fundraising - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Syber Strollers Sybermoms are hitting the road, training for the 3-Day Walk Against Breast Cancer. Yes you CAN do it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

fundraising

Last night I sent out 61 e-mail letters. Last year in my letters I asked for $100, and many gave $100. This year I didn't say an amount.

So far nothing. It is less than 12 hours, I guess, but I want that first donation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 06:37 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Harlot
Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge I'm sending mine out today. I was going to yesterday but ran out of envelopes. Click here to enlarge I'm so glad you are walking, rebel. Click here to enlarge

I never thought I could...
Steady feet, don't fail me now

I don't remember what day this is without coffee, but it's a day and it's going.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:00 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Location: Where there are only 2 seasons - winter and construction

Send a message via Yahoo to Alias
That is great that you sent them out already. I am sending mine out today - the e-mails that is!!! Then next week I will focus on the letter mailing!

Luckily my sister's baby has his babtism this weekend. I will bring a ton of forms and a ton of begging scripts!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Alias, that sounds like a great opportunity!

My parents are going to send me their "Christmas Card list", and I'll be doing snail mails from that. Anyone know anything about donating from other countries/other currencies? Canada would count for this Click here to enlarge so I figure some folks here will know.
Most of my parents friends/family who have known me since before I was born Click here to enlarge are in New Zealand or England.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:40 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Can you guys share what you wrote? I need help!

Thanks Click here to enlarge

good luck@!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

This year on Mother’s Day, I decided to make a very special commitment. Over three days this September, I will be walking 60 miles in the Breast Cancer 3-Day. This walk will be much more than “just a walk” – it will be raising money to support the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund.

In 2004, I participated in the 3-Day walk in the Twin Cities. This was a truly awesome event, and I’d be glad to share my photos of it with you. I was able to raise about $3000, which I had achieved by 7 months prior to the walk. Many of my supporters may have donated because they didn’t think there was any way that I could do 60 miles, being the out of shape middle aged mom that I am. I did it last year, and now I’m bound and determined to do it this year, too!

I have committed to raising $2,100 to participate in this walk. I’m asking you to make a commitment too. Please consider making a fully tax-deductible donation to help me achieve this goal. I’ll be doing all the walking...all you need to do is donate using the link at the end of this page, or contact me if you'd rather donate by check. I'm hoping to have met my minimum goal by summer solstice.

Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death for all women, and the leading cause of death in women between the ages of 40 and 55. Both its cause and the means for its cure remain undiscovered. Currently, one million women in the U.S. have the disease and probably won’t know about it for another five to eight years. I’m taking on this challenge to do something big that will help raise awareness and help in finding a cure. I hope that by the time my daughter is an adult, it no longer will be considered a potentially fatal disease.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I hope that you’ll share in this incredible adventure with me. Please call me or e-mail me if you have any questions.

-----------------------

To the people who work directly with me, I also put a little paragraph about why I didn't think I could do this (a number of physical problems in the past 8 months), and why I'm doing it anyway. After all they've been listening to me whine for months.

I welcome suggestions. Like, do I put in there that my mother had breast cancer and maybe that's why I chose Mother's Day to sign up? (actually, it was the waiving of registration fee...) And now my first cousin has breast cancer.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oh, and I'm in that age 40 to 55 age range, so that's why I chose that one of all the possible statistics to include.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Great letter! I'm working on mine this weekend. I'm waiting for the actual fundrasing forms until I start hitting up the people at work. My friends have also agreed to fundraise on my behalf through their jobs.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 06:47 PM
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I've chosen today, Mother's Day, to make a very special announcement:

This year, I'll be participating in a very special event called the Breast Cancer 3-Day.

I'll walk 60 miles over the course of three days with thousands of other women and men. The net proceeds will support breast cancer research, education, screening and treatment through the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund.

OK, those of you who know me well can pick yourselves up off of the floor ;-)

Yes, I am really going to walk 20 miles a day for 3 days. And, those of you who know me well also know that once I've made up my mind to to something, I do everything I can to accomplish that goal.

To accomplish this particular goal, I need your help. I can do the walking - In Dallas. In June. I'm *pretty* sure I will survive Click here to enlarge Here's where you come in:

I've agreed to raise at least $2,100 in donations. I've set my personal goal at $5,000. So I need your help. Would you please consider making a donation? $5, $10, $50, $200, $1,000? Absolutely ANY amount you can give is appreciated and, more importantly, is truly needed. If 210 people donate just $10, then each one of you have helped me to meet the minimum amount.

You know what else you can do? You can forward this to everyone you know and ask them to help too. None of us are in this alone - all of us know someone that has been affected by breast cancer. When you click on the link below, you can read about the 3 special women in my life.

On the first day of the walk, I'll be wearing a pink T-shirt with the names of my grandmothers and my aunt. I would be honored to add the name(s) of someone special to you - just reply to this e-mail to let me know.

According to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, approximately 200,000 American women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year, and nearly 40,000 will die from the disease. That's why I'm walking so far. To do something bold about breast cancer. I hope that you'll share this incredible adventure with me -- by supporting me in my fundraising efforts.

Thank you in advance for your generosity!

Sincerely,
Kimberlyn

I've sent a few variations on the above - of course, I've removed the Mother's Day part.

I'm working on a n e-mail to send out next week (nothing like spamming people Click here to enlarge) that says I am 1/4 of the way to my minimum, (or wherever I am at that point) and thank everyone who donated already, please forward to your friends, blah blah blah, how much I've walked in the past week, etc. AND I will point out the donation deadline - I didn't realize it was so early Click here to enlarge and I have some checks comeing that most probably won't get credited in time Click here to enlarge
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to pumpkinsmom
I update on a regular basis (about once a month) My latest is here some where. Usually at this point I've generated more interest. Perhaps I need to do something different - the question is, what?

Cancer is a word not a sentence.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 06:27 AM
angelbitch
Ambulance Chaser

What are you doing this time?

Sometimes, when people see WHEN you're walking, they put off their donations, etc....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in