Sybermoms Parenting Forum - View Single Post - Here I am
Thread: Here I am
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
luvmaboyz
Ambulance Chaser

Talking Here I am

Well, after my little tongue in cheek mention of my huffing and puffing on the ME, I can safely admit to you guys, it scared the crap outta me!

I am 31yo and I have been smoking since I was 14. I have a strong family history of emphysema/lung cancer etc, in fact a strong family history of cancer in general. I have already had my own brush with cancer and I cannot believe I am still stupid enough to be lighting up each day.

My brother is only 35 this year and he has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, he has early emphysema. I can't even walk to the end of my own street without almost passing out from breathlessness. This isn't right and it isn't funny. It is terrifying.

Add to that, even though I don't smoke in the house or car and I attempt not to smoke outside around my kids, they know that I smoke. After feeling like crap yesterday, it was only compounded when my 3yo and I played shops in the afternoon and he sold me a pack of cigarettes Click here to enlarge

I need to stop. I use it as an emotional crutch, not to mention the physical addiction. I spoke to my dh about it (he is also a smoker but not as many/day as me). He seems to think we should set a stop date and withdraw slowly. I don't know. I just want something to get this shit out of my system now!!

Is it easier to withdraw slowly or cold turkey? Can you give me any hints or tips on coping with the psychological effects of giving up? How do you not put on a tonne of weight? I don't want to give up smoking to get more fit and end up a heifer, kwim?

I am deadly serious about it this time. I am prepared to do whatever it takes to be here for my kids until I am 105! I want to stop killing myself, now.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome