Weight gain - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Gestation Station Got placenta? All knocked up and no place to post? Then join the fertile myrtles in Whormone Alley for your 40 week wait! You’ll fit right in with these whoremoanal hussies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Weight gain

So my weight gain has come to a plateau over the past few weeks. I've fluctuated about a pound or so but I've only gained about 1/2 lb. over the last 2-3 weeks. Is this bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Noodle
totally normal. They put far too much emphasis on weight gain during a pregnancy IMO. As long as you are eating well and getting enough fluid, don't stress.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 10:37 AM
First day of school
Hard-Core Sybermom

Click here to enlarge with Noodle. Focus on getting enough good food and liquids and the weight gain will sort itself out. I know in previous pregnancies I've had plateaus followed by big jumps.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I definitely am eating Click here to enlarge and getting plenty of fluids. I've been walking at least 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week as well. I figured it was fine, just needed some reassurance.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Noodle
It isn't healthy to gain too much weight in pregnancy. Of course you don't want to go the other way either, but the baby/placenta/fluid/etc is only really 15-20 pounds at term. They consider an extra 5 - 10 pounds of fat gain normal in someone of average weight before getting pregnant.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via AIM to bleedsink
Don't worry some time in the next month or two you'll gain 10 pounds in one month Click here to enlarge It really does all even out in the end.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedsink
Don't worry some time in the next month or two you'll gain 10 pounds in one month Click here to enlarge It really does all even out in the end.
SHUT UP! Click here to enlarge
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via AIM to bleedsink
Both pregnancies for me followed the same pattern -- I'd gain one or two pounds for like the first 5 or 6 months, and then I'd gain 10 in one month. No junk food binges, nothing. Then I go back to gaining 1 or 2 pounds a month.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'm doing much better, this pregnancy, with dealing with the weight gain.

With Thing One, I waited tables until not even 2 weeks before he was born, and I walked a mile to and from work, as well as a mile or two on my days off. It really wouldn't have been possible for me to get more exercise. And my midwife at the time gave me a chart of foods to eat every day--so many servings from one category, so many from another, etc. I distinctly remember crying at the table, trying to make sure I ate all the food I was supposed to, and being so stuffed I couldn't take another bite.

At 30 weeks, I had gained 30 pounds and the midwives were like, "Hm, you might want to slow down there, chow hound." In the end, I gained 40 pounds. By the time the baby was 4 or 5 months old, without dieting or anything, I had lost fifty pounds, and looked like I was going to just fall over. Click here to enlarge I had to go back to trying to stuff myself, in order to not starve.

With Thing Two, I spent the first trimester laid up on the couch, trading a bunch of nasty colds & flus back and forth with Thing One (who was 2 y.o. at the time), I waited out the second trimester for record low temperatures to go away so I could take my toddler out, and I spent the third trimester miserable and wanting a divorce and crying all the time.

I gained 40 pounds again. And it took a little longer that time to lose it all--maybe 2 months. But at least I didn't go over the edge into emaciated, either.

This time, I'm eating good foods in amounts that make me stop feeling hungry, but not so much that I feel stuffed. I'm exercising some, but I stop when I get tired.

At 28 weeks, I've gained 25 pounds. I think it's just the way my body makes babies: I gain what turns out to be around a pound a week. Doesn't matter what I eat or how much exercise I get, I guess.

Mickey Mackey Boo Ba Boo
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I agree - it all comes out even in the end. Up until my 26 week appointment I've gained a whopping 5 pounds. At my last appointment I found out I gained 7 pounds in the last 4 weeks. Click here to enlarge I haven't changed anything either in diet or routine. Still, I'm happy about 12 pounds of weight gain at 26 weeks.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 07:19 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

My body gains whatever weight it wants to and nothing I do affects it. I have to make my brain remember that.

With Bean I gained 60.4 lbs. I exercised at the gym for 1 & 1/2 hours every single day.

With Gums I gained 54 lbs and I didn't go to the gym once. Click here to enlarge

So far, I'm almost 10 weeks and I've gained 7 lbs so far. I'm going to whip out my treadmill, I suppose.

I wish I was one of those people who only gained 25 lbs but alas, I will never be. Click here to enlarge
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Nurse Send a message via Yahoo to Dr. Nurse
Don't feel bad Beaner I've gained about 7 too so far.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I gain a set amount of weight too. No matter what I do. I tend to gain quite a bit in the beginning but I justify it because I start out slightly underweight so I keep telling myself that the baby needs the extra padding to sustain a pregnancy Click here to enlarge I am up a little over 40 pounds right now and while I am not thrilled about it, I am certain that I can lose it and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I am walking to find a cure for Juvenile Diabetes
To Support me Click Here!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

That's the thing. What do they consider 'under weight'?

I'm 5'7 and started out at 108 lbs. I would consider that underweight, but I seem to still get "and how much did we gain *this* week" comments from the OB office. Click here to enlarge
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanerBoobies
That's the thing. What do they consider 'under weight'?

I'm 5'7 and started out at 108 lbs. I would consider that underweight, but I seem to still get "and how much did we gain *this* week" comments from the OB office. Click here to enlarge
Click here to enlarge That's crazy!!

Mickey Mackey Boo Ba Boo
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

That is insanely thin. Click here to enlarge No worries...up another lb. Click here to enlarge

I can't believe I'm 30 weeks already! Click here to enlarge
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

You ladies are all doing so well...

I gained well over 100lbs. I'm not sure the final total because the doctors weren't worried. I know it sounds bizarre, but my kidney stopped working and I had pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes. They would weigh me and just write it down. They never mentioned it once aside from when I started to gain like 5-8lbs a week. Then they were like, uh, we gotta watch your pressures closely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in