I had forgotten - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Just Out of the Oven The first year of your baby's life is so crazy and fun. You need a place to get support and advice from other members with newborns, as well as somewhere to brag and tell funny stories.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I had forgotten

How messy solids is for the first couple months. Click here to enlarge Sam had his first jar of pears this morning and I swear only a teaspoon actually made it to his tummy. Click here to enlarge But he seemed to enjoy it, especially razzing it out and spraying it all over Mommy and his sisters. Click here to enlarge

He is almost 7 months so we are starting really late but he seems to be a bit behind on physical skills so I wasnt rushing anything. He is only just starting to learn to sit up on his own right now and still falls over a lot. Click here to enlarge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I know what you mean! Brookie loves eating time but I don't think she's really eating much Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Solids are fun, but a total PITA. Click here to enlarge I'm going to wait until after our beach vacation at the end of August to start, because I don't want to mess with it. Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Yummy!
I made myself CRAZY trying to get dd to eat solids because everyone was freaking out at my about her not eating actual food. She didn't eat much at all until at least 9 months and no real quantity until a year old.

but I tried like fucking crazy until we were both beside ourselves Click here to enlarge

turns out she liked food, she just hated being spoon fed so once she could just eat cubed soft stuff it was fine.

I never had those cute moments of spoon feeding fruit into the baby bird mouth though Click here to enlarge

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Nurse Send a message via Yahoo to Dr. Nurse
I didn't either Yummy, both of the boys hated pureed crap, though Xander grudgingly ate some of it, Trent acted like it was evil poison.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

this second kid is going to be much less stressed out by a mother trying to do all the things other people say babies NEED to do at certain ages Click here to enlarge

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:12 PM
G- 9, S- 5
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via MSN to stains
Click here to enlarge sweet boy
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Yummy and Pierced, I keep getting confused by your similar holes. Click here to enlarge

DS is at the stage now where he won't let me feed him anything unless I am super sneaky and fast and let him have the bowl and a spoon of his own. And he likes to throw. He is working on his new manual, "How to use yogurt as a tasty treat, facial/hair treatment, and a projectile weapon!" Click here to enlarge
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:26 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

As messy as my kid is making breastfeeding (milk spraying EVERYWHERE when he pops off in the middle of sucking) I am scared of how messy solids are going to be. At least I've got a good while before that happens. Click here to enlarge
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to tweedledum Send a message via MSN to tweedledum Send a message via Yahoo to tweedledum
Click here to enlarge this is why i was so lazy about purees with sawyer. i just waited til she could eat off our plates at about 9-10 mo
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 02:04 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Mine were all pretty neat eaters. Click here to enlarge #3 was probably the messiest (and still can get food all over the place when she wants.) I think having food on the tray for them to play with helped a lot, so I'd always have something (Cheerios, peas, cheese, chicken, fish etc.) to keep them occupied while I spoon fed them.

I haven't started E on solids yet but she's showing an interest in what I'm eating so after her 6 month check-up I'll probably start. I was just so intent on getting her weight gain up I thought solids would impede that so why start early.

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Yeah, I was lucky too. Rob started solids at around 5 months (per ped and LC recommendation-because of his skinniness). He took to my pureed foods. In his whole life he's probably eaten 10 jars of baby food (9 of those at my MiLs). Have you tasted that stuff? It's nasty. We just mashed whatever we were eating.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Im just going to continue on this current thread....

DS has a really easy gag reflex. He is 7 months old and has had some jarred foods in level 1 and 2. I gave him mushed up avocado yesterday and he gagged and vomited all over the place. This wasnt really so bad.... about 4 days ago I tried giving him a cheerio and he choked, then gagged, then vomited all over in my hands. Click here to enlarge At least with the avocado he didnt choke and he vomited on his tray.

Soooooo, do I just stick with jarred food for a while longer? I admit I was feeling lazy and wanted him to try eating on his own while I ate my own dinner.

I have also tried those stupid mesh food things and they are disgusting and impossible to clean. I refuse to use them because they just dont come clean no matter what I do.

Do I really need to stick to jarred food? Click here to enlarge I am so lazy with this 3rd child, I swear. Click here to enlarge

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

M.ama - my oldest was like that with the gag reflex. She gagged on Cheerios until she was close to 11 months old. I thought she'd eat only jarred food forever. Click here to enlarge She was in daycare, so honestly it was a lot easier just to send her in with jars of food. I did mash up whatever we were eating for dinner and let her eat that but during the day it was jarred food.

She did finally get over her inability to eat anything chunky. It just took her longer.

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

if he likes food and you don't mind messy, just put glops on his tray and let him stick his fingers in it to keep him busy Click here to enlarge

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
this second kid is going to be much less stressed out by a mother trying to do all the things other people say babies NEED to do at certain ages
That's exactly how I am this time. Click here to enlarge With Weston, I was all, "zomg, he's not ROLLING YET and he's FOUR MONTHS OLD!!!!" Owen just started rolling over at like 6.5 months, and I was all, "Shit. Mobile baby. Not good. Please don't." And Weston was a huge eater of solids...Pureed, finger foods, whatever. He loved his food. Owen likes the boobie and not much else and gags and gags over everything and I'm kind of glad, because I don't have the time or inclination to sit around and, you know, feed him. Click here to enlarge
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to tweedledum Send a message via MSN to tweedledum Send a message via Yahoo to tweedledum
Click here to enlarge the pedi said at reese's 2 mon appt: "remember, we suggest waiting on solids til 6 months" and i laughed and said "uh yeah. they are messy and annoying and purees smell so dont you worry"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in