Peer editing - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Syber Students Support for Moms in school.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Peer editing

In one of my classes we have to do peer editing. Yeah I know, it's lame. I'm in a 400 level English class and I have to look at someone's rough draft.

Anyway, both of the drafts that I have to peer edit totally suck. I would be nice and try to sugar coat the glaring and blatent errors, but I'm getting graded on my peer editing. Last semester I had the same prof and tried to be nice to the people.. I got a B on the peer edit.

This time I'm going all out, guns blazing, not holding anything back. I feel bad, but I can't afford to be nice. Maybe if this guy had written the whole 8 pages instead of 4, didn't just do plot summary, and had at least one intelligent thought I'd be nice..!

So anyway.. I feel bad tearing these people's papers apart, but what else am I supposed to do? *shrugs*

I just hope they don't cry......

....and the only pen I could find is red Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I don't mind when people tear my papers apart. I need all the help I can get. Shoot me if I'm ever taking a 400 level class and have to write papers. I think I might cry if I saw my paper all marked in red though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

During compII we had to do a peer edit of our research papers. I had already had my English major cousin review and edit mine, but the person who reviewed mine marked through a few grammar and even spelling "mistakes" that were not mistakes. Yeah, I didn't have her review again and she dropped the class half way through Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge limeade! I hate idiots looking at my work... I had a girl in another class tear apart my paper. She made it idiotic... it was supposed to be going into extreme detail of a normal, every day event, so I did a weekday afternoon waiting tables at waffle house. She told me I should talk about a busy weekend morning because it would be more interesting Click here to enlarge

Anyway... the prof gave us sheets with questions on it to answer, so most of the red pen was on that sheet Click here to enlarge And the guy isn't even here to get his critiques and the paper is due next class. Click here to enlarge guess he doesn't need my help!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I had to do a peer edit in my policy class. I marked some poor kid's paper all up with questions, then got mine back without a mark on.

Part of me was mad that I didn't get any input, but then I thought: what if I edited the paper of the person who edited mine? It occurred to me that I might have tore some poor ESL student's paper to shreds, then I felt bad. Click here to enlarge
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

well if it's any consolation, you can usually tell if it's a paper from an ESL student... it's not so much the thought processes that don't make sense, but some of the word choice and wordings.

This guy was not ESL... we talked when we switched papers. He didn't even come to class thursday to get his paper or give us ours. Douche bag... I mean reading his work I obviously wasn't going to take any advice he gave me Click here to enlarge but the paper is due tuesday, so he should have been there to give the papers back.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 05:28 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I've had about five workshop classes where peer editing was essential to the process. Some of them were so bad I didn't even know where to begin with the editing and wanted to burn the papers. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooolaidred
I've had about five workshop classes where peer editing was essential to the process. Some of them were so bad I didn't even know where to begin with the editing and wanted to burn the papers. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
Click here to enlarge

I think you may have been reading my papers. Click here to enlarge
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Ugh he emailed me saturday asking me to email him my comments. I spent 45 mins going through his paper... I really just didn't have time to type it all up for him. He said we could meet monday on campus Click here to enlarge I live an hour away, fat chance I'm going on a day off!

Anyway I feel bad for not getting it to him, but seriously.. he should have come to class... right?

am I a total B for not typing it up for him??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in