I will quit soon. - Page 2 - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Kickin Butts A forum for those who are trying to quit smoking and those who already have to provide support and encouragement.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via MSN to Annelies
Wow, that is awesome. Thank you so much for all the info!! I am really thinking I need to sign up for this. I do have a few questions:

* How long is the class that you learn to teach? A full hour?
-each CD is about 55 minutes. You need an intro, a goodbye. Besides that it is always very usefull to have 2 or 3 spare minutes to give some directions.

* Do you get just one cd when you enroll in the 3 day program, or a few different classes to teach?
-Click here to enlarge It's still very commercial, so you get 1 cd! You'll be trained on ONE class. You're supposed to teach that same class for 3 months. So after a year you have different releases, which gives you the option to make some nice mixes. But esp the first year one release per quarterly is more than enough. You'll find yourself and your participants growing in the poses, you'll find new and effective ways to cue, and since you can focus on many different things the classes won;t be boring. It's important though that you entertain yourself. BodyFlow is the one program in which participants don't look like they like it, but they usually look grumpy. Thye will love it, but they can't show it at the same time. It's funny, but a worldwide thing. So don't expect them to give you energy, but put a focus little bit different and catch the one sparkle in the eye of someone and let that tell you you're doing something that they love.
Focus can be breathing, the length and form of the spine, a right hipposition, the shoulderposition, a feeling-cue-only-class, after a while you can even get away with putting the mic off and don't say anything for a whole class. Sounds mean, but most people love it. It gives them a chance to experience the combination of music and moves, without being distracted. And never forget the candles in winter! Lights off, candles on... But before you do those things both you and your participants will need to know the moves. If they see you starting a sequence they'll know what they have to do.

* Exactly what do you walk away with when you do the training? (music, a video, reference manuals? a t-shirt? Click here to enlarge)
-A CD with the music, a DVD with the masterclass and a feel&focus-session. In the DVD there is also a booklet with the choreography. Int he training you'll also get a manual, which explains how to build a class, what the moves are meant for, and how to deal with several types of injuries and pregnancies.
Forget about the clothing, you'll have to pay for it! On some courses there is a chance to buy clothes, someties not. Depends on who the distributionpoint is! You can always order them via the internet.

* Is this the kind of class you really break a sweat in and work your heart rate?
-Depends. It's not an aerobicsclass, so you shouldn't expect to sweat much. And you can easily get away with not sweating at all. But if you go to your max you'll sweat like an idiot. The heartrate won't go up very much. Most sweating is in the static poses.
It does improve your level on fitness a bit, in a very gentle way. Because some static poses are so hard to maintain you'll build a little bit of muscle whilst you're still breathing in a normal tempo. Some people have great results of it, some none at all.

* Is this is a very advanced class, or is this something a beginner could try and not be too frustrated?
-Everyone can do it. Almost everyone that is. I once had someone who wanted to participate, but... she couldn;t stand on 1 leg (as in she couldn't use 1 leg at all), missed 3 ribs so she couldn't bend forward, she had had a couple of shoulderinjuries so she could lift one arm. I mean, come on. In that case go see a physio! But in most other cases everyone can do it. You can make it as hard as you want. People who have never one anything of sports and have a very bad condition can do it, and they'll have enough if they just try to follow the moves. If someone is allready in a perfect shape they can always find a challenge in going deeper, in asking that extra centimeter all the time.
For example; the oldest participant I've trained was 73 y/o. A guy who had a heartattack and was very overweight. Docs adviced him to go to the gym to do *something*. He loves it, still does participate. The participant who I think has the highest level is this girl: http://www.hoogspanningtrapeze.nl/ You won't be surprised that she is in a very good shape, but she uses the classes to gain more flexibility and she has great results from it!

* What about someone over the age of 55? Does this class seem impossible or do-able for someone a little older?
-Oops, I think in allready answered this one...

* Did you find it difficult to pass the certification process (performing the poses, etc on a video to send in...)
- Yes, I found it hard, BUT... That was mainly because I never taught any class before, I was nervous as hell and shalking all over. The training was very, very nice. I loved each and every second of it. I'm a fair bit overweight and was really like *oh dear, all those pretty and perfect girls, they'll all think *what the fuck is she doing here?!*
When I came to the training it was such a relief. I wasn't the only one who knew what fat is, I wasn;t the one in the worst shape, I wasn't the only one who never taught a class before, and almost everyone was nervous. Not everyone passed the training, the only ones that failed were the few people who came to the training and didn't look forward to it. They did what they had to do, but looked bored. The reason they went to the training usually was *I allready teach the other 6, so I want all 7*. They failed because they showed no passion. People like me, who didn't do it perfectly, who said the most stupid things, passed. They just said *teaching is something you'll learn from experience, you have the passion and we have the confidence that you're going to make it*
I was very nervous for the video as well, and after several tries (Click here to enlarge camera, flat batteries, sound didn;t work...) I got a video and sent it. It wasn't very good, I was so scared. But again; *nerves are clear, but underneath we can see that it is good.* So I got a pass. Honestly, don;t worry about it! Even I passed, and we have the biggest percentage of failing people. From the way you're interested in the program I cann allready tell you that you'll pass as well!

