SyberStudent Orientation - Fall 2009 - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Syber Students Support for Moms in school.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Hard-Core Sybermom

Cool SyberStudent Orientation - Fall 2009

Click here to enlarge

Welcome back, everyone! (Or, hello again to those of us who can't figure out what it means when they say "summer break!" Click here to enlarge) We've got some new students going back to school this year... congratulations on taking the first big step!!! Click here to enlarge

I thought it would be nice to have a sort of meet-and-greet for everyone to get acquainted and re-acquainted. Please introduce yourself and share some information about you and your major/school/classes/year/etc. ... anything you'd like to share. Click here to enlarge

There are a lot of spectacularly brilliant women here, so don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have. Let's have a great year... and NO SLACKING OFF!!! Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge ~ Salty and Tattoo (who don't do anything exciting around here because we're both too busy.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 06:13 AM
Once upon a time...
Hard-Core Sybermom

In the fall I will begin my last semester of nursing school, graduating in December with an Associate in Applied Science in Nursing. I will most likely hop on the bridge to BSN shortly after that. I'm actually sort of a career student - I also have a BS in Computer Information Systems. Click here to enlarge

"I feel very Shane today......"
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 06:16 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm so glad to see this here! I don't think I knew there was a student forum, or if I did, I forgot Click here to enlarge

I am currently taking courses for my Social Service Worker Diploma through my local community college. I had been taking one course per semester online because that was all I could afford money wise and time wise.

I was online one night searching for additional courses I could take, and I discovered that my college has a satellite program in a tiny community North of where I live. They are running an intensive summer institute in the SSW program this summer. I could hardly sleep, I was so excited! I called the next day, and she signed me up for the whole summer program. I can run a 'tab' for my tuition and I have to have it paid by September.

So, by September, I will have 12 of the 27 courses I need to graduate! It is over an hour drive one way to get to the campus, but it is so worth it. My work was unbelievably accomodating and allowed me to go part time. I'm incredibly exhausted all the time, I'm up at 6:30 a.m. and out the door by 7:30. I get to school for 9, and I'm there until 3. From there I run home, feed and walk the dog, throw some food around and them I'm at work until midnight.

My family has been incredibly supportive. My kid (18) has taken over a lot of the responsibilities around the house, he's even making beds! Some of you may recall that this is my runaway, so it makes it even more special that things have turned around so much.

Money is tighter than ever with paying tuition, books, taking a paycut to go part time, and gas! Oh my, I'm paying over $100 a week in gas.

Well, thanks for letting me write that novel, I'm off to complete my final assignment for my Case Management course. This week is assignment week, so I don't have to go to the campus at all, I can just email my assignments.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 07:13 AM
MHM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge

I finished my BS and teacher's license in 2005. A year ago decided to go back for a master's degree in early childhood special education. I work full time (and then some!) as a teacher, so I am taking a class a semester, including summers. I am just about half way through with the program, which is entirely online.

This summer I am taking a graduate research class, which is probably going to be the most difficult class of the entire program for me. Statistics- ugh!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I am going back, after a year off, to finish my master's in professional writing. I'm doing it one class per semester since I have to take time off from work for the classes. I started in Fall 2005, took a bunch of time off when my ds was born for his medical issues, and now I hope to power through the last 4 classes and my thesis and graduate in 2011.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm new to the site but not to school. I went back two years ago, completely changing my major from where it was when I first went after high school. I recently received my AS in Digital Media and will be going for my BS in the fall in Computer Science.

I'm much enjoying summer since I lack sleep during the school year, I am a single mom who works full-time, goes to school full-time, and am starting a freelance career.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'm taking my last prerequisite this fall. It's a diet therapy class, all online. In October I apply for nursing school. I am so ready. Click here to enlarge

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Holy crap they actually sat together and smiled
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Coralblur
Click here to enlarge

I am in year two of working on my BA in secondary science education, specializing in biological sciences. It is entirely online except for the student teaching. I am behind as usual because I have a hard time motivating myself but I will work through it.

