Did you have to meet w/ your advisor to graduate??? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Syber Students Support for Moms in school.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Did you have to meet w/ your advisor to graduate???

I sent my advisor an email that said that I wanted him to look over my registration and ensure that I had my final requirements to graduate in December.

He responded that if that's the case, I need to schedule a ONE HOUR grad review to go over my records and apply for graduation. I've seen the graduation application. It's a half-sheet form that basically asks for name, address, and other easy information.

I went ahead and scheduled a meeting, but this just strikes me as an incredibly stupid waste of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Yes, I did, and thank god, because it turns out I was missing 1--yes, ONE--science credit, and the dean's office wouldn't waive it (in spite of my 10 math credits that more than made up for it, IMO), so I had to squeeze in a last-minute science course in order to graduate.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I've heard of that being called a graduation check and it being required at every university that I've come close to graduating at (um, 3 so far).
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:49 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

We have to see an advisor every semester at my alma mater. It's really just a brief "what classes are you taking?" thing though. I've had nearly every appointment waived or done via email because I live over an hour away and am NOT driving there for that.

Anyway, the pre-graduation was just logging into the same online system I can log into at home, checking my degree progress (which I can do at home), and showing me (which I saw at home Click here to enlarge) what classes still need to be taken. Graduation application was done at home online. The degree check was really straight forward but I can see how a non computer literate individual might not get it, hence the reason why the advisor appointment was manditory.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 08:27 PM
MHM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Yes. And then I had to meet with a graduation counselor in a different building to have her look over my stuff as well. She seemed more concerned with making sure I didn't have any outstanding parking tickets or money owed. Click here to enlarge

I won't have to this time, but I am required to have a phone or in-person meeting with my advisor once per year. It's easy though. She just asks what I plan to take and makes sure I am on track.

You're almost there! Click here to enlarge
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 06:47 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I have to meet with mine every other semester.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'm supposed to meet with mine every semester.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommasharpy View Post

Anyway, the pre-graduation was just logging into the same online system I can log into at home, checking my degree progress (which I can do at home), and showing me (which I saw at home Click here to enlarge) what classes still need to be taken. Graduation application was done at home online. The degree check was really straight forward but I can see how a non computer literate individual might not get it, hence the reason why the advisor appointment was manditory.
This is pretty much what I am expecting. Reserving an hour of my advisor's time to spend 15 minutes talking about things I already know. Click here to enlarge

And, I think if a college has computer illiterate individuals applying for graduation, they really need to rethink how they do things. Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in