanson
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Talk nice and slow. I tend to try to talk like an auctioneer when I have to get up and speak in front of a group.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Focus on a few people in various parts of the room and make eye contact with them as you speak. Other than that, I have no suggestions. I always made inapproriate jokes to break the ice, but my crowd was socially stunted so they didn't notice the inappropriateness anyway.

Praise Xenu!
Kick ass art.

"I was just arguing global warming again this past week with someone. She watched Gore's POS movie and believes every freckin' work of it. I told her that he can't even get the hurricane on the cover to spin the right way, and that's just the START of the problems with that movie. Needless to say the conversation with her went downhill from there." -- a meteorologist friend
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Practice, practice, practice. Work until you are the world's supreme expert on whatever your presentation is on. Then you will be confident and not so worried about doing it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 05:39 PM
MHM
Unsupportive Freeloader

How did it go, Juni???
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

It went GREAT!!!!! WE get the grades back on thursday but I had so much support from the girls who sit near me in class. We just joked around a little bit releasing some tension which helped me not do my whole nervous butterflies thing.

I screwed up on a couple parts. I kept pointing at the actually projector machine instead of the screen which was a big No No and I kinda rushed through my conclusion. But the main bulk of the presentation I felt was really good. I talked for 4 min 18 sec and they were supposed to be about that length so I did good.

Thanks you guys for the advice!!!! By the time I sat down I couldn't remember what I had done mostly. They said that I did make good eye contact and sounded clear. Click here to enlarge Thanks so much.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 02:16 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I do a lot of rehearsing before I speak and I make sure I know my subject well. I never end up giving the speach I write but it goes off well if I know my stuff. Good luck.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dogzilla
Make sure you know what you are talking about.
Click here to enlarge Exactly. Everything else will fall into place.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 03:50 PM

Glad you felt positive afterwards....let us know what your grade was!!! Click here to enlarge
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 03:54 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I know I'm late coming in but as a former student who aced many oral presentations I feel the need to share.

I always act like I'm someone else. Think of someone who you really admire who is very poised and confident. Pretend you're that person. It works like a charm for me.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oooh I like that idea Pnut. I may try that for the next one.

Stupid farkin teacher decided to be sick on Thursday so I have to wait till tuesday to get my grade. Click here to enlarge Though I actually feel really sad for all the poor people who are stressing over their presentation and then found out they get a whole nother 5 days to keep stressing.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Congratulations on making it through that!! I hate public speaking, and I have 3 speeches this semester.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I got an A!!!!!!!!!! Well an A minus actually. My conclusion was weak and I said "um" too much but damn I'm happy. Thank you all so much for your advice, it really did help!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in