10-15 pages - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Syber Students Support for Moms in school.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Holy crap they actually sat together and smiled
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Coralblur
10-15 pages

That is what my research paper has to be Click here to enlarge which would not be bad but I went with autsim differences in boys and girls. It's a really good topic and it interests me but I guess I didn't consider that 80% of my sources were going to be between 8-20 pages of pure statistical data from various studies. I have waded through so much and I have no idea what I am going to write Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Someone kill a chicken for me because I think this paper is going to be the death of me.

An amazing charity
Please remind your children what to do if their clothing catches fire. It could save their life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Hard-Core Sybermom

I just counted. I have 22 pages printed out (not counting the references pages). I have another 22 page paper saved, a 10 page paper and a 7 page paper. I also have to find more sources because at least one of my bookmarked sources disappeared and I have to have at least 10 sources. I swear the paper I wrote last time was way more fun Click here to enlarge

An amazing charity
Please remind your children what to do if their clothing catches fire. It could save their life.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm currently working on a paper about 18th century poets. 10 pages, and we need to use at least 7 sources. I feel for you. Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

10-15 pages

Do you use ebscohost? Try a different database and see if you can get some less statistical and technical pieces. ERIC is more education related, I think. Even a database that searches magazines rather than journals might give you some more accessible stuff.

FMT is my spokesperson.

My blog
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Hard-Core Sybermom

I do have stuff that isn't study based found from googling, but they are more pieces from things like Newsweek. I think the issue is the subject. I use ebscohost (and whatever else the online library through my school has access to) and I just don't think there is a ton out there about this.

Now I have reached a standstill because I am looking for something very specific I found years ago and I can't find it now Click here to enlarge

An amazing charity
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Are you or have you done searches that are just "autism and boys" and "autism and girls" so you can just do the comparison type stuff yourself?

FMT is my spokesperson.

My blog
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 10:45 AM
MHM
Unsupportive Freeloader

You can also talk about the different interventions that are used for the various symptoms. That might take up a little room. Click here to enlarge
And maybe how teachers react to boy vs. girls with autism; how diagnosis are made; maybe prognosis for future?
I had 3 children with autism 2 years ago- and 2 of them were girls, which is unusual.

I wrote a paper on educational environment considerations for children with autism, and it has a bunch of resources at the bottom- I can email that to you if that helps at all?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Hard-Core Sybermom

It's unfolding. I have to hand it to my class. This is the first time I have done an outline first. Normally I write, then edit/rearrange as necessary. The outline helped immensely and shows me exactly what I still need to research.

So far I still haven't done any writing.

I need an opening and thesis statement which I am still working on.
I am covering what autism is including diagnosis criteria and will cover Kanners, Aspergers and PDD-NOS and will also cover proposed changes for the DSM-V.
I am covering how autistic traits differ between girls and boys, particularly for high functioning autism including aggression v. internalization, difference in types of obsessions, social adaptation, cultural conditioning and peer protection. I am still debating if I am going into the additional risks to girls on the spectrum such as sexual predators and eating disorders.
I also plan on going into male v female brain, how sex hormones influence brain development and how autism fits in
I need to go over statistics and how the presentation of symptoms and possible underdiagnosis of girls (and evidence towards the overdiagnosis of boys) fits in.
I also have several theories about what could cause autism and why it may explain the higher number of boys who have it (multiple gene theory, sex linked gene theory, fetal testosterone theory, etc)

If I am missing anything, feel free to let me know. I think I can pull it off. I just needed to quit reading and start organizing Click here to enlarge

An amazing charity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in