Sybermoms Parenting Forum - View Single Post - Sybermom vs. World Religions teacher
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
GreatScot
Ambulance Chaser

Sybermom vs. World Religions teacher

I knew it could go bad but I chose this course because I am very interested in learning about other people's faiths. I hoped that the teacher would be impartial and explain all religions as sacred and not be interested in judging them.

This is how my night went. I already wrote him an e-mail.

Dear [judgemental asshole]

I have a concern. I was very interested in taking your class because I am fascinated by cultures and faiths and try to view them without judgement. I know that this is how you intended to teach this class. However last evening I came away feeling as though you had violated your own standards of being unbiased with your emphatic belief that there is no Trinity. Perhaps there is no mention of the word trinity in the Bible, but there are interpretations that many people find intrinsic to their faith. Yesterday you declared that Christ was not God. You mocked the thought "How could I be my father?" I find that horrific. Whether or not you believe it is irrelevant. This is an explanation of what others believe and that it was I came there for.

Your comments on literalism were similarly biased. For some people in this world, literal interpretation of their scriptures are fundamental to their belief system. As I know no other faith systems to use as an example I will use my own. You stated that the belief that one way is the only way will inevitably cause evil and it shouldn't be embraced. My Christ said that He is the way, the truth and the life. He said that himself and you want me to consider his words lies? Or perhaps to consider the authors and editors of his words to be lies? This is how people are supposed to be introduced to world religions?

From your words and your demeanor, I anticipated in the first half hour that I would truly enjoy this class. Now I fear that it will be an exercise in restraint for me as you unabashedly make statements about my religion. Moreso you made sweeping generalizations about 'conservatives and liberals'. You may feel that only conservatives impose their beliefs on others. I can say that liberals impose their disbelief on others. Both are incendiary comments.

Please tell me that this is not typical of your weekly presentation. I cannot drop the course and if I had to be exposed to these types of judgements every week I would be very dismayed.

It's gonna be a long 16 weeks. Click here to enlarge

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome