Sybermoms Parenting Forum

Sybermoms Parenting Forum (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/)
-   Gestation Station (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/30-gestation-station/)
-   -   Edge of Viability (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/30-gestation-station/622985-edge-viability.html)

Give Peas A Chance 11-02-2011 01:14 PM

Edge of Viability

Warning ... blahg ahead.

I am at 26 weeks now, which is the edge of viability. If something happened and they had to get him out now, he would have better than even odds of surviving. In some sense, it's comforting, but in another it's stressful.

I have no rational reason to think anything will go wrong, but I can't help worrying. Earlier, I tried to keep from calling the doctor in baseless panic by telling myself it didn't matter ... if something were happening, there was nothing to be done. My OB even told me as much. That doesn't work any more.

Right now he's roiling up my insides as if to reassure me that he's really fine in there. Stop fretting, mommy, you're waking me up!

Jen and her squirrels 11-02-2011 01:44 PM

Edge of Viability

I had no history of miscarriage, and I still always breathed a huge sigh of relief when I got to that point. :love

Give Peas A Chance 11-02-2011 02:03 PM

I had one loss at 37 weeks, so I think I don't get to exhale until he's safely out of me.

With DS, I didn't relax my guard until he was about 6 months old.

Jen and her squirrels 11-02-2011 02:15 PM

Edge of Viability

Understandable. You get to worry as long as you need to. :love

I spent my final pregnancy expecting a loss the entire time. I don't know why, maybe because it was so unexpected after years of infertility, but from the time I tested positive I never expected to deliver a full term baby. And now he's 4. :love

LetThereBeLips 11-02-2011 04:07 PM

:grope I never relaxed until they put the baby on my chest. :heart

Lyerin 11-03-2011 07:10 AM

:love :grope

Yummy! 11-03-2011 08:22 AM

the edge of viability was a twisted worrying comfort to me, too. so complex. :lol

wren 11-03-2011 11:43 AM

:ita. I would always obsess about what complications were possible should the baby be born at this week gestation vs. that week. Pregnant ladies are crazy under the best of circumstances but after suffering a loss like you had I'm sure it's 1000000x worse. :itsok

Tattoo 11-16-2011 10:54 AM

Oh yes, I obsess too... Every week that goes by I breathe a sigh of relief but I am all worked up again by the time the next week rolls around.

Give Peas A Chance 11-16-2011 01:22 PM

It's actually getting better for me now. I am at 27 1/2 weeks.

In my first pregnancy. the one that ended in stillbirth, I barely ever felt movement, I swelled up like a blimp, and I felt horrible through most of it. I remember wondering around 5-6 months why anyone would ever go through that twice.

This boy moves constantly. I have a nice pregnancy basketball hanging off the front of my chunky frame and no swelling. Physically I am feeling great. My BP is even back down to normal (110/68 as of Friday).

I'll be starting non-stress testing and amniotic fluid testing in a week or two, which should help with the remaining crazy because there will be actual medical professionals checking out the fetus twice a week.

The increase in movement is very comforting. I hope you will find it so as well, Tattoo,

LetThereBeLips 11-17-2011 09:05 AM

:clap I loved movement. It is so reassuring.