2 months and I am still struggling - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Kickin Butts A forum for those who are trying to quit smoking and those who already have to provide support and encouragement.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Unhappy 2 months and I am still struggling

I can't believe how bad I want one after 2 months. And I have gained 13 pounds. I didn't weigh this much after my kids were born.

When does the ache in your chest go away? Click here to enlarge

On another note, my lungs feel better, my cough is gone but dammit, dammit, dammit, I am struggling Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

It can be a struggle for a very long time. You will have good days and bad days, but I promise the worst is behind you. It will be tough on and off for another few months, just never give into the "just one" voice and you will never have to go through this again. I can assure you I am at 42 months (as of yesterday) and I almost never think about it anymore. It is kind of like pregnancy, you just have to accept that it does not work on your time table I am afraid.

As for the pain in your chest, I am not realy sure what you mean. I don't remember that. Are you refering to the feeling that you are coughing up a lung? If so then it should subside soon. Your lungs might still be working hard to get rid of the accumulated gunk now that they have the chance! If not then you may want to go to the doctor for a chest exray and breathing tests, just to be on the safe side.

To help you through bad cravings, why not peruse this page: http://whyquit.com/ . It has a lot of good motivation and insipation. Warning though, they play harball. Not all of the messages are pretty or kind, only go if you feel like you can handle it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

You can do it! If I can go almost a month now then you can make it too. The cravings aren't as bad anymore for me.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

The ache is my chest aching for a cigarette Click here to enlarge

I felt better a month ago. I was still all gung ho but now I am starting to wear down. I don't know if it is because I am going through a hard time personally but dammit, I really hope this subsides soon.

And good for you hooch! Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

and you too little dem! Click here to enlarge
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Ah, I get you now. Ok, try this. When the pain and tightness get realy bad breathe in and out slowly, just like you are taking a drag of a death stick.

Some times, as smokers, the only time we take deep calming breaths is when we are smoking. It became our way of taking some time out and relaxing and we need to replace that time when we stop. Smoking is insidious and can affect all of our reactions and reactions and we need to replace them. Do you get what I mean? The tightness and aching may be helped by just taking the time to chill out and relax. Also try realy, realy icy cold water. That always helped me.

In the end though it does go away. Some times it can get bad for a week of two, but that subsides. I have not had any major problems since about 9 months quit. I occasionaly get a minor crave, but I can bat it away easily. You will get there too if you just hang in there.

You are doing great btw! You realy are kicking ass and taking names. Awesome job!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm quitting again. My last smoke was yesterday morning. The last time I quit I made it seven months and caved to the 'just this one' thing.

Bootsy, I know all about the chest pain. If it's the same as mine was when I quit before, it's caused by very, very shallow breathing. I have no idea why I do it, but I'll catch myself taking small shallow breaths and not letting it all the way out, so that I'm not inhaling fully or exhaling fully.

I started breathing really deep and holding for a few seconds and even though it made me dizzy sometimes, Click here to enlarge it did help with the chest pain and cravings.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 12:04 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

bootsy i hope you're still hanging in Click here to enlarge i know how fucking hard it is, and goddamn it if i can get this far so can you. it is so worth it to fight through those first few months. Click here to enlarge

Like Annie it's a hard nock life...

"Let it be far from my feeble mental capacities to extrapolate on my myriad examples that in my field of business led me to my conclusion that it would be better safe than sorry."
Soapy - because she is smert.

Fuck you, Narnia!

http://www.sybermoms.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252503

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in