Tips? Advice? Helpful hints? Encouragement? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Kickin Butts A forum for those who are trying to quit smoking and those who already have to provide support and encouragement.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to gracie
Tips? Advice? Helpful hints? Encouragement?

Well, I've started back smoking, and am off the wellbutin due to the overwhelming anxiety it gave me.

I need encouragement, advice, anything to help me. My new target quit date is Jan.1, 06 and I need anything you can give me to help through the cravings and withdrawal.

Thanks Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to TripleA
You will not quit until you are truly ready to be done with it. When you are ready you will know it becuase your desire to quit will outweigh your desire to smoke. I quit 11 years ago for the last time. I quit cold turkey and never looked back. Yes I cried, yes I dreamed of smoking, yes I screamed at everyone around me. But it got better, every day that passed. I do not want to be negative, I am just giving it to you as straight as I can. I hope that you can do it this time, but if you don't, then just start over again. Always here for anyone who needs support. pm me if it helps you.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via MSN to Callah Send a message via Yahoo to Callah
Wish there was something I can say to help you.

When I quit smoking, I was in a place where nothing was normal for me. I was living in a hotel, in a city that I didn't know and away from my "smoking" life. It was also the most stressful time in my entire life.

By time I got home, I had gotten used to not smoking and haven't craved it a day in my life since.

April 2, 2006 will be 6 years, smoke free.

Good luck and never quit, quitting. Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Thanks TripleA Click here to enlarge I am so ready for this. I only get tired of smoking every couple of years...I mean REALLY tired of it...and I am at that point.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge Callah Congrats to you both!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Strong, minty gum or breath mints. That actually did help me quite a bit when I quit.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

The pivotal thing for me was dealing with the whiny infant addict in me. Prior to this time around I quit several times, but it was a terrible chore because I was so resentful, even though I was sick and tired of smoking and wanted the monkey off my fucking back.

I would just feel so angry about the deprivation, however irrational that sounds.

Somehow (and with the help of Stinky's wisdom Click here to enlarge) I managed to reframe the act of quitting into a positive gift to myself and it canceled out that burning knot of anger.

I am an addict to the bone, in every way. Click here to enlarge Every time I started to experience that petulant pissy baby anger and resentment I made a conscious effort to stop and remind myself what an amazing thing I was doing for me. It probably sounds stupid in the telling but for some reason it was really powerful for me.

Good luck - you can do it!! I am 14 + months without a coffin nail and not even one little tiny puff on the down low. yay me!

Like Annie it's a hard nock life...

"Let it be far from my feeble mental capacities to extrapolate on my myriad examples that in my field of business led me to my conclusion that it would be better safe than sorry."
Soapy - because she is smert.

Fuck you, Narnia!

http://www.sybermoms.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252503
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 02:00 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I have a friend who used the twelve steps to do it.

I didn't use Wellbutrin to quit, it was just a side effect.

I quit many times, once for two months while in Coast Guard boot camp. I quit both times I was pregnant, once after my Gastric Bypass (I started after I had it) and I smoked my final one about a year ago.

It takes many times to get quitting right. I have found that I can't exersise and be a smoker. It just doesn't go together. I have a heck of a time breathing when I get my heart rate up enough to make it beneficial.

You have to find something you want more.

When you remove a behavior you have to replace it with something else. That is why a lot of people gain weight when they quit. You are going to have to find a new behavior. I'd let you come use my elliptical machine..but I don't think you want to come up here every morning.

My dh is such a cheap bastard...he was so tierd of spending money on smokes (isn't it up to 6.00/pk) that he finally quit.

PM me when you feel like lighting up (at least between the hours of 0600-2330 AST) [email protected].
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 08:15 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

You have company, grace. I'm quitting too. My quit date is going to be on 12/23.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oh goody! I think it will make it a little easier to have someone go through it with, kwim?

Good luck! Click here to enlarge
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Ambulance Chaser

Cold water worked wonders for me, that and wanting to quit. Like Dubby every other time I felt deprived, not just withdrawl but I felt like it wasn't my choice. Make sense?

Anyway, making it my choice and knowing the reasons and a huge glass of cold cold water everytime I wanted a cigarette. Then I started working out every morning once I was through the initial bitchfest, it helped me stay motivated. If I was starting my day doing something so good for my body I was less inclined to want to inhale a bunch of cack.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in