Here I am - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Kickin Butts A forum for those who are trying to quit smoking and those who already have to provide support and encouragement.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Talking Here I am

Well, after my little tongue in cheek mention of my huffing and puffing on the ME, I can safely admit to you guys, it scared the crap outta me!

I am 31yo and I have been smoking since I was 14. I have a strong family history of emphysema/lung cancer etc, in fact a strong family history of cancer in general. I have already had my own brush with cancer and I cannot believe I am still stupid enough to be lighting up each day.

My brother is only 35 this year and he has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, he has early emphysema. I can't even walk to the end of my own street without almost passing out from breathlessness. This isn't right and it isn't funny. It is terrifying.

Add to that, even though I don't smoke in the house or car and I attempt not to smoke outside around my kids, they know that I smoke. After feeling like crap yesterday, it was only compounded when my 3yo and I played shops in the afternoon and he sold me a pack of cigarettes Click here to enlarge

I need to stop. I use it as an emotional crutch, not to mention the physical addiction. I spoke to my dh about it (he is also a smoker but not as many/day as me). He seems to think we should set a stop date and withdraw slowly. I don't know. I just want something to get this shit out of my system now!!

Is it easier to withdraw slowly or cold turkey? Can you give me any hints or tips on coping with the psychological effects of giving up? How do you not put on a tonne of weight? I don't want to give up smoking to get more fit and end up a heifer, kwim?

I am deadly serious about it this time. I am prepared to do whatever it takes to be here for my kids until I am 105! I want to stop killing myself, now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 01:58 PM
Hard-Core Sybermom

Luvvy, I am so glad that you're here. First and foremost, you made a huge step toward quitting just by coming here and sharing your story with us. Click here to enlarge

Secondly, set a quit date... it can be as soon as you want, or as far away as you want... but whatever it is, stick to it! I recommend setting a date that is AT LEAST two weeks from today, simply because you need time to mentally prepare yourself for what you're about to do.

Different people handle quitting differently, and like with most things, you need to determine what is going to work best for you. Personally, I would recommend that you buy the patches and when your quit date arrives, stick one on!

Quitting cold-turkey can be absolutely torturous and ultimately lead to a very disappointing failure. It does work for some people, but I don't think it's the best way to go for most. (JMO)

As for the weight gain, instead of shoving food in your mouth, drink a glass of water. Not only does your body need it, but many times hunger pangs are actually a signal for thirst. Drinking the water will curb your need to eat something. Get on a healthy eating regimen and stick with it... that's something that should be done whether you quit smoking or not. Click here to enlarge

Psychological effects... this is a tough one. People are addicted to cigaretts for different reasons, and in different ways. Regardless, I think that having a positive mental attitude is going to kick 99.9% of any psychological issues in the butt. (Pun intended, dorky as it may be) Keep yourself busy. Most importantly, try to change around your daily routine that usually includes a smoke. (For example, if you have a cup of coffee on the patio every morning with a cigarette... now have your cup of coffee inside by a window.)

I'm not going to lie to you... quitting isn't easy, even when you have things like the patch or pills. However, it IS possible to succeed, and you CAN do this. Put your mind to it and don't give up. If you fall off the wagon, we'll be here to pull you back on it.

Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Hard-Core Sybermom

I also meant to comment on weaning-down. IMO it does not work, at least not permanently. I think that most anyone can get themselves down to 2-3 cigarettes a day if they really try, but it's only a matter of time before that number starts to creep back up again.

I mean, what happens the first time you have some really stressful event occur? I know that with me, the first thing I'm going to do is say "fuck this 2 smoke a day bullshit..." Besides, even with 2 cigarettes a day you're still pumping carcinogens into your body, and that's what we're trying to avoid by quitting.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to mominatrix
Glad to see you too and just want to add to Salty's very thorough advice

I did quit cold turkey and it sucked. It was really tough and drove me nuts, but I focused on my numbers (money I saved, how many cigarettes I haven't smoked, etc) www.quitnet.com is still a big help to me. There is even a sm-like buddy group called "crazy bitches" that has some cool women in it, everyone going through this together.

I'd also say focus on the baby steps, healthwise as well. You will be able to dance to a whole song in your kitchen after a month :dance

Be proud of yourself and spend $ on your self on anniversaries, be it monthly, weekly or even daily
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to ursula
quitnet.com is wonderful as mominatrix pointed out.

I wish you all the luck in the world. It's such a difficult thing to do, but given the right support, which you can find here, it's going to happen for you. You sound like you're fed up with cigarettes and that's great! Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in