So I just got my acceptance email. - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Syber Students Support for Moms in school.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

So I just got my acceptance email.

I haven't been in college in 10 years. I'm going back in Fall. I'm kinda scared. Do I need a laptop? How much has changed? I'm old enough to be the parent of a kid entering their freshmen year. Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 05:50 PM
MHM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Congrats!

I rarely saw anyone with laptops in class. Most just took notes the old fashioned way.
It won't be bad- really. I was amazed how fast I got back into the swing of things (well, not back into- i was never in the swing of things that first time around. Click here to enlarge )

I was in college at 36, and a kid who I sat near in a class told me his mom was 36. sigh.
Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:49 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

With the economy the way it is more older folks are going back to school. I will be 33 next month and I am the middle age in 2 of my classes. I find that I take better notes, study harder and more productively, and actually give a shit this time around Click here to enlarge. I love going to school again Click here to enlarge

Tapatalk is where the typos are at.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:51 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Oh and congrats and good luck!

What are you going for?

I only see a few laptops and usually those are the CIS majors who think they are sooooo cool because they have a laptop in a class with us lowly non-computer majors.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm going to finish my English degree. I had to get transcripts from four different colleges. I did the "little lady" thing and followed dh around while he finished his degrees, working full-time to support us, and taking two classes at a time.

This Fall, I'll have a 1st grader Click here to enlarge, 5th grader, and the girls will be 2. I'm going to do online, night, and weekend classes, and fill in one or two during the week while the girls are at daycare.

I was watching a Best Buy commercial and it was talking about the daughter needing a laptop to go to college and I was all wtf? I looked at dh and said "wait. do I need to get one? I feel a little overwhelmed."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I think it is when kids go away to college they have a computer to do their homework on. You already have a computer to do yours on. Just make sure you have a good printer.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 09:27 AM
MHM
Unsupportive Freeloader

A laptop might be handy for writing papers while sitting at Gymnastics class with the kids, or from bed- but you don't need one for class. At least not in my experience.

I was in regular classes full time for my undergrad, and am taking online classes for my Master's degree, and the only time I have "needed" a laptop was when I sat in a ski lodge for 2 days straight recently and wanted to get some work done. Click here to enlarge
I'd like one for home, but wouldn't have hauled it to class with me.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Okay. I have a 17" laptop that dh uses and I just didn't want to have to drag that beast around. It will work out okay to have with me at skiing/piano/riding lessons.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I went back after tens and was pretty sacred. After a few weeks it was old hat. I am in grad school now and about 50% of students use a laptop in class. Much of the laptop use is dependent on your style of classes. All my prof's simply put powerpoints on blackboard and skip lectures. Our whole campus is wireless, so students will pull up the powerpoints and ad anything they feel is important, oh and screw around on facebook when we are not too actively engaged.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I take my laptop to class.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

None of my students bring laptops, but many bring voice recorders to tape lectures, then listen to them on their daily commute in the car.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

That's probably because they can't get enough of your wonderful voice Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I have a lap top that I use for some classes. I have a voice recorder that I use for the 4 hour lecture.

I do a mixture of things. I have found the laptop handy for homework on campus. This way I'm always doing homework on the same computer. I make sure to save things to a removable drive though. That way I have a back up just in case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in