Opinions on induction? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Gestation Station Got placenta? All knocked up and no place to post? Then join the fertile myrtles in Whormone Alley for your 40 week wait! You’ll fit right in with these whoremoanal hussies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Opinions on induction?

Anyone had one? Have an opinion?

I was due 11/10 - really 11/9 but "the wheel" doesn't account for leap year. I am overdue and apparently not much is going on. My ds was 10 days early and I had all kinds of contractions and bloody show for a week before with him. I have my doc's appt. tomorrow and he may strip my membranes if things are favorable and I am fine with that. But if that doesn't jumpstart labor, I am worried about induction. My next doc's appt would be on Friday and I would be 41.5 weeks.

So give me your stories good and bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Dawn Keebals
Bad induction story- I had pre eclampsia with #1, was not effaced or dialated at ALL and was induced at 37.5 weeks. I had Cervadil for 12 hours and then Pitocin. It sucked all kinds of ass. I ended up with way too many (looking back) interventions and it was just a really shitty labor and delivery.

Good induction story- With #2, I had my membranes stripped and delivered him with zero interventions within 12 hours. Also, with #3 my water broke on it's own, but no contractions started so they gave me enough Pitocin to push my body along, but not too much that I thought I was going to die.

I've been thinking about you, wondering if you've had that baby yet. I forced my husband to have sex with me the other night in hopes of getting the ball rolling. It didn't, but we both enjoyed ourselves for a few minutes! Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 04:29 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

As long as your stress tests come back fine, I'd let it be. After my contrax stopped, but my water had Click here to enlarge, I was induced and it was much more painful than a normal birth would have been.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 04:50 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticFrig Send a message via Skype™ to CelticFrig
I had an induction. DS was born 12 days overdue. I have no "normal" birth to compare it to. After 8 hrs. of pitocin-induced labor, I had an epidural at 3.5 cm and got to 10 cms about 6 hours later. He was born vaginally and was perfect. It was a long labor and I started out about 1 cm and 50% effaced.

Good luck however things go. Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I had a foley catheter (balloon thingy inserted and filled with water) at 41 weeks. Unlike pitocin which one you start, its relatively non-invasive and if it doesn't work, you can decide to wait or go to pitocin. The worry with induction by pitocin is that if you don't progress fast enough you may need a c-section.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 06:41 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Juniper
I was induced at 38 weeks with #2 because US showed he was going to be really big (LIARS!).

I showed up to the hospital, around 80% effaced and dilated to a 2. They hooked me up to the Pit and broke my water. I got an epidural about 2.5 hours later. DS was born 4.5 hours after they hooked me up to the pit. It was a super easy birth, no tearing, and I felt really good afterwards.

I felt really guilty though for inducing early because he was 7 lbs 5 oz, so size was not the issue we thought it would be. DS was perfectly healthy though.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 08:31 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I was induced with DS due to out of control PIH. I was exactly 38 weeks when they induced. They started Pitocin at 9 a.m. and it didn't do anything until until my water broke on it's own around noon. If I'd been less shy and stupid, I would have just had them break my water first, and skip the pitocin. When my water broke all hell broke loose and it hurt like nothing I've ever felt before. No epi (that's a whole other story) but C was born by 4 that afternoon.

I guess my induction would be one of those "good" inductions. I really hope not to go that way again if I can avoid it.

Good luck in your decision! Hope the little one comes out soon one way or the other!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Hard-Core Sybermom

I was induced with both kids. With Liam, my membranes were stripped two days before my due date and my water broke that night. Ctx didn't start though so they started pit (after much begging and pleading from me not to). I had done the Bradley thing and really wanted a "natural" birth. My birth plan was literally laughed at by the doctor on call.Click here to enlarge Anyway, that was a horrible experience. Ds also had shoulder dystocia and I had two nurses literally on top of me, pushing on my stomach and a whole room full of people SCREAMING at me to push. The brand new doctor delivering ds was just stopping short of screaming, "OMG, the baby is going to DIE!".Click here to enlarge And I was aparently the first episiotomy he'd ever done because he had two nurses standing behind him telling him what to do.Click here to enlarge

I got induced with Cal because he was ten days late. Everything went great because I had given up on the whole "birth your way" thing and just went with it. Got the epidural, etc. Everything was so quiet and calm. Nobody yelling at me, not a ton of poeple in the room, etc.

Anyway, I woudln't worry about if I were you. My second experience was great, fun even!Click here to enlarge Besides, you're not giving birth at Crippler/Tripler.Click here to enlarge
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 04:33 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I was in very early labor with DD at 37.5 weeks, and they "sped it up" with Cervadil because I was so swollen. No pit, though... I'd be really sure on that point for a while.

I had no ankles or even knees by that point. It was grotesque. The blood pressure was fine, but I was SO uncomfortable. She was 8.5 pounds.

