Birth story - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Gestation Station Got placenta? All knocked up and no place to post? Then join the fertile myrtles in Whormone Alley for your 40 week wait! You’ll fit right in with these whoremoanal hussies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Birth story

Hope you like them long Click here to enlarge

I went in on Weds for my NST/BPP. I figured nothing would come of it since we'd already checked on the polyhydramnios and hydrops issues, and knew those were non-existent. So I got hooked up and was on the monitor for a while. Good reactivity, although his baseline was a little high. Went down to the BPP, my AFI was fine, he was moving all around, no problems. Back up to the room and twiddled my thumbs waiting for the OK to go home. I was getting hungry, as I'd only had breakfast and I ate my snack on the way over. Baby's baseline was better after the u/s, but my bp was up a little (as expected, it had started a gradual climb).

Around noon my nurse came in and said "Surprise! We're moving you to another room!" I just looked at her with my mouth dropped open. I knew what that meant, and I was speechless. I was thoroughly unprepared, I had already convinced myself that we would NOT be inducing today. I just sort of stammered "Why? Can I go home first? I don't even have my bag packed!!" The nurse really felt I should just stay b/c they needed to draw blood to check on the bp issue, or something. I wasn't very clear on the 'why' but I also knew that going home for an hour wasn't really going to help me get things in order enough. It was just the feeling of shock that I couldn't get past, so I settled down and started making phone calls. Dh was at the gym with ds, I couldn't even get in touch with him for about half an hour Click here to enlarge

The doc came in to get things started just before 1pm. He checked me, I was 1-2cm and 75% effaced, and he stripped my membranes, rather vigourously I do believe Click here to enlarge Then he broke my water. OMG, I never had that sensation with Zach, he was engaged so low that nothing came out. I sat and gushed in the bed this time, and the contractions were starting up already, causing small gushes of fluid with each one. They also hung pitocin, started it low and continued to increase it for the next few hours.

Ctx started right away, and fairly strong and frequent, but not regular. About 2-4 min apart. As they increased the pit, they got a bit stronger and more frequent, but still not regular. They went up to a total of 60cc/hr (20 units?) trying to get them into a better pattern, but I kept having couplets/triplets, etc. Mostly groups of three and 4.

By 6pm I was hurting pretty badly with the ctx, but I was having dh rub my hands and feet, I was zoning out to some music and breathing, focusing, making myself not tense up during them. I was sure that after 5 hrs of ctx, I had progressed to 6cm at least. The doc came in and checked me, and announced I was "almost 4cm". I about died Click here to enlarge I couldn't believe so little had happened. At that point I agreed to have some stadol. I got 1/2 dose, and an hour later repeated it.

After the full 3 hrs went by, I was in misery. It's fuzzy at this point, I don't remember if I got checked again or what, but I said I wanted more stadol, and the full dose, and I had given up, I wanted an epidural. I felt like I was drowning in a well of pain, trying to claw my way up the sides to get out of it. The ctx were still tripling, with one coming before the other had even completed. Well, the anesthesiologist had just started a c-section, so I had to wait for the epidural. I got through it somehow until he got out, and as soon as I got the epi, I started getting relief. He as quick, bless that man. It was a MUCH better epidural than I had with Zach...my legs weren't totally dead, and I had a fair amt of sensation in the crotch region, I just didn't have the ctx pain. Prior, I'd had legs that were totally dead and useless, with stabbing pains in the uterus.

Unfortunately, once I got the epidural, I started having significant decels in the baby's heartbeat with each ctx. Apparently it was freaking the nurses out, but they kept that conversation outside. My aunt and MIL heard them going on about "cord around the neck!" and all kinds of carrying on, but thankfully they kept it away from me. I was on oxygen, and I kept an eye on the monitor, just praying for it to go back up after each ctx, and of course, it did. The doc came in and he is such a great doc, I love him. Very calm and reassuring, he reached up and scratched the baby's head, and massaged my belly to stimulate him a little. That helped the heart rate a lot. At the same time as the decels, I was having some very rapid beats that made me feel very breathless, which was freaking me out a bit.

I still had a lip of cervix, they had me try to push through it but it wasn't budging. Waited about another half hour and they told me to start pushing again. I could definitely feel the pressure and the pushing, so much different than my delivery with Zach. I expected to push for a long time (Zach took 2 1/2 hrs) so I was really surprised when the doc started gowning up. I don't know how long it took, maybe 30 min? It really was the easiset part of the whole ordeal. I felt a tiny bit of burning when he crowned, but other than that it was just pressure pain. He came out with a firm grip on his cord, the little fart...not wrapped around his neck, just being squeezed in his tight little fist.