* Also, do you feel the need to upgrade your choreography & music every quarter? If so, how many of these classes are you teaching per week?
Definately! I'm always really looking forward to a new release. Always curious *what have they made up this time again*. I have done releases 15-29 and everything in between, and there has never been a release that didn't make it worth it. They all have beautiful tracks. It;s only every now and then that there are tracks that make me wonder...
The number of classes I teach is different. I started with 3 own classes, but within a couple of weeks my 2 own instructors had to leave for a longer peroid of time so I filled them in. So from that time on I had 4 months of 7 classes a week. When they came back I still shadowed with them (teamteaching) but i dropped 1 class so I did 6 times, 3 myself, and 3 with someone. Did that for quite a long time.
Recently i did the BodyPumptraining, and I'm teaching that now as well. Unfortunately that doesn;t leave much time for Balance anymore. And my fav. instructor left the gym to open a gym of her own. I can't get along well with the new girl, so I stopped shadowing those classes. Right now I teach 1 flow myself, and shadow one. As soon as the new gym opens I''ll work there as well, so I don't know how many hours I will get then. I'm still full of passion for the program, don't even think about giving it up.
I have to say though that I do mix quite a lot. There are certain tracks that i am SO crazy about that I can't stop teaching them over and over and over. The participants also really like to dig up some oldies again, after 2 months of the release we're supposed to be doing, I always give them the choice. We can do current song or *insert title* and let them vote. I also always give them the chance to request old songs, and sometimes they do so. They really like it.

I am in good shape, but almost worried that this will be really intense and hard for me to "pass" and become certified to teach it. I may be worrying for nothing, but have no experience in this type of class. I don't want to invest in the training, only to fail on becoming certified, ya know?

I see your point, but you won;t fail. You'll love it and you won;t regret it at all. Also consider this; if you teach freestyle you invest time in putting up choreo, finding music. With LM; you get it, you learn it, and you're done for 3 months. When you;re to the point of digging up oldies; you look at the tracks 2 more times and you know it all again. You don't forget them that easy anymore. So the classes are quite easy to teach!
But don't worry about passing. If you show passion you'll pass. No problem!

Thank you so much for the great info! Click here to enlarge

You're welcome! Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Yowza!
Ambulance Chaser

Well, dayam. I am sold. I contacted the gym that is doing the training here in a couple weeks to see if they have a spot for me! I am so excited after reading all of your info on it. I am hoping to get in now!! It sounds like this would be an awesome class to teach at different gyms around here. I actually work at a gym that is for 55 yr and older and I think they would love this class.

I got your IM, but I am in California and it was 2:15 am my time...
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

:dance Start stretching allready!
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

oh shit, only a couple of days to go Click here to enlarge
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Yowza!
Ambulance Chaser

So, how's it hangin'? You ready to do this!? Time to kiss those icky ciggies buh-bye!
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

ow fuck, I'm so trying to find a new *ritual* for when i normally smoke, but nothing seems right.
What do you guys do?
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Yowza!
Ambulance Chaser

Are you going to use anything to help you (patch, gum...) or are you just going cold turkey?

I seriously think the stop smoking cd's that I posted about might be helpful. I know you were concerned that they might have a sleepy effect on you, but maybe it would be worth a try. Click here to enlarge Maybe it is a good sign that these cd's are very effective on you.

Have you tried writing down a letter to yourself about all the things you hate about smoking and why you want to quit this habit so badly? Couldn't hurt to have that reading material when a craving hits to remind yourself why this means so much to you.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 07:26 PM

The letter sounds like a good idea. I couldn't find anything to 'replace' smoking with. When I quit I bought tons of regular gum, candy, and mints. I was living on Altoids Tangerine sours Click here to enlarge I started exercising too, that was the biggest help. It's really a great stress reliever most of the time.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'll use chewinggum, but only if I need it.
It's really breaking the habit that will be the big trick. I won't smoke when I'm at home, no way. But at work, when all the guys are asleep, and the last late shift and nightshift do a ciggie while chatting till the late hours, I'm SO used to roll one then (or 5 or 10 Click here to enlarge)
Or at the stables, you get your stuff, then you smoke one together, then you get you horse, ride, feed, smoke and chat. When the horse finished eating you put him back, then chat and smoke for hours, then put the saddle and all away.
Those are the moments that will be very hard.
I don't think a cd would help me there, if there's a way they would; please tell me.

About writing it down; I made a list of reason in this topic. And I'll keep kicking it as long as I think I need to. And read it over and over and over and over again.
I have a very hard time holding myself accountable, I will need SM's for that!

Click here to enlarge

I'm not looking forward to friday Click here to enlarge
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 07:57 PM

Sorry, I just remembered another thing that helped me. I let all of my friends and family know I was quitting, and asked them to check in on me whenever they thought about me. They were all really great and supportive, I had at least one person to answer to at all times. NO WAY was I going to be a loser and have to admit to all of them that I gave in and smoked!
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge
I did that!

I allready made everyone promise that NO MATTER how hard I'll beg they will NO give me anything to smoke, and told them to ignore me and refuse to talk with me if I don't make it and be very kind and patient if I do well.
Oh, and I'm not quitting alone. Someone at the stables is quitting and my best friend as well.
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Yowza!
Ambulance Chaser

Quote:
I don't think a cd would help me there, if there's a way they would; please tell me.
Ummm, walk away and turn on your portable cd player instead of be normal and chat. Click here to enlarge Seriously, you may not be able to sit and chat for awhile around smokers during their smoke breaks, but one day soon you will. For now, don't put yourself in situations that are going to make this doubly hard on you.

That is awesome that you have a couple close friends that will quit with you. Lean on each other for support. And, post here when you feel like you are going out of your mind for a ciggie. I'd be happy to remind you what a lame-ass you would be for lighting up. Click here to enlarge

YOU WILL DO THIS!!!!!!!!!
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally posted by Yowza!
I'd be happy to remind you what a lame-ass you would be for lighting up. Click here to enlarge
I think this is exactly what I need... Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in