Western Governors University - experiences? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Syber Students Support for Moms in school.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Western Governors University - experiences?

I think Coral is going there, and I thought Mystikal Mama did as well. Anyone else who goes there, please chime in. I have a couple questions for some folks I know who might benefit from WGU:

1. Can you really go at your own pace? For instance, could a highly-motivated 19 year old with plenty of time and 1 year of transferable credits complete the rest of her degree in 2 full years?

2. How much do they really transfer? Are they difficult with transfer credits?

3. How picky are they with standards and grading? Do they make it nearly impossible to be creative, for instance, with projects because creativity might go beyond meeting some nitpicky standard?

Thanks for any help. I have a 19 yo niece who is ready to drop out of traditional college and I'd love to find an alternative that keeps her in school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Blue Tongue Lizard
Hard-Core Sybermom

1. Can you really go at your own pace? For instance, could a highly-motivated 19 year old with plenty of time and 1 year of transferable credits complete the rest of her degree in 2 full years?

Yes and no. You have to complete a satisfactory amount of classes each semester. The minimum is quite doable though. I work 45-50 hours a week, and have a family, and I still do well.

I'm not sure. My previous college was a joke, so I didn't even bother trying. They are the highest accredited online (or really, any school) university I know of.

3. How picky are they with standards and grading? Do they make it nearly impossible to be creative, for instance, with projects because creativity might go beyond meeting some nitpicky standard?

Creativity is demanded. There is no simple and single answer to anything. Hell, they barely tell you what is expected. It's more like "Write your ass off and prove you know your shit, then we will grade you as acceptable"

WGU rocks. I'm 2 years in now. I've never had a more free, yet challenging education experience. It's hard as hell, but that's why they are so respected.

http://www.wgu.edu/about_WGU/time_eprint.pdf
http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/nbc_news

My witty remark or noble cause will go here one day.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Blue Tongue Lizard
Hard-Core Sybermom

Please allow me to rant on... All the classes are pass or fail. In order to pass a class, the student must obtain a 'B' or better. That's one of the more challenging aspects. You can't skim a subject, take a 'C' and move along, they will slap it back at you fast as hell. By definition a student must 'demonstrate complete mastery of the subject matter'.

My witty remark or noble cause will go here one day.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Holy crap they actually sat together and smiled
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Coralblur

Absolutely. You can do as many credits as you can pass in a term (and you pay per term vs. per credit which is sweet) The trick is they initially enroll you for 12-14 credits, if you finish those you can keep tacking on more until you hit the 4.5 month mark (terms are 6 months) Sometimes they will tack on a class later but only if it is a test based class in which you pass the preassessment. Dh got some last minute credits this term that way.

They are fairly good about it as far as I can see. My AAS is in photography so there wasn't a ton of credits that were applicable but the gen. ed credits did all transfer.

See dh's answer Click here to enlarge They are picky as hell with making sure you meet competency. You do have to meet all the criteria of the rubric with a B or better but they give you a lot of freedom in how you get there. There is a lot of writing involved. There are two different ways they do things. The objective assessment classes give you all the resources you need to study for the test which you have to pass in order to get a pass in the class. The performance assessment classes go through taskstream and involve a LOT of writing. It is mostly essay work with some projects (for my life science class I had to make a model of a pair of lungs, take pics and submit)

It is a really good, and really thorough school. I was pissed about Chem II but it was my fault for waiting so late into the term to take the test. You have 3 attempts on the test before you have to pay extra, and in order to take the test you have to pass the preassessment or if you can't you get the joy of going through a guided study plan with the mentor. Each student is assigned a mentor and they call weekly or every two weeks depending. Their job is to keep you motivated and on task. There are also course mentors if you are having trouble in a particular class. Resources include the library, conference calls, course compass, thinkwell, text books, etc. Science classes that require it have lab packs they send you (my chem pack was freaking cool)

2 years in. 2.5 years to go for me (including student teaching which they contract through local schools. I am also still required to take the praxis, cpr, fingerprinting, etc for the teaching)

An amazing charity
Please remind your children what to do if their clothing catches fire. It could save their life.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in