I had to spend Christmas in the hospital - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Adults with Chronic Conditions A forum for adults who suffer from a chronic illness or condition to receive support.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Unhappy I had to spend Christmas in the hospital

We all spent the night at my mom's house on Christmas Eve. I was breathing fine. Christmas morning we woke up, my younger brother came home from his friend's house, and the kids started opening presents. I have no idea what started it, but my chest tightened up. Literally dh went to change the baby's diaper and I was fine, when he came back I was getting ready to pass out from lack of oxygen.

My mom fixed the nebulizer and I took two treatments. They did nothing. I was lightheaded, disembodied. It was horrible. I wanted so bad to watch the kids open their gifts but I was concentrating on not passing out. DH put my shoes on me, got the baby in the carseat, and raced us to the ER. We were all wearing our pajamas.

The ER doctor hears my history (ventilator twice, pneumothorax once) and immediately orders Solumedrol, which is an IV steroid. She tells me it's contraindicated for breastfeeding. By this time I've had a couple of neb treatments and can talk. I ask her for how long, because my ds has never had a bottle. She said 24 hours. The head nurse shakes his head, calls the LC at home on Christmas (how kick ass was that?) She says that Solumedrol is only a problem in high doses, as only a small amount passes through to breast milk.

So I'm breathing better, but my heart rate was holding steady at 150. The RT didn't seem too concerned, as my heart rate has topped over 200 bpm after an attack, but the ER doctor insisted on admitting me because of it.

They send me upstairs to a double room (I'm incredibly lucky to have always had single rooms). The other woman was about 500 lbs, 70 years old, with a horrific case of pneumonia. It was a nightmare. The bathroom was covered in piss. I used to work in a nursing home and it was a horrible flashback.

The nurse told me that as soon as the on-call doctor (who, coincidentally, was my pulmonologist) saw me I could go home. He would come in sometime during the afternoon. So we wait. And wait. Keep in mind we got to the ER at about 9 am. We waited some more. We ask if there is any medication that I need for my heart. They say no. I'm just stuck laying in this stupid bed, missing Christmas. Now, if I was receiving treatments I would have been fine. If I was on heart meds that the docs needed to make sure were effective I wouldn't have minded. But to just lay there all day was so frustrating. Plus the lady next to me was either hacking up a lung all day or harrassing the techs for a bedpan.

Finally at about 8 pm the doc came in, asked if I wanted to go home, and left. We got home a little bit after nine to finish opening presents. It has to have been the worst Christmas ever. I tried to count my blessings, that at least I got to go home on Christmas and everything, but that doesn't erase the fact that it was a shitty day.

To top it all off we have no idea what caused the asthma attack, and I've never had one come on that fast with so little warning. Now I'm so worried that it will happen again. It's my biggest fear to die of this stupid disease, to suffocate when there is so much available air. Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 05:43 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

i'm so sorry you had to go through that, sasha. i'm glad you are all right now.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 08:19 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oh wow!! I'm really sorry you had to go through that, especially on Christmas Day. I'm glad you are feeling better.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

So sorry to hear that. I had several patients back in my working days that had breathing issues and one asthmatic that stands out in particular. I could never forget the horror in her eyes as she struggled to breathe. So glad you're feeling better now and here's to hoping it stays that way. Any new ideas on what triggered you?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to McBong
Oh Sasha, how scary. I can't imagine how you must have felt. Do you have an epipen for emergencies, or does that not help with severe asthma attacks?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in