Sybermoms Parenting Forum

Sybermoms Parenting Forum (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/)
-   Gestation Station (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/30-gestation-station/)
-   -   38 week appt. (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/30-gestation-station/460543-38-week-appt.html)

Juniper 03-30-2007 09:18 AM

38 week appt.

We had to wait a long time today because my doctor was in Mexico on vacation last week, so she's a bit behind this week. We ended up having the whole family come because the appt. was so late in the day.

The automatic blood pressure cuff found my bp to be really high. Again. But when taken manually, it's fine. And I'm not spilling any protein, so I figure that particular machine is just out to get me.

Baby weighs apprx. 7.6 lbs right now. Head is a week ahead, body is 2 weeks ahead, so it looks like i'll be having a chubby baby.

I'm dilated to almost a 3, and 70% effaced. DH begged the doctor to induce me right then and there, but I refuse because I have got such a rotten cold. I've gone through labor with a cold, and it was awful. OB was willing to induce me next week. After he and the kids stepped out of the room for the vaginal exam, she asked me why he was so anxious for me to get the baby out. I told her that he loves babies, but finds pregnancy boring, so he's dying to get the baby out and play with him. She kind of giggled at that.

Honestly though, I'd rather go into labor on my own. Besides, I'm guessing I'll have my baby Sunday or Monday, so hopefully, I won't need to be induced.

Outnumbered 03-30-2007 09:32 AM

Eek, have you been induced? Not. Fun.

Always trust a manual over a machine for BP. Always. I mean, presuming your care provider knows what she's doing. :lol

At 3 and 70, I'm betting you're going to go QUICK once you go :D

Juniper 03-30-2007 10:01 AM

I was induced with my second baby. I thought it was the easiest birth ever, until I had my third birth. 4 hours from the time i walked in the hospital to when he popped out. It was seriously really nice, really convenient. I have no horror filled induced birth stories.

But, call me sentimental, I like the idea of the baby coming on his own. I will disregard this sentiment the minute I'm overdue though. :lol

I think the only reason the doctor offered to induce is because my dh is DYING for me to have the baby.

Here are my two concerns: I have never been this far dilated without being in active labor. With two of my kids, I dilated from a 5-10 in 10 minutes. The combination of those two makes me worry that I'll give birth in the car. I like my car. I don't want to mess it up. :lol

Outnumbered 03-30-2007 10:25 AM

I would put some chuks in the car, just in case ;)

Do you live reasonably close to the hospital? :paranoia

My husband recently nearly delivered number 3 for a p2 g3 lady, in a hallway. An hour earlier she had been going about her business. 60 minutes later she's crowning :lol

Dogzilla 04-01-2007 04:11 AM

I was induced for both of my pregnancies and it was fine both times. I think it all depends on how your induction is handled. If you have a doc who hooks you up to pit and cranks it to 10, yeah, it's probably going to suck:lol

Noodle 04-01-2007 05:32 AM

I am silly and sentimenal about it too... I want to be suprised, and be able to tell DH that it is time to go to the hospital, and to labor some at home, etc.

With dd I went to the hospital way too soon, and with the boys I was induced, strapped to the pit, blah.

I'd love to go on my own this time, but not past 41 weeks :lol