Here it goes...
I had my 37 week appointment on July 19th. I was still pretty swollen and my blood pressure was on the fence. The OB wanted to do an amnio to test lung maturity and hopefully induce to prevent the PIH from getting worse. I had a really hard time making that decision. We decided to go ahead with the amnio and had it done Friday morning at the birth center. Initial tests came back that her lungs were not mature and they were being sent on for further evasive testing.
I was feeling pretty crappy on Saturday and we were supposed to go to a wedding reception 45 min out of town. I decided at the last minute to go. Just as we got in the car to head up there I noticed that I was having some cramping. By the time we got up there the cramping had spread in to my lower back. I drank 30 oz of water to see if the cramping would subside but it just got worse. I started noticing a little bloody show and suggested to SO that we should head home. It didn't occur to me until that moment that I could be in labor.
On the ride back home we started timing the cramping and back pain. 5-6 minutes apart. I called my Dr. who was on call at the hospital and he suggested we swing in on our way in to town. About 8:30 p.m. I got all settled in and hooked up to the fetal monitors. BP was 140/80
and my contractions had slowed to 8 minutes apart. I was 3 cm dilated and 90% effaced. My OB had checked on the amnio results and baby's lungs were good. He had planned on starting pitocin and admitting me. This is where it just takes off.
The nurse came in to put in my IV and started me on IV fluids. About 10:00 p.m. I was taken to the labor and delivery room and started on pitocin. At this point my contractions were getting more uncomfortable but bearable. Not long after they broke my bag of water and turned up the pitocin a notch. At 4 cm I was in a lot of pain and having to breathe through the contractions. The nurse suggested an epidural but I thought it was too early. Shortly after I asked for one.
It took forever for the anesthesiologist to get in there. My contractions at this point were right on top of each other and very painful. She turned the pit down to the first level. I was checked again just before the epidural was given and she couldn't find my cervix. Then she got quiet and walked away. As I'm getting my epi I ask her what I was dilated to...8 cm. I had gone from 4-8 in 2 hours. I had several painful contractions while getting my epi and the strong urge to push. I was so afraid he wouldn't get it in time. By the time he was done I was 9.5 cm and not long after that at 10. I pushed for an hour total (on and off over a 2-3 hour period) and delivered her at 5:09 a.m. with the help of the vacuum. I have a 2nd degree episiotomy, no muscle damage. I'm actually surprised at how little that hurts. So from start to finish it took a total of 9 hours. I still can't believe how fast it all went.
We stayed 2 nights in the hospital, mostly to work through breastfeeding issues. Right now we're tube feeding at the breast until my milk comes in and things are getting better. Last night was our first night at home and overall it went pretty well. We have to take her in today for a bili check and we're also meeting with the lactation consultant. Itís still sinking in that she is mine.
Here are a few more pictures of her. I canít believe how much sheís changed already.