"Big baby" "Huge head" - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Gestation Station Got placenta? All knocked up and no place to post? Then join the fertile myrtles in Whormone Alley for your 40 week wait! You’ll fit right in with these whoremoanal hussies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

"Big baby" "Huge head"

Not exactly in the Top Ten List of Things I Want to Hear My OB Say.

Somehow this baby's head has gone from measuring 2 weeks ahead to suddenly measuring 5 weeks ahead Click here to enlarge He supposedly has the head of a 39 weeker, and his other measurements have all gone up as well. I'm really praying for that margin of error to be at play here, b/c WTF is up with such a huge head?

I left the peri's office w/the u/s report to give to my OB, so I got to see all the numbers. He didn't mention it or note it on his report, but my OB did seem a little curious/concerned and is going to call the peri about it. So now I'm a little freaked about it. He'd been consistently measuring 2 weeks ahead, at least on my 25 and 31 week ultrasounds.

Here are today's numbers, they don't really mean much to me other than the average GA for those sizes Click here to enlarge

Biparietal Diameter - 88.7mm - 35w6d
Head Circumference - 339.9mm - 39w1d
Abdominal Circumference - 313.8mm - 35w2d
Femur - 67.0mm - 34w3d
Post. Lat. Ventricle - 4.0mm

According to the OB, with the BPD being smaller than the head circumference, it indicates an oblong shaped head, usually seen w/breech babies. But he's been head down for quite a while. So I have no clue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

That's what they were telling me up until a couple of weeks ago...and now they're saying, "average." I've chosen to ignore them. Won't you join me?

Mickey Mackey Boo Ba Boo
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Yeah, ignoring sounds like a good option Click here to enlarge I do start my biweekly NST's next week with weekly BPP, so I'll ask them to check out his noggin during the u/s then. But I swear, today it feels like he gained those extra weeks all at once, and he's grinding his huge head against my pelvis.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'm on week 3 of the bi-weekly NSTs, and you should prepare yourself now to take the "Ignore them" attitude with you. Because they'll strap you in, hook you up, walk away for 20 minutes, and come in and look at the tapes coming outta the monitor and say, "Well. That's not good," and LEAVE without an explanation. Click here to enlarge Then someone else will come back, look at the same tapes and go, "Huh," to herself and LEAVE with an unconcerned shrug. Click here to enlarge If you're lucky someone will take pity on your look of horror and fear, and they'll poke the baby with a vibrator. Click here to enlarge The whole thing is so weird.

Mickey Mackey Boo Ba Boo
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge I mean...DAMN Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Too true.

I should buy a good paperback or two, shouldn't I?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

You might want to start this now.
http://www.childbirth.org/articles/massage.html
Just in case.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:36 PM
First day of school
Hard-Core Sybermom

I got the "big baby" comment today too as my midwife was feeling the baby's position. I have to agree that it is not a great feeling even if my last baby was 9lbs4oz and came out without any difficulty.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 05:56 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I keep getting "Huh- what a huge head...." And "Wow, he sure moves around more than average."

Great. Hyperactive baby with a huge head. And have I mentioned that my SO has a phobia of people with big heads? Click here to enlarge
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

LMAO Callie.

I heard that before too, MM. I cried. And I ended up with a c-section. However, I also believe that I had true cephalopelvic disproportion. You have a proven pelvis so I wouldn't worry too much. Also, I don't know if you're worried about anything else, but don't. My poor kid never had a chance of having anything BUT a giant head, given both my dad and my dh. Sometimes it just in the genes. Click here to enlarge

"It's like an orange on a toothpick!"
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

My three all had giant heads Click here to enlarge

I am walking to find a cure for Juvenile Diabetes
To Support me Click Here!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

We aren't big headed people Click here to enlarge Zach had a small head, and he was 2 1/2 hrs pushing with quite the cone shape when he came out, so I was shocked to see the report. And it's really the discrepancy with the dating and the BPD vs. HC that has me a bit Click here to enlarge
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

We aren't big headed people either. MM don't freak out. My first was a conehead and I pushed for several hours. My second two just flew out Click here to enlarge Don't let them freak you out.

I am walking to find a cure for Juvenile Diabetes
To Support me Click Here!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Just keep repeating to yourself that u/s gets more and more inaccurate as the days go by. Click here to enlarge
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I wasn't freaking out about something Click here to enlarge

I guess it bugs me b/c at my last u/s, I looked at the print they gave me and said "Wow, his head looks pointed" at the profile shot. The one I got from yesterday looks pretty bad also Click here to enlarge But when I saw it on the screen (circumference shot), it wasn't a severe oval, it looked like a normal oval. So I suppose we'll just see how he looks when he gets here.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Merlot
I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I wasn't freaking out about something Click here to enlarge
Click here to enlarge Dh showed me a Bizarro cartoon a few months ago. It was a couple leaving their house, and the woman had her hand on the almost-closed front door, saying 'What if there's something I forgot to worry about?" Click here to enlarge That's totally me. I wish I could find it online and make it my av.

Mickey Mackey Boo Ba Boo
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

My dh has a big head and from pictures he looked like a big headed baby. I was freaked out both times I was pregnant.

The doctors always said my babies were big in utero and mentioned their heads. Neither of them were that big when they were born and they didn't have big heads at all. They were 8 lbs 13 oz and 8 even. I know their heads were just average size.

So don't worry too much.

Comparison is the thief of joy-Theodore Roosevelt
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

They freaked me out everytime I went in for an u/s with my twins. Each time we went in they said my son's head was measuring ahead of his actual age. He was breech but his dad also has a big head. Turns out I worried for nothing, he just has a big head like his father. Try not to stress too much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in