I am so scared - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Syber Students Support for Moms in school.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Hatchy Milatchy
I am so scared

AP is scaring the shit out of me. Timed practical exams in lab-terms like lateral, dorsal, parietal, ... :Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge I am totally intimidated. Half the class took AP already and is taking it over to get a better grade. Click here to enlarge

I am so terrified. Click here to enlarge

Is it normal to be this petrified at the beginning of AP? I know I'm not stupid but I have a serious phobia thing going on here.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I know I was pretty freaked out at the beginning of my A&P, too. I was just coming in off not being in school, too, so I really had to hit the ground running and develop all my study habits.

I think it's normal to feel overwhelmed with subject matter like that. A&P is a ton of material. You'll do fine!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I dropped A&P the first time that I took it. It scared the ever living hell outta me too. It's a ton of information to take in, the only way to pass is to study your ass off (or so I've heard, I haven't taken again yet).

You'll do fine, good luck Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Beauty in flight
Hard-Core Sybermom

Location: On my lazy ass in this computer chair when I should be cleaning my house

Send a message via Yahoo to Turbo
Good study habits are essential. Click here to enlarge Which means you will do great, Hatchy. You kicked ass last semester so you are revved up and ready to go.

A&P meant lots of time but it totally paid off.

And I know you said you hate index cards - I normally do, too - but they were also essential for me for the Anatomy part. My school divides the class into Anatomy one semester and then Physio (heavy duty version of it) the following instead of A&P I & II so it could be different because of that but I kind of doubt it. The fact is, there is A LOT of memorization when it comes to anatomy just like learning a new language. For that aspect of it, I would do notecards. We had one week to learn all the direction terms plus the terms for areas of the body (brachial, antecubital, cephalic, etc, etc). I thought I would die. After writing out my cards and carrying them everywhere with me for a week (I would do a few at stoplights Click here to enlarge or waiting to get my kids from school, changing the baby, etc), I had them down flat.

You can do it, R. I have absolutely no doubt about that. Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Beauty in flight
Hard-Core Sybermom

Location: On my lazy ass in this computer chair when I should be cleaning my house

Oh, and it looks like I misspelled antibubital so see how fast it leaves you? Click here to enlarge
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Beauty in flight
Hard-Core Sybermom

One more serial post Click here to enlarge

If it makes you feel any better, Micro is making me nervous and I rocked A&P. I know you rocked Micro so therefore I must conclude that you will conquer A&P w/no prob. Click here to enlarge

You know, the thing with Micro is that it seems more about learning the individual microbes than focusing on what they do to your body - but I'm only on my second class so hopefully I'll be wrong about that. Click here to enlarge I have definitely realized that my absolute passion is learning about the body and it's response - I don't want to learn about bugs unless I get to learn about what the hell they do and how to treat them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 03:56 AM
Ambulance Chaser

You're going to do fine. Click here to enlarge

If you can get your hands on a Medical Terminology textbook, that would probably help. It explains how the terms are constructed, and what all of the parts of the words mean. I think that might take away a lot of anxiety for you.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Hatchy Milatchy
thanks you guys. Click here to enlarge I was actually thinking I might have to do notecards this time around, too. For fill in the blank memorization, I can see how notecards would help.(I usually need things to "hook on" in front of me- I tend to choke when there's blank paper in front of me) Studying from notes and memorizing the context the notes are in is way more helpful in multiple choice than stone cold memorization. I also bought the optional latin word construction book, so that should help, too. I also have a NEATO coloring book I bought too. Click here to enlarge

Turbo, in my micro class, how the various microbes affect the body didn't go into great detail until the very end- I was really bummed about that because it was my favorite part. Click here to enlarge I really enjoyed micro- and I have to say I wish I was taking it again right now. Click here to enlarge

The way my school does AP is We have AP lecture one day with one prof, AP lab another day with another prof. We also have two separate tests for each component and two separate final exams. Lather rinse repeat for AP2.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Beauty in flight
Hard-Core Sybermom

I found my coloring book to be pretty helpful in a lot of the mass memorization such as muscles. I am a Read/Write and a kinesthetic learner so I would also move my muscle (i.e. swivel my wrist when studying the bones or muscles in the hand and wrist) while I was looking at the lab photos. Oh, and we did cadavers in anatomy so that helped tremendously.

Our set up was the same as far as one prof for lecture and a different for lab. And the material and tests were different so it was like having two classes. I think though instead of studying both the anatomy and physiology of say muscles, we studied all the anatomical features and basic physio of muscles (or whatever body system we were on) the first semester and then got very detailed at the cellular and chemical level in the second semester with Physiology.

I bet your going to LOVE it by the end of the semester (well, maybe not right before finals Click here to enlarge). Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in