Sneaky little cyst - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Gestation Station Got placenta? All knocked up and no place to post? Then join the fertile myrtles in Whormone Alley for your 40 week wait! Youíll fit right in with these whoremoanal hussies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Sneaky little cyst

So Iím all knocked up with my first kid, and it turns out that Iíve also got this bitch of a cyst; I was wondering if anyone here has ever had an OMGHUGE cyst during their pregnancies?

Here is my ridiculously long backstory; skip to the end if you donít want to read it, I wonít blame you:
Iíve been married for two years. We actually started trying to get pregnant about four months before the wedding because I was expecting to have problems Ė I have PCOS, and I have an aunt who has PCOS and had issues getting pregnant for 12 years before she finally did the ivf thing a few times.

So anyway, I went to see my reproductive endo after we started trying, as she had been treating me for my PCOS/irregular cycles/etc and had all of my history. Husband and I did a year of the fertility gauntlet: clomid, shots, sex schedules (itís oh-so-hot to have to chase your husband down the hallway and yell ďBANG ME NOW, ITíS OVULATION DAY!!Ē). Finally, after a year of this crap, my doc did an internal ultrasound and found a tiny cyst on my right ovary. She stopped all fertility meds and wanted to put me on BCPs, to reduce hormones and encourage the cyst to shrink. Unfortunately I canít take BCPs (I spent two years trying literally every brand under the sun, and every single one gave me RAGING migraines), so we ended up just taking a break from fertility treatment all together.

Fast forward through a year of trying and crying; this past November I spent a week feeling sick and dry heaving into the can, when I finally took a pregnancy test. I had no hopes that it would be positive, but as it turns out, it was. I took two more tests to be sureÖyep, definitely pregnant. Yay!

So I made an appointment with my doc, and they did the ultrasound and I got to see my little critter floating around in there, devising new and innovative ways to make me barf. The he scanned to the right and found this fucking Godzilla-sized cyst on my right ovary. Itís the same one that made me stop trying the fertility treatments, and apparently instead of shrinking, it grew to the size of a small moose.
Doc also did a pap, and more good news Ė that came back with abnormal cells. Fun!

So I have an appointment on the 31st to go do a coloscopy to check out my giblets and see if thereís anything scary up in there. He also wants to check on my cyst, which had gotten a little bigger between my first ultrasound and my second.
And here are the questions behind my tl;dr story:

1) The cyst on my right ovary is roughly 2 inches right now. Iíve been having twinges of pain in the small of my back for the past 4 or 5 days. Itís not constant, but is off and on every day and it's always in the same location. Sometimes light pain, sometimes bad enough to wake me up out of a sound sleep. Could that be from the cyst, or is it just something harmless like cancer or the black plague?

2) Has anyone here ever had to have a cyst removed during pregnancy? Cause Iím worried that this thing is going to grow to the size of a watermelon and squash my fetus.

Obviously, these are things that Iíll ask my doctor, but I wonít see him for another three weeks. I donít want to try and get an earlier appointment unless the pain becomes constant and blinding, or causes me to bleed from the eyes and ears. I figured I'd ask you guys in the meantime, to see if anyone had any experience in this area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 PM
The noblest of savages

Welcome to the board and I hope someone can shed some light on this for you.

ďI donít know why we donít create some sort of system where we could train [Syrian refugees] to then go back to their own country and then fight for that country. Doesnít somebody have to stay in the Middle East and make the Middle East a better place to live?Ē

Bill Maher
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge. You're funny. Congratulations on the pregnancy. I have plenty of experience with cysts, but nothing like your Frankencyst while pregnant. I would be inclined to remove it if your doctor advises it and it can be done safely. Good luck to you! Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Jazz
Why are they waiting 3 weeks when your pap already came back abnormal?

