What to bring (and not to bring) - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Syber Strollers Sybermoms are hitting the road, training for the 3-Day Walk Against Breast Cancer. Yes you CAN do it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Twinsanity Twatwaffles
What to bring (and not to bring)

Linked from the "travel" section: http://www.kintera.org/faf/home/ccp....0112&ccp=36074

What to Bring

Clothing
Bring clothing appropriate for all types of weather - including cold, rain, and heat.
Two pairs of shoes
T-shirts and shorts
Waterproof jacket
Underwear and sports bra
Two pairs of socks per day
Sweat pants, long pants
Warm fleece or sweater
Sleepwear
Sweatband and hat
Bandanas
Shower shoes

Camping Gear
Sleeping bag, air mattress or pad, and pillow
Plastic sheets or tarp
Clothespins (to secure plastic)
Flashlight and batteries
Towel and washcloth
Mylar blankets
Waist pack with water bottle

First Aid
While we'll have the supplies and crew to tend to any major medical issues on the event, you should bring your own supplies for tending to minor medical and personal problems along the route.
Any required prescription medications
Sunscreen and lip balm
Antiblister aids
Vaseline and foot powder
Antacid and pain reliever
Bandages, gauze and tape
Insect repellent
Disposable plastic bags

Toiletries
Toothpaste and toothbrush
Moisturizer
Nail clippers
Shampoo, conditioner, and soap
Razor and small mirror
Baby wipes for hand washing on the route
Deodorant
Feminine products

Miscellaneous
Water bottle or Camelbak
Sunglasses
Earplugs
Battery operated alarm clock and watch
Camera and film
Tent flag or marker
Journal and pens
Identification
Money and credit cards
Special snacks for medical or dietary needs

Crew Gear for Crew Members
Work gloves
Back support
Pocket knife

What Not to Bring

Electrical appliances (including hair dryers, cell phone chargers, etc.) because there are no electrical outlets available in camp.
Headphones or portable music players. For safety reasons, you may not wear headphones while walking.
Valuables or breakable items.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 09:45 AM
Diz
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

They have towel on there, yet I thought there was a towel service?

Bazinga
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Twinsanity Twatwaffles
Towel service is an additional charge ($10, I think) that is arranged on Day Zero when we check in.

Rather than lug around damp, smelly towels, I'm doing the service!
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Diz
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

me too!! Click here to enlarge

Bazinga
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Location: Where there are only 2 seasons - winter and construction

Send a message via Yahoo to Alias
I was nervous when I saw towel up there. I would get them and just throw them away if they did not have a towel service. No way I would put wet towels back in my suit case.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to gingah Send a message via Yahoo to gingah Send a message via Skype™ to gingah
for $10 I would do the service too.

I'm not sure we have that option in Toronto though, I'll have to find out. Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Hard-Core Sybermom

Oh I am so doing the towel service! Click here to enlarge

I'm going to have to print off this list so that I can pore over it and mark things off as I pick items up. I can't believe how much stuff I still have to get! Click here to enlarge
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 11:50 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Definitely do the towel service. It's well worth it.

And I recommend that your sunscreen also be an insect repellant, in a size small enough to fit in your waistpack. Bugs love sweat.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 11:53 AM
Diz
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I think for this I would do the combo, normally I don't but one weekend isn't going to hurt.

Bazinga
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Suggestion, under camping gear they suggest "plastic sheets or a tarp."

Get a cheap shower curtain liner. We used one on the floor of our tent and it kept the worst of the flood from getting into our sleeping bags and duffels.

Also throw in a couple of BIG trash bags. A water-resistant duffel isn't water PROOF, and you'll want something to wrap around your duffel in case it rains.

And when they say "pillow," it doesn't mean bedpillow (who has the room?). I have a tiny little camping pillow.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Just AmyG
Ambulance Chaser

One of the deflating travel sized pillows might be a better idea, they save a lot of room and aren't bad for sleeping on a couple of nights. From camping a lot, I'd second the shower curtain, they are small, pack tight, and don't take up as much room as a tarp. there are super small towels that are great for camping--they wring out and get almost completely dry--if you can't afford it or they don't have the towel service and don't take up as much space as a regular towel would.

For organization and speed of getting ready each day, I'd suggest packing in huge ziploc bag by DAY--so for day 1 you pull out a bag and it has your clothes, socks etc. at the end of the day you dump your leftovers in the ziploc bag and pull out a new one.

Add a daily ziploc bag inside of what you'll need to change in your fanny pack each day, new bandaids, chapstick maybe, chewing gum, change of socks etc. Then pull the larger stuff out(ID, sun/bugscreen) dump the yucky stuff into the garbage can, and add everything back.

Then have a ziploc bag for "after hours" clothes, sleepwear, personal stuff/minimal shower gear. And bring a handful of extra ziploc bags to put wet/sweaty clothes in.

If you know 100% who your tent mate is, you might can share stuff so your duffel won't be so overloaded--like shampoo or toothpaste, snacks or other items that are easily shared.