This one, they're planning on inducing at 39 weeks (if I make it that long) due to the swelling again, and the fact that I seem to make big early babies.

I'd rather be induced than have a c-section.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Thanks for the opinions. Hopefully, stripping the membranes will do it and I will have my dd in the next day or two. If not, I am going to ask doc to tentatively schedule an induction for somewhere around 42 weeks because as MotherCat said better an induction than c/s.

With ds my water leaked, then they had to break the rest. They wanted to give me pitocin but I refused. After my water was really Click here to enlarge my contractions came regularly and hard.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 06:17 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Krissa
Quote:
Originally posted by Boobarama
I was induced with both kids.

Ds also had shoulder dystocia and I had two nurses literally on top of me, pushing on my stomach and a whole room full of people SCREAMING at me to push. The brand new doctor delivering ds was just stopping short of screaming, "OMG, the baby is going to DIE!".

I got induced with Cal because he was ten days late. Everything went great because I had given up on the whole "birth your way" thing and just went with it. Got the epidural, etc. Everything was so quiet and calm. Nobody yelling at me, not a ton of poeple in the room, etc.

Anyway, I woudln't worry about if I were you. My second experience was great, fun even!Click here to enlarge
I could have said all of this. The shoulder dystocia thing was terrifying. Click here to enlarge

I was also induced with both kids. I am convinced that my body just does not know how to go into labor on it's own. Click here to enlarge It's just never happened to me. I was late both times and had to be induced with both girls. I don't have a "normal" birth to compare it to, though, so I guess I couldn't be much help to you. It's not awful, though. I had the balloon cathether and pit with DD2, pit only with DD1. Click here to enlarge
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 06:36 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

With Meg, my water broke and I had no contractions and there was meconioum, so I got pitocin. 6 hours of labor, no pain meds, 10 minutes of pushing - easy.

I was also induced with DS, but was early, cervix was not really favorable. Day 1 - Cervadil. Day 2 - Pitocin for 8 hours and then repeat Cervadil. Day 3 - Pitocin, broke water at 1:00 pm, baby born 9:22pm. Not a labor I'd want to do again.

I hope the membrane stripping gets things moving for you.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 06:53 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I did not have a good induction experience--back labor, shaking, nausea, FOURTH DEGREE TEAR (that's all the way to the rectal muscle, folks. Click here to enlarge). Now, all of this could have very well happened without induction, but I'll never know.

I won't do it again this time unless I or the baby are in danger. Well, if I get to be like a week overdue, no one hold me to this, k? Click here to enlarge

Seriously, I haven't been as overdue as you, so I can't imagine the discomfort, anxiety to see him/her, etc., so Click here to enlarge.

But, if you can hold out (baring no danger to either of you), I think you will have a better experience.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 07:12 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to MSRX Send a message via Yahoo to MSRX
Quote:
The worry with induction by pitocin is that if you don't progress fast enough you may need a c-section
Actually if pitocin isn't doing anything, they can turn it off and send you home. (horror story: I had a friend who did cervidil, pitocin--early induction because she has big babies--nothing started the labor, so they sent her home to wait it out, she had terrible cramping for an entire week before she finally went into labor.)

It's when they break your water that there is no going back, and if the labor doesn't start or progress, they would have to do a c-section.

But I've had 2 good inductions. First one at 39weeks (although afterwards the midwife said the placenta/baby looked overdue and I was probably 41 weeks)--no problems from the induction (when I went in for it, I was showing painless contractions on the monitor and the nurse said I was probably starting to go into labor anyway.)

2nd one--done at 38 weeks (no question of dating this time). Pitocin wasn't doing anything, had my water Click here to enlarge and delivered 2.5hrs later.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 08:07 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to scout
I had my membranes stripped on a Friday. Water broke Monday around noon, but I wasn't progressing and I have GBS+ so I got pitocin. Delivered Tuesday at 1:43 am. It was totally easy l and d, but I also had an epidural.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 08:41 AM
Hard-Core Sybermom

I will not go into gory details about my induction. Let it be, if you and the baby are alright. Seriously. Induction is not a fun thing. I have three kids, the first two went on their own, easy peasy. The last one, not easy. I was induced. It was not fun, we almost lost both of us. I know this isn't a normal occurance, but please, let nature take it's course.

Danskos and Sorel boots for sale:
http://www.sybermoms.com/forums/show...17#post9865717
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 09:39 AM
Deb
Unsupportive Freeloader

I was induced with all 5. One with just pitocin, three with jelly, one with the pill.

Seeing as everyone's body is different, I'm sure being induced will be different for everyone too. I never had any complications except the oldest who was late, in distress and had meconium. Hopefully the stripping will help today and you wont have to be induced.

Strip membranes, walk, sex, raspberry tea. Repeat. Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in