If you take 6-week or 8-week courses and one class is cancelled - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Syber Students Support for Moms in school.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

If you take 6-week or 8-week courses and one class is cancelled

what does your college do?

I teach in a 6-week program. Our courses meet on Saturdays, 6 weeks in a row, 5 hours per class.

The massive storm that hit MA and CT has led to the first cancellation in my experience with this college. So far, the administration cancelled at 5am and have sent no information to faculty since Click here to enlarge.

So my poor students are emailing me, posting on the general information board, and wondering what's going on.

My class could be made "virtual" for a day--I could post lectures, start discussion question threads, and convert my test to a make-up essay test, which I offered to do in an email I just sent to the Director of the program.

But I'm curious--how do your colleges handle this? All my students live VERY time-tight lives. If the college creates a make-up session (on a Sunday?) then Click here to enlarge.

There's NOTHING in the faculty manual about this, by the way Click here to enlarge.

And, finally, what would you want a professor to say/do to help alleviate your anxiety?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Hatchy Milatchy
I never ran into that exact situation as a student, but I think switching to an online format and online discussion for that week is an excellent idea. Then use about a 1/2 hour from next week's class to recap what was covered online and to clarify anything the student need help with in that time frame. I think my anxiety would drop considerably just knowing that everything I need to be learning is available online.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Hatchy, I just did that. Posted my full lecture online, then went into the "Class Discussion" module (which I never use Click here to enlarge because I have an onsite class) and posted one thread for each Discussion Question (which they have already, and should have completed for today's class discussion).

I'm having them post their answers as part of the participation grade for the class we're missing.

In the meantime (they don't know this), I've created a take-home essay test. They'll have 3 days to complete it.

Can you fucking BELIEVE that my administration STILL hasn't given us instructions on what to do Click here to enlarge? At 5am class was cancelled. It's 1:30pm now and students are panicking on the main boards. But we faculty have NOT received an email from the Directors or VPs or Deans Click here to enlarge.

Some professors are just going ahead and giving alternate assignments. However, ONE prof is giving her students until midnight tonight to complete their assignment. 1/3 of my students do NOT have Internet access at home. That's so unfair! I figure my 3 day window gives students time to dig out their cars and go to the library, or to have Mon and Tues to use work Internet if needed to do the limited Inernet research I'm requiring.

This is appalling.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 03:03 PM
hydrolized gelatin, chick embryonic fluid, and human diploid cells from aborted fetal tissue
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Mystickal Mama Send a message via Skype™ to Mystickal Mama
Call me crazy, but isn't this exactly the kind of situation a protocol should've been developed for *before* it ever happened? Kinda like fire drills and such... Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

NO SHIT!!! I've worked in Higher Education Administration as much as I've taught, and this is such BULLSHIT. It's 9:50pm and STILL NOTHING FROM MY DEAN, DIRECTOR, or VP Click here to enlarge.

I finally, at 3pm, posted a take-home test. I'm giving the students 81 hours to do it. One of my students emailed me to thank me for keeping them posted; her other prof hadn't. Half the profs are just going ahead and posting alternative assignments. The other half aren't doing anything BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T BEEN TOLD ANYTHING BY ADMINISTRATION.

This is sickening. On the upside, I emailed my Dean and told him that the snow cancellation prompted me to tell him I think my American Government class is well-suited for online teaching, and that I'd be happy to design and teach such a course.

Let's hope!

My poor students. Click here to enlarge They're so frustrated by all this. So am I. I just hope I've done enough and they'll be OK.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

That would be frustrating.

I think putting it online was good, but don't be surprised if students show up to class not having seen/done any of it, claiming "well I heard school was closed and I don't have any internet access and I assumed there was no work" Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Moist, our students won't do that. They KNOW that it's a requirement to check Internet at least 2x a week.

Most of my students are motivated to do well--they're El Ed majors paying their own way or on teaching grant programs, and anything below a B screws up their grants.

But--thank you for the warning. I might get one or two. Click here to enlarge
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge well then hopefully you won't get any, but you never know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in