Good luck gals!
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Has anyone tried any of the Avon Skin So Soft bug guard plus sunscreen spf 30 ($10.00)? Also, I would recommend your chapstick or lip balm have a spf as well. I also just saw in the Avon catalogue the Therapeutic Friction Control Anti Blister cream ($5.99). They also have spf 15 lip balm ($.79). I've never really used Avon so wonder how well they work. The price sure is right!

And Julie said "Futz", "Futz" said Julie.
"Futz around until my return."
The definition of "futz" was something we had yet to learn,
But we tried to do it anyway, anyway,
'Cause Julie, we'll do anything you say.

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 07:00 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to pumpkinsmom
Toronto does not have a towel service, but it is also only one night of camping.

Cancer is a word not a sentence.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 07:31 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I used the Skin So Soft sunscreen/bug repellent during my first 3-Day. It worked great! When we were stuck on the path in the woods surrounded by swamp and bugs, I didn't get a single bite!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally posted by reporterbabe
I used the Skin So Soft sunscreen/bug repellent during my first 3-Day. It worked great! When we were stuck on the path in the woods surrounded by swamp and bugs, I didn't get a single bite!
Yeah, the bugs were all frozen Click here to enlarge
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

That was Day One, not Day Two. :P Click here to enlarge

I can't believe that was two years ago this week! Click here to enlarge
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 04:10 PM
angelbitch
Ambulance Chaser

What to Bring

Two pairs of shoes - we didn't do this one, and we were fine - even in the rain. The thing to do is bring DIFFERENT shoes to wear around camp - NOT FLIP FLOPS! b/c then your walking shoes can be drying off in the tent. Well, that's what worked for us - we couldn't afford two pair, kwim?

T-shirts and shorts - we only brought one pair of shorts - which worked well....again, couldn't afford all the nice good shorts etc...

Two pairs of socks per day - kinda excessive - especially if you don't sweat a lot....we brought 2 extra pairs each, and NEVER used them....always a good idea to have at least one extra....but, still....I wound up wearing same socks EVERY day - b/c I bought mine at the shop in camp, b/c my socks were HURTING...

Bandanas - DEFINITE plus - very versatile! Click here to enlarge

Mylar blankets - NO!!! Don't do it! They are SO LOUD - you wanna shoot people, they make so much noise in them! A nice, cheapo vinyl shower curtain works the SAME - and no noise!!!

Sunscreen and lip balm - TOTAL must.....and I second the choice for the Avon SSS - the BEST DEET free insect repellant - I've seen bugs fly at me, get a whiff, and make a u-turn...

Antiblister aids - you do NOT want to wait in line for these at the med tenst - TRUST ME! LOL!

Razor and small mirror - uh, razor??? seriously, anyone caught shaving their legs in the shower and holding up the lines will be smacked Click here to enlarge

Tent flag or marker - get REALLY creative - it's fun to take pics of everyone's tenst and see the creativity....

Journal and pens - ok, I don't know about everyone ELSE, but I sooo didn't have the time or ENERGY to be doing this one...LOL!

Pocket knife - I say bring one of these for walkers too.....helps when you can't open packets, etc...

Seriously evaluate your OWN needs, too - because, like I said, we brought the recommended stuff, and found some stuff was superfluous for us. We didn't train a ton, either, and did pretty well, IMO....so with training, you can SO DO THIS!!! Click here to enlarge

HUGS
Deanna
(Chicago crew-member)
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm not a walker but I just wanted to say something about the Avon Skin So Soft. My dh is in Iraq and the SSS is highly coveted among Marines because it works so well. You can get a great deal on ebay but make sure you check the expiration date. I got two new bottles for 3 bucks.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 05:06 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally posted by angelbitch
Two pairs of socks per day - kinda excessive - especially if you don't sweat a lot....we brought 2 extra pairs each, and NEVER used them....always a good idea to have at least one extra....but, still....I wound up wearing same socks EVERY day - b/c I bought mine at the shop in camp, b/c my socks were HURTING...

<snip>

Journal and pens - ok, I don't know about everyone ELSE, but I sooo didn't have the time or ENERGY to be doing this one...LOL!

Don't knock the socks until you try it! Believe me, nothing felt better than putting on new socks at the lunch break!

And as far as the journal and pens go -- I brought both PLUS a reporter's notebook, which I stuffed in my waistband every day so I could take notes while walking! Then when I got back to camp, I wrote out stories in my journal and called them in on my cell phone.

The journal turned out to be a godsend when my notebook disappeared sometime between closing ceremonies and getting into my mom's car. That still pisses me off. All those notes, those names and addresses, GONE! Still managed to write a good 40 inch story without it...
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I am bringing a notebook and pen for names and addresses of my posse. Click here to enlarge

And Julie said "Futz", "Futz" said Julie.
"Futz around until my return."
The definition of "futz" was something we had yet to learn,
But we tried to do it anyway, anyway,
'Cause Julie, we'll do anything you say.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in