I am taking Ethics I and II, Classroom management, Diversity and Inclusion and Number Systems and Algebraic Structures Part I and II. This term ends Oct. 31 so at that point I will have all new classes.

I am apparently a perpetual student since I just graduated with an AAS in photography in 2007.

An amazing charity
Please remind your children what to do if their clothing catches fire. It could save their life.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm a senior at EMU, finishing up a degree in Elementary Education, Science major & Math minor. I'm thinking about dropping the minor to get done early. I should be ready to student teach in a year.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

This fall I am taking Intermediate Algebra, Introduction to Biological Chemistry, and possibly A+P I. After that I will take the NET and apply to my community college's nursing program, and hopefully will start the ADN program Fall 2010.

Click here to enlarge
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Just finished my first summer course after a 5 year hiatus...with an A. Should graduate with my AA in December. Then on to the local university for my BA in teaching.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I am working towards my Associates in Accounting at my local CC. I am taking spring and summer classes. Right now I have Econ I and Business Law and next semester I will have Econ II and Accounting 2. I am on the No Worker Left Behind program through the state of Michigan and so I get unemployment while going to school. I am lucky I can go fulltime and not have to work for now. I do plan on going to Walsh College to get my bachelors. They run a program through the local CC here.

Tapatalk is where the typos are at.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I have an Associates degree and a Bachelor of Computer Science with a math minor. I'm going back to school this fall for a Master's in Educational Technology. This is a very recent decision (like as of last Friday Click here to enlarge) so I'm trying to figure out the application process still and will probably be taking classes before I'm officially admitted. Fun!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiverful Bitch View Post
Just finished my first summer course after a 5 year hiatus...with an A. Should graduate with my AA in December. Then on to the local university for my BA in teaching.
SLU? Click here to enlarge
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I am in year 5 of a 4 year degree.

I'm now working on a degree in forestry. I worked on a degree in Secondary education emphasis math and science for the first few years. I realized that I don't really want to teach.

I've been full time all but 1 school year, and 1 term. I should actually manage a degree in 4 semesters, maybe 5.

Yay me.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmom View Post
I have an Associates degree and a Bachelor of Computer Science with a math minor. I'm going back to school this fall for a Master's in Educational Technology. T
I may be keeping my eye on you. Once I finish my BS in Computer Science I am considering going on so that I can teach. I've been tossing the idea around for a week or two but I have a couple of years to figure things out.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmp View Post
I may be keeping my eye on you. Once I finish my BS in Computer Science I am considering going on so that I can teach. I've been tossing the idea around for a week or two but I have a couple of years to figure things out.
That's my plan too, or at least expanding my possibilities. I was going to either get an IT certification of some sort or get a masters, and I realized that my work pays 75% towards college courses. So that made that decision easy. Click here to enlarge

The program that I am trying to get into has a focus in Learning Systems Design and Development. Ideally, once I graduate I will get a job helping teachers integrate technology in the classroom or designing online courses. Although I think teaching Comp Sci would be fun too.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to Melody
i'm taking my last class before applying to the RN program. i have physiology, which i started fall 2008 semester but had to take an incomplete because i was pregnant and my BP was a little high, then i had the baby early anyway. so, i'll complete physio. then apply to the program in december. of course, i probably won't get in the first time i apply, but i'll have all the pre-reqs (and all of my general ed) done.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

When fall arrives I will be in my final year of a two year MSW program. I am a full-time student.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Fall 2009 will be my LAST semester before I earn my bachelor's degree. Click here to enlarge I am so happy. I've been at this a long time. It's been 16 yrs since I graduated high school. I've taken part time semesters and years off, and now, I finally finishing this up.

I have three classes left: human resources, financial management, and independent study. I'm earning a degree in public service. I absolutely LOVE my major.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in