I'm going to kick those damn butts... - Page 2 - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Kickin Butts A forum for those who are trying to quit smoking and those who already have to provide support and encouragement.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 06:35 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I totally remember the days when I used to try to justify smoking. You wouldn't believe the excuses I came up with! I was like my 11yo trying to get out of homework. Click here to enlarge

There were several times during previous quit attempts that I would say, "Well, just one won't hurt anything." Then it became two, then three, and then back to my old habits. It was like visiting an old friend -- except for the little fact that my friend was going to kill me one day.

I finally had to decide that I was not going to take even one puff ever again. I got it stuck in my head that Smoking is not an option. Keep repeating that. Smoking is not an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks you two,

I did end up going to get a smoke, and I did smoke it - last night around 9:00. It made me feel so awful. My mouth tasted like shit, I immediately got in the shower to wash the stink off of me. Then I laid in bed and cried for a little bit, feeling like such a jerk.

I have checked out the quittingsmokingonline site, but I really haven't read through a lot of it yet. That is my goal for today.

I still am going to do it though, I am ready to start all over. I know I need to just keep my mind off of it, stop obsessing. I think I am making it harder on myself than it needs to be. I know that I don't want to smoke, so why do I keep making myself crazy over not smoking?

So here we go, day 1 again...
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 07:31 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Good for you for trying again! Click here to enlarge

Read through that quitsmokingonline site, and maybe you'll change your mindset about smoking. Click here to enlarge

It isn't easy to quit smoking, and anyone who says that has never smoked or has been extremely lucky.

We're behind ya! Click here to enlarge
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Today has definitely been much better. I have not played the mind games hardly at all, big help. I did get irritated and pissed off a little, but I didn't let it get to me. I just told myself that being upset or stressed, or even smoking because of it wasn't going to help the situation any. I calmed down and got over it.

I haven't been tempted to smoke really at all today. I even noticed how stinky people (smokers) were at the grocery store today. I even made it into the 7-11 ONLY to buy drinks, and did not think twice about NOT buying smokes. I was so pissed and disappointed in myself for last night that I knew I could not give in. There were quite a few times when I told myself "smoking is not an option" - thanks chimi!!

I plan to start working out as soon as I can get to sleep at a decent hour, so I can get up early before Melita does. I am having trouble sleeping since quitting. I know it will get me on the fast track to feeling better and healthier. Plus I can't just keep eating all this extra stuff and not do anything to take it off!!!

Ready for day 2, again...
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

It's really very normal to get a bit of insomnia in your early days of quitting. Get yourself on a regular exercise routine -- about 30 minutes a day -- you will feel awesome, and you will be amazed at how your lung capacity increases as you exercise.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 07:56 PM
Rhettoric
Ambulance Chaser

That's why my insomnia got worse when I quit?! Wow, didn't put two and two together.

You're doing awesome Wabbit! And also to let you know, I've got two little ones and I found that I can do the workout with them awake. Justin, 7 months, I put on the floor to play with stuff. And Madalyn, 25 months, runs around the room playing or trying to do what Mommy does. I make sure I do it right after they've eaten, pooped, and aren't tired. It's worked so far! HTH!

KEEP IT UP!!! YOU'RE DOING AWESOME!
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

I just wanted to say that I have read up to day 7 on the course at quittingsmokingonline, and it is helping, alot. I am going to keep re-reading it when I get through it all, just to keep it fresh in my mind. Its pretty amazing to think about smoking and not smoking the way they talk about it. I imagine that using the practice of just experiencing feelings can be used for anything, too. I'm going to try it for when I get frustrated and irritated.

I am still doing really well today, (still smoke free) no problems except my stupid patch won't stay on!! I probably don't even need them, but since I already bought enough for the whole 10 weeks I will still use them. It helps me too, because I figure that I don't want to waste them, so I won't even think about taking it off just to smoke a stupid cigarette! I am adding to my important quotes list one by Dr. Phil about losing weight. "BE comitted, DO what it takes, and you will HAVE what you want" (maybe not quoted exactly but it works for me!)

If I can add my 2 cents in also about a key I think in quitting is, its to definitely have a support network. Let them know what you are doing, how your progress or lack thereof is going, and be open to whatever they have to say - even if they tell you that you are full of shit for making up excuses! I have told all of my family and friends about my efforts to quit, and they really have been great. It is so awesome to know that so many people are behind me in this, its so much easier than trying to do it all myself. I am doing the not smoking by myself, yeah, but its nice to have people to talk to about it. Just acknowledging how I feel makes me a lot let stressed/obsessed with the whole thing.

Thanks to you both also, Chimi and Rhettoric, for listening and giving me advice and encouragement.

Okay, I'llClick here to enlarge about it for now.
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Don't forget! We're here to give you a swift kick in the ass, too, if you need it. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Glad you've got a support system at home! That is sooo awesome! Click here to enlarge
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

I had such a good day! It was really a breeze. A couple of times I had cravings, but I just let them pass. I am so happy that I finally have control over my life again. What a weight off my shoulders.

That is a really great site! I wish I had known about it a long time ago!
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Thought I would give a small update. I am doing so well, I think. I am still not smoking on my 4th day. I still have quite a few thoughts/cravings, but I just let them sit there and don't indulge them. I am so happy to think of myself as a non-smoker, I congratulate myself many times each day for making the choice! I will still take it day by day, and just do my best.

So proud that I don't even want a nasty :ciggy
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:17 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge You made it over the first hump! You are officially nicotine free today! Click here to enlarge
post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Click here to enlarge Well I'm still wearing the patch, so I still have nicotine.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Who cares? I'm still amazingly proud of you! Click here to enlarge
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Had kind of a shitty day today, so I had more almost-cravings than the last few days. But I did NOT give in! I hope they start to go away soon, even so I am okay with the thoughts and the cravings. Mostly I just note to myself at different times during the day that I would normally be going out for a smoke. I didn't realize how much that was - it was a lot! So far I have not smoked 96 cigarattes. Makes me want to Click here to enlarge just thinking about it!
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Awesome job, Wabbit! Keep it up! I'm almost to week two of my quit, have been around people who smoke and haven't had one! You can do it!! Click here to enlarge
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Whodathunk! Congratulations to you too Click here to enlarge!

Today I am in a horrible mood, though trying not to be. Melita kept me up very late, and she got me up very early. I can tell she's going to be fussy all day from teething and messed up rest.

Anyway, I was dreaming I was smoking, and now this morning my brain is set on smoke mode. I don't want to be there, I don't want to smoke. I am doing my best to let these feelings pass, but they need to hurry up!! Click here to enlarge
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 08:02 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Isn't it weird that you have smoking dreams? Believe it or not, it is also very normal. Just think of nicotine as a little demon sitting on your shoulder. Trying to get you to smoke by any means possible. Don't give in. It's not worth it!

Tell that Nicodemon to fuck right off. You are stronger than he is.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Was a very shitty day today. Lots of times I thought how easy it would be to go back to mindless smoking.

I didn't do it. Proud of myself. Come on Day 5, gimmie your best shot!!
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Damn, Girl! You smell good! (That's my Will Smith impersonation.)

Click here to enlarge
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Click here to enlarge I do!! Patchouli shampoo... Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in