Sorry, I have no advice to offer. I hope it all works out for you though!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Hard-Core Sybermom

There's actually a Youtube video showing the procedure on a pregnant woman. But this study found no problems with removing cysts during pregnancy, if they were cared for properly: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9065118

Citizens4Truth

"The reason we feel insecure is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel." ó Steve Furtick
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 PM
DD with Ramin Karimloo after Les Miz
Hard-Core Sybermom

Unbelievable medical care youre getting there? Have you been released from your endo yet? With that history, they're making you wait three weeks? I'd be looking for a new doctor stat!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I have no idea about the cyst (other than my college roommate carrying a pregnancy to term with a painful cyst on an ovary) but congrats on your pregnancy and welcome! Click here to enlarge

"Hands that help are far better than lips that pray."

--Robert G. Ingersoll (1833-1899)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Hey lady! Im inclined to agree that I'd be trying to get in earlier, especially with an abnormal pap. If its painful enough to wake you out of a dead sleep, that seems like cause to go back to the doc and talk about your moose cyst.

Hopefully you get some answers soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

General Immoral Fuckery
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 05:05 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Welcome! Congratulations on your pregnancy and no I wouldn't wait 3 weeks, I would call and ask to be fit into a cancellation spot or referred to one of the partners, etc. They usually have several that work together to cover each other and surely they can find someone to see you.

Good luck!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

RE: the abnormal pap, I only gave you guys the very basic info, in the interest of not making my post 6 pages long and making your eyes glaze over. Click here to enlarge
Here's what the doc told me about it (keep in mind that all of my medical knowledge comes from watching episodes of House, so I am probably going to really screw up what he told me...but this is the general gist of it):

Apparently there are four overall "ranges" (my word) when it comes to pap results:
Normal | Low Risk | Severe/High Risk | OH SHIT IT'S CANCER
My abnormal cells fell into the lower spectrum of the Low Risk range. My doc said that it's fairly common to see pregnant women fall into that area, cause our bodies are all jacked up on hormones and fetus juice or whatever, and that they usually fall back into the normal range after delivery. (I have a friend who confirmed that the same thing happened to her; abnormal cells during pregnancy, normal results after delivery)

Doc said that based on that info, it's not something that he's overly concerned about at this time, but is something he wants to check out and monitor.

We're waiting to do the coloscopy on the 31st because he wants to do it all at once; the ultrasound first, to see if/how much the cyst has grown (oh yeah, and to make sure the kid is still swimming around in there, I guess), the wellness check junk, the coloscopy, and then sit down and review the results.

Despite having PCOS, this is the first actual cyst I've ever had; all of my PCOS issues/symptoms were actually caused by insulin resistance rather than cysts, and were kept under control with a combo of Metformin and Spironolactone. Up until a few days ago, I hadn't experienced any pain in relation to this cyst, which is what made me wonder if they'd have to take the thing out before I deliver, and whether it was safe.

Also possibly of note, I also get screened for cancer regularly because I had stage 2 melanoma in '07; my last bloodwork was done a few weeks before I found out I was knocked up, and that came back with two thumbs up and a gold star.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

It sounds like you have a well informed Dr.

Please do stick around-you're funny.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 06:18 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Oh okay well in that case, I would still call if its causing you pain though. Glad to know the abnormal pap is low risk, you have enough on your plate.

General Immoral Fuckery
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Juniper
Click here to enlarge I do like you. You're funny and clever.

I have nothing more to add because I haven't had a frankencyst. I remember seeing a cyst when I had my first US with one of my kids and it looked enormous, but the tech said it was normal sized.

Here's hoping the pregnancy sticks, and your baby will move on to tap dancing on your bladder and giving you stretch marks.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

No experience with cysts either, although I did have a fibroid tumor (they are non-cancerous) that grew during each of my pregnancies and then later grew to massive proportions and I had a hysterectomy. We named him Teddy the tumor.

I am not a doctor, but it sounds like they are monitoring you well. My sister has PCOS and I can't remember if she had any cysts, I will try to remember to ask her.

And most of all, Congrats!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Sorry, I have no advice, but congratulations on the pregnancy!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I got nothing, but "