Describe back labor to me - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Gestation Station Got placenta? All knocked up and no place to post? Then join the fertile myrtles in Whormone Alley for your 40 week wait! You’ll fit right in with these whoremoanal hussies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Describe back labor to me

For the past week I've had an aching back. It's not the result of overuse--it's an ache that spreads like a menstrual cramp through my hips and butt and around to the lower abdomen. The intense menstrual cramping inn the front comes and goes--no rhyme or reason.

The back pain is getting REALLY strong right now, and yesterday I noticed the baby shifted--more arm/knee/elbow movement directly in front whereas for the longest time I felt that to the left, and he was left-facing. So he's head-down, WAS left-facing, but I'm now thinking he's posterior Click here to enlarge

The back pain now radiates down from the small of my pain thorough my hips. It is constant but increases in intensity at irregular intervals.

I've never had back labor, so I don't know if this is it? Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

hmm.. my labor when he was sunny side up was a lot more painful than my first labor. But, it didn't really kick in until about 15 hours into steady labor and then it was like BAM this hurts like hell. The worst was lying down.

Hope he's not in a bad position for you! What is it that they say... stay on all fours for hours at a time every day and then he'll get in the right position? Or sit on a birth ball?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Doodlewig
Get on your hands and knees!! Do Cat/Cow pose from yoga.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Yes, get on your hands and knees. Lean forward if you have to sit, like over a pillow or something!

My back labor sounds like what you're describing, with the first 2. With this last baby, labor was all in the front and intense like bad menstrual cramps.

Do you have a doula?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

That sounds a lot like my back labor. I had very little pain in front, but mostly through the small of my back and down my hips. And my tailbone. What helped most was sitting in a tub, or even better sitting in a hot shower. And yes, hands/knees and a birthing ball both helped.

Click here to enlarge
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Yummy!
that sounds like my back labour as well. DD was posterior and while I had a very very long labour and of course it hurt, and I have no other birth to compare it to, I would not say it was an especially painful labour and birth compared to the screaming going on in other rooms. Click here to enlarge

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Hello Jello
i don't mean to buck the trend here, but that wasn't my experience with back labor. For me, back labor was like full on regular OhMyGodIAmGoingToKilllYouForDoingThisToMe labor pains, but they were in my lower back and spread through my hips. The birthing ball helped immensly. having had both "normal" labor and back labor due to a sunny side up kid, I definetly knew without a doubt, that it was back labor - it hurt WAY worse than regular labor.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I just took a bath and paid in various positions and the big giant bulge to the right reappeared Click here to enlarge I'm guessing he's deciding how to position himself and for a time was posterior or close to it.

This pain isn't horrible, but I'm not in full labor or anything. It IS painful and one of those "oh please don't let this go on throughout labor" kind of feelings. But I'm not peeling off the wallpaper or anything.

Thanks for the replies--this is really helpful for gauging what's going on.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

paid = laid

Click here to enlarge
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to scout
Click here to enlarge

I am betting this is early labour, so I am sending some ELV to you just in case.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I was pretty sure that, after having already had 2 children, that 47 was fully aware of the fact that it was going to eventually hurt like hell. I did not go from zero to OHMYWHATEVERALLYOUSAIDINALLCAPS with any of my 3 labor/deliveries. Labor started off just like she was describing and at some point hurt bad enough that I agreed to drugs Click here to enlarge

You knew it was going to hurt, right 47? Sorry for not warning you about that Click here to enlarge
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

All I really remember was that my back hurt like hell with each contraction, and being upright was so much better than being on my back or side.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oh, I know it's going to hurt Click here to enlarge I did one with an epidural, one with no drugs, and we'll see how this one goes.

My body is just really messing around this time--and I never had this kind of pain before. I woke up this morning and the back pain is still here, but the baby is tighter and seems to have slipped back into a more posterior position. Sigh.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasagna View Post
All I really remember was that my back hurt like hell with each contraction, and being upright was so much better than being on my back or side.
AHA! Good to know. Now laying down takes the pain away, so Click here to enlarge

I give up guessing Click here to enlarge. Off to drink my morning coffee...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 06:55 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

yeah, I couldn't lay down until I had the drugs Click here to enlarge

Today would be a great day to have a baby though Click here to enlarge At least it was for me 9 yr. ago.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 07:03 AM
WWF
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to WWF
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 is Pleonasm View Post
it's an ache that spreads like a menstrual cramp through my hips and butt and around to the lower abdomen.
My back labor had me dragging my right leg. It was painful to lift it. I couldn't get out of bed so I slept in the recliner which would lift me slower and more gently than dh could. That was on July 4. On July 9 I had her. Click here to enlarge

Your description of back labor sounds just like mine. I just wonder if mine was so intense because she was breech, never turned.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

47, I swear you are going to have that baby any minute. Like I wouldn't be surprised to hear that you sneezed hard and it was all said and done. Click here to enlarge

"Hands that help are far better than lips that pray."

--Robert G. Ingersoll (1833-1899)
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I had really bad back labor problems delivering DD1. She was born face up and compared to having DD2, the pain was ALL in my back. I felt at times like my back was breaking and that DD was trying to be born through my ass. Click here to enlarge It is funny now but at the time it was really awful. All the pressure was on my back and my butt and I was so confused because it was nothing like I had anticipated. Click here to enlarge With DD2 to compare it to, I know for sure that DD1 was definitely back labor and not at all like labor pains should be.

I dont have any suggestions on how to make it better, even with the epidural the pain was unreal at times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in