Owen was born at 12:44am on Thursday, August 2, weighing 6lbs 8.5 oz and 19.5" long. He was pretty calm, crying but not screaming, and he quieted quickly. But apparently his Apgars were 9 and 10. I seriously thought he looked very weird and just couldn't place him as the baby I had been carrying inside me...his face was all swollen, one eye couldn't even open Click here to enlarge Poor little bugger. He looked scrawny and alen. And I still couldn't believe I'd even been induced, let alone given birth. I was in lala land mentally.

After he was passed around and loved on by everyone, then taken to the nursery for bathing and whatnot, everyone else left and we tried to get me out of bed. I sat on the edge of the bed and started feeling the world slip away...my ears were roaring, my body was going limp, etc. I knew I was about to pass out, but luckily the nurse had an ammonia capsule handy and that brought me back quickly. I laid down on the bed and we tried again later. This time I made it to the toilet before the black fuzz started taking over. Two nurses got me into a wheelchair and I sat there for a while, just wanting to die, nauseated and weak and feeling like shit. My heartrate was up, bp was down and my sugar was up (I finally got to eat at 2am, but only could find poptarts...hey, I was starving!).

They finally wheeled me to postpartum, my blood sugar by then was 212. Got some insulin and rechecked later, blood sugar was 278. My blood pressure was also still low, 90's/40's. But I was finally able to get up and walk myself to the bathroom without passing out. I finally went to sleep around 5am, and then up shortly after 6 when they brought the baby back to me Click here to enlarge

Things were much better the next day, and I felt amazingly good the day after that. He is sooooo incredibly perfect, I just look at him with awe and wonder how I got to be so blessed. We are all so thrilled to have him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	freshborn.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	11640  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hospital-pic.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	11641  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oh, I wuv him Click here to enlarge

I know what you mean about pit contractions. It's like drowning, isn't it? They come crashing down on you Click here to enlarge

But it sounds like you got a working epi, lucky Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

awwwwwwww I'm glad it all turned out great for you.

Enjoy! Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Congratulations! The picture with his mouth open (yawning?) is unbelievably cute.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

What a great story! Click here to enlarge I love his hospital picture--he looks like he's making a big entrance, saying "Ta-dahhh!" Click here to enlarge

Mickey Mackey Boo Ba Boo
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I love his hospital picture! I never like hospital pictures and refused this time because imo they always look like little aliens. I have changed my mind Click here to enlarge

Congratulations!

I am walking to find a cure for Juvenile Diabetes
To Support me Click Here!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Beerhore
Click here to enlarge Congrats Merlot!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 05:24 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Congrats! I'm sorry you've had such a hard time with everything...I'm sure having him here is so worth it though!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 05:55 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

MM, he's a cutie! Click here to enlarge I'm sorry about the circumstances and the pain- I know it's been really hard for you. But I hope you are feeling good and enjoying little Owen!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 06:59 AM
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Hard-Core Sybermom

Congratulatons!! I'm glad everything turned out well. He's very beautiful. Click here to enlarge
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to ScreaminBeagle Send a message via MSN to ScreaminBeagle Send a message via Yahoo to ScreaminBeagle
What a story! He's really beautiful, Merlot. Click here to enlarge I'm so happy for you!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to KathyB Send a message via Yahoo to KathyB
Well, I can't see him, but I know he has to be beautiful. Click here to enlarge You have a beautiful family.

I loved your birth story and I am so glad things went well for you. How is your sugar now? Were you just Gestational, or had you already been diabetic? I ask out of curiousity. I am diabetic, but after losing 100 lbs, I am not having sugar issues. I hope not to either, but only time will tell...
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Thanks everyone Click here to enlarge I think he's cute, but I'm biased. However, I did think Zach was rather awkward looking. Owen looks more delicate I guess. Something like that.

I only had Gestational Diabetes, never had problems before. It seems to be settling down now, though. I have to retake the GTT in 2 months.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

OMG! Welcome Owen! He's so tiny and he looks so much like Zach! Click here to enlarge
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Congratulations!!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Congratulations, he is adorable! Click here to enlarge

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Whore hamper
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Hootie McBoob
Congratulations!

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -George Orwell
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via AIM to Redheaded Momma Send a message via Yahoo to Redheaded Momma
Click here to enlarge Congrats! He is so adorable. His hospital pic is just priceless. Click here to enlarge
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Sorry I'm so late - Congratulations! I hope the repeat GTT shows everything is back to normal for you.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Congrats! Welcome to the world baby Owen!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in