Trying to quit! - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Kickin Butts A forum for those who are trying to quit smoking and those who already have to provide support and encouragement.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Trying to quit!

I am trying to quit smoking and it is hard, how did any of you quit? I am not sure a patch/pill would help me because the oral fixation is part of it for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 07:51 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I quit on 8/23 using Chantix. I really think it's making a big difference. Good luck to you.

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase- Martin Luther King Jr.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I quit smoking Mothers Day with the help of Chantix. good luck!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I've heard a few a few raves about this chantix stuff, i think i may have to check it out. Thanks ladies. Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I went to see the doctor in July about something else and she mentioned the Chantix. She has had great success with her patients that have tried taking the med. I got a prescription that day but kept putting it off. My health insurance doesn't cover it and one month cost me $116.00.

I went in to buy my weekly carton of cigarettes and the guy told me they went up from $27 to $39. I said no thanks and walked out. The next day I filled the prescription. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks and I'm really doing great.

Good luck with the quit and let me know if you need any support. Click here to enlarge

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase- Martin Luther King Jr.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I used the patch- i still have one every now and then but i'm MUCH better than I used to be...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I couldn't do just one every now and then. I know if I have one I will be back to a pack a day immediately.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 06:37 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Twinsanity Twatwaffles
Phreak, how's it going?

My doc offered me Chantix when I went in for my med refills. I hadn't really heard or read anything about it and wasn't even thinking about trying to quit...again. :sigh She said, don't even plan to quit...just take it and see how things go. Sounded like a waste of money but I took and filled it.

Started taking it 9 days ago and just (as in a few minutes ago when I lit a cigarette and put it out 1/2 smoked) realized I am smoking less...seriously enjoying it less (I've always hated the smell and the respiratory effects but I've always LIKED smoking Click here to enlarge). Looking back over the last week, I realized I've let a lot of cigarettes burn out in the ashtray, instead of never even setting them down.

This is something entirely new to me. About the only time I can remember setting cigs aside without a fight with myself has been when I've been really sick (pneumonia). Coolness.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

It's going great. Today is something like 56 days. Click here to enlarge

I did do something stupid last Monday. I stopped to get stamps and I'm not even sure why, but I bought a pack of cigarettes. I wasn't craving one so I really don't know why I did that. I got out to the car and lit one up. It was absolulety disgusting. I couldn't take the smell or the taste. I got out of the car, crushed the cigarette out, walked over to the garbage can in front of Kroger and threw the pack away.

I am almost done with the Chantix. I'm a little worried how I'm going to feel without taking the med. I'm not sure if that is just in my head or not. I honestly think about having one very very rarely and it goes away pretty quickly. I'm happy with the progress and I can see this being the last time I have to quit.

The only downside is that I've gained at least 10lbs, probably more. I'm pretty disgusted would that part but I figured one thing at a time.

I think you should pick out a quit date and just do it. You will feel so much better. Good Luck!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm so lame it hurts

2 months later

Hey Uncreative, it's been 2 months. How is it going? Are you still smoke free?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Just stopping in...I'm a new quitter...Click here to enlarge

I smoked my last cigarette 2 weeks ago and bought the Nicorette gum because I was worried about the oral fixation too.

So for the first couple of days, I chewed the gum like they instructed. Then I realized, I was chewing the gum just to chew gum, not to abate the cigarette crave. I really just stopped wanting the flavor of that gum. It's weird, because I feel like as long as I acknowledge the craving it will go away(it usually goes away in less than a minute).

blog...But it worked for me. And I've saved over $100 so far which is totally worth it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in