I just dropped a class - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Syber Students Support for Moms in school.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via AIM to Tattoo Send a message via Yahoo to Tattoo
I just dropped a class

I hate the night class I am taking right now. I am SO tired that I am ready to pass out in class. It's boring (Computer Science - programming) and I can't seem to get excited about it. Click here to enlarge The drive is 40 minutes in 5:00 traffic, then 40 minutes back at 9:45 at night. Anyway, I was registered for another night class in July and August, so I dropped it (the future one, not the current one). I am not setting myself up for this shit again, I am too exhausted. I want to stay home and actually eat dinner, and blow bubbles with my son after dinner. Click here to enlarge Fuck it, I'll have to make up the credits later on. I am really burning out and this leaves me with just one online class during the Summer 2 semester, which is perfectly fine with me. My current online class is slowly growing on me... Click here to enlarge

Oh and another excuse I have for it is that we are going to Disney in July and I can't afford to miss 2 classes (which equals 6 hours in summer class time). I'll fall too far behind.

So I will continue to find ways to justify dropping the course. I hate dropping. I feel like a quitter. Click here to enlarge

It's a boy! Anthony Michael, born at 1:24 pm on March 7, 2012! 7lb 14 oz, 20" long

Nope, not getting rid of the ticker. Have you clicked me lately!

Not getting rid of this ticker either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I forgot to mention how good it was of me to drop it now, before it even starts, so I don't waste $$ on a book or a minute of my time.

Yeah. That's the ticket.

It's a boy! Anthony Michael, born at 1:24 pm on March 7, 2012! 7lb 14 oz, 20" long

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 10:53 PM
gogogirl
Ambulance Chaser

The real mistake would have been not listening to your gut and trying to do "the right thing". You are not a quitter, but a realist. Enjoy your summer!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 05:45 AM
Ambulance Chaser

Wise decision!!!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 05:50 AM
Eryn
Ambulance Chaser

It sounds like you made a good decision. I hate night classes.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 01:26 PM
ktak
Ambulance Chaser

I think you made a wise decision as well. Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 06:56 PM
IWantToBelieve
Ambulance Chaser

Trust me, you made the right decisions. Sometimes it's not worth it, and it's okay to realize that.

I dropped a summer course once after the first week. The only thing I regret is I bought the software and books and it cost a small fortune. The thing of it was, I hated that class. It wasn't a requirement, and I knew it would be torture the whole way through.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I have dropped classes just because I didn't like the teacher. My scholorship alows you to drop a class as long as you drop it before the date you can get a refund. After that they kind of frown upon that.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally posted by Eryn
It sounds like you made a good decision. I hate night classes.
Click here to enlarge ...but I start a night class next Monday Click here to enlarge
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I dropped a class once. I was trying to hurry up to graduate on a certain time frame (before we move away), and I had a senior level math course as a part of my schedule when I was practically a math sophomore. I was full time even without that class. It was overwhelming but I really wanted to make it work, which left me in denial about what was really best in that situation. So I stuck in the class so long that I had to withdraw when I finally came around. Withdrawing is a PIA. Dropping it the first week would have been so much easier, and less embarrassing.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 02:53 PM
MHM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I dropped a class last summer because I was taking two 4 week classes at the same time, and both were a LOT of work. I didn't want to burn myself into a little ash, and that's what would have happened. I would have gotten both done, but it would have involved a ton of stress and freaking out for the entire 4 weeks.
So now I'm taking the dropped class again- at my expense instead of financial aid's. But it's still worth it to me.

You do what's best fo ryou, or you'll end up completely burned out. It's hard being a wife, mommy, and full time student!

Have fun at Disney! Click here to enlarge
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 05:59 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to gingah Send a message via Yahoo to gingah Send a message via Skype™ to gingah
Click here to enlarge Good decision. Click here to enlarge
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Sounds like you did a good thing. Enjoy your summer.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Thanks everyone. I did feel a weight lifted doing this. I never took 6-week intensified courses before and let me tell you, they really are not for people who work and have a family. There are just not enough hours to do things as well as you would if you had extended time.

That being said, I just dropped my World Religion class. Click here to enlarge I'm in the 4th week right now and I failed the first test last week - I got a 58. Click here to enlarge I have NEVER gotten a 58 on anything in my life, I was mortified and it was really a smack in the face which said "Wake the hell up, you cannot do this. It's TOO much!!" The test was ALL essay questions and you would literally have to memorize everything you read in order to pass it. It was the hardest test I've ever taken.

There was another test scheduled for this Thursday (yes, on another several chapters - oh sure, I can read that and absorb it all in one week. Click here to enlarge ) I sat down tonight to do the Quiz that was due by midnight (I haven't even done the reading yet) and I just decided to quit. I don't have the time for this. I dropped it with 2 days to spare - 6/10 was the deadline to receive a grade of "W" instead of a failure. Wugh Wugh Wugh. You know it's bad when I'm willing to kiss any refund goodbye - it's even too late for that.

Quote:
Originally posted by IWantToBelieve
Trust me, you made the right decisions. Sometimes it's not worth it, and it's okay to realize that.

I dropped a summer course once after the first week. The only thing I regret is I bought the software and books and it cost a small fortune. The thing of it was, I hated that class. It wasn't a requirement, and I knew it would be torture the whole way through.
You couldn't be more on the money. Click here to enlarge I am living proof.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 04:04 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

You are much smarter to drop it now and take it again when you have more time to committ to it.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 01:35 AM
Ambulance Chaser

You did a smart thing. I wonder if we have sometimes have difficulty recognizing our limitations because we sacrifice so much to attend school when we have little ones.

I got an F this semester. I finally crashed and burned with the weight of my Intermediate Algebra final. I got a B in that, a B in English 102, but I couldn't bring myself to finish the work for my Children's Lit class. Click here to enlarge

I'll have to re-take it. I did 90% of the work and got all As. Click here to enlarge. But a required element didn't get done.

If we push too hard, stress will push back. You did good.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Click here to enlarge GreatScot. Isn't it hard though, to admit it and face the fact that you just aren't Super Woman? Click here to enlarge

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I will never admit that I am not Superwoman. They will take my purple leotard away. Click here to enlarge
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 04:43 PM
IWantToBelieve
Ambulance Chaser

I agree, summer classes are a stretch for moms. That is a huge amount of information to absorb in a very short time. Some classes can be done on that schedule, but a lot can't, and how the prof. handles it also counts (some skip information, others alter tests to account for the huge amount of infor, etc.)

It's way better to drop then ruin a GPA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in