Bottle weaning...Help! - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Just Out of the Oven The first year of your baby's life is so crazy and fun. You need a place to get support and advice from other members with newborns, as well as somewhere to brag and tell funny stories.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Bottle weaning...Help!

So Nick is my first bottle feeder and have really been flying blind for the most part. He's going to be a year in another week (Click here to enlarge) so I guess I need to start thinking about weaning him from the bottle, huh? Or do I? I have no idea.

He gets 3 a day and has for the last several months. One mid-morning, one about an hour after dinner and then one before bed. They're not huge--maybe 4-7 oz each and he does still nurse several times the day (and at least once during the night still). He eats quite a bit in terms of solids and does great wtih a sippy; he'll drink about 8 oz over the course of the day (at meals) from his Advent cup.

He sure does love that nice, warmed up bottle though. Click here to enlarge It makes me nervous even thinking about getting him to give it up.

So how exactly do I go about doing this? Click here to enlarge

"Hands that help are far better than lips that pray."

--Robert G. Ingersoll (1833-1899)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to tweedledum Send a message via MSN to tweedledum Send a message via Yahoo to tweedledum
im on the "why does he have to give it up" fence. esp the morn and afternoon ones. if you wanted to get rid of one - then get rid of the last one first. or start slooowwwwly changing them all to water. then they'll be boring. or then who cares if he's drinking it bc its water! Click here to enlarge

but i am also someone who thinks of the bottle as a drinking device no different than anything else. he'll still drink out of a sippy and open cup even when he has a bottle to drink out of too if he likes it Click here to enlarge some kids love them - and i dont think you have to nix it because of age. id just change the liquid inside of it!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I will just sit here and watch this thread. says the mom who has an almost two year old still getting bottles during the night. Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to tweedledum Send a message via MSN to tweedledum Send a message via Yahoo to tweedledum
my 3 year old took a bottle to bed Click here to enlarge just of water. she drank it and put it away. but she was attached to it Click here to enlarge i had no reason to tell her no. it wasnt hurting anything. then one day (after trying the same tactic 50 times) i said "wanna pick out cups and get rid of those bottles?" and she said yes. before then she'd have a meltdown about it. then it was over. Click here to enlarge

and ive said before that sawyer (almost 2.5) still has bottles bc she has medicine in them and i KNOW she'll finish a bottle, but won't finish a sippy. so she always has at least 1 bottle a day to get the meds in her. then the rest of the day is open cup or sippy.

i see no harm is trying to wean him off, but in the same sense, i see no harm in letting him keep them, changing the milk to water, and saving the tears for a while. some kids love their bottle like a lovey Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I prep mine before hand. I believe in heating bottles (b/c breastmilk comes out warm and I want to imitate that as much as possible) but as they near one I gradually heat them less and less. A couple or a few weeks before 1 they will be on cold milk (we use ready-to-feed formula so it is in the fridge of course). We started the sippy cup before the temp change so they got heated milk in that too and it has gradually gotten colder just like bottles of milk have.

During this time we offer more sippies and save bottles for before nap and bed and if they wake up at night.

Oh and we are doing extended formula feeding. You are supposed to breastfeed until 24 months (or more) which I did with my other kids, so again, I plan on imitating that as much as possible with formula.

I do not think cows milk, soy milk, almond milk, etc alone are adequate nutrition at this age.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'm in your boat, Wren, E's my first 100% bottle-fed almost-one-year-old. My first weaned from the boob just after her first birthday. She was on bottles at daycare, but we gradually switched over to milk after her birthday but I thought she wasn't getting enough using a sippy cup so I let her keep her bottles until around 2 when I got sick and tired of washing them out.

Elena so far shows no interest whatsoever in a sippy cup. Fun to throw on the floor, not so fun to drink from. I'm going to get some whole milk next time I'm at the store and start giving that to her in a cup instead of just water. She does eat solids, but she's definitely getting her nutrition from formula, so like Smoothie I'm not necessarily going to stop the formula altogether.

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothieOperator View Post

I do not think cows milk, soy milk, almond milk, etc alone are adequate nutrition at this age.

isn't the idea that they are eating *food* with nutritional value at 1 year? obviously their nutrition isnt coming from milk.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

oh, i just read LTBL comment Click here to enlarge i get that some kids are just not big eaters. my bad.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Even my 12 month old with a hearty appetite doesn't eat well enough IMO to rely only on a milk other than breastmilk or formula. A lot of other countries (some in Europe, Middle East, etc) use formula for several years. They have like 4 stages Click here to enlarge
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge i thought about putting sawyer back on formula to fatten her up lol
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Holy crap they actually sat together and smiled
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Coralblur
I just switched over to bottles of water, cups of milk. I used straw cups for both kids which they liked a lot better than sippies. I would have let them have water in the bottles for as long as they wanted, but both were done at about 14 months doing that.

They were both fairly good eaters though, so it wasn't a huge deal.

An amazing charity
Please remind your children what to do if their clothing catches fire. It could save their life.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedledum View Post
Click here to enlarge i thought about putting sawyer back on formula to fatten her up lol
Have you noticed an improvement since you got her dx and meds?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothieOperator View Post
Have you noticed an improvement since you got her dx and meds?
yeah, prob about 4lbs? which is great i guess on a tiny body. she doesn't LOOK like she gained weight, to me. so i dont know if it was just a height bump instead of actual "fattening up", kwim? we'll go back in jan -- so we'll see how much of it was either then Click here to enlarge
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oh wow, 4 pounds is a lot! Yay!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Doodlewig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyerin View Post
I will just sit here and watch this thread. says the mom who has an almost two year old still getting bottles during the night. Click here to enlarge
Is he still? I weaned Hud from his overnight bottles over the last two weeks. It wasn't that bad. But he is awake more at night now and needs more comforting.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oh yeah. Last night he was up three times. Click here to enlarge I think it was because his tummy was upset or something though. Usually he's up once, drinks a whole bottle of milk and goes right back to sleep. Last night he drank 4-5 ounces each time and went right back to sleep. Click here to enlarge We tried weaning. He just moaned and groaned and wouldn't stay asleep.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Well, we are fucked six ways from Sunday at the moment because of being out of town for 2 solid weeks. Me, dh and the 3kids were all crammed in a tiny room so there was no sleeping happening. Now that we're home nick's back to wanting/needing middle of the night bottles in addition to his daytime ones plus nursing at night, blah blah blah...Click here to enlarge

So we're back in survival mode and putting off any weaning of any kind. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we'll get back on track and revisit the whole thing.

"Hands that help are far better than lips that pray."

--Robert G. Ingersoll (1833-1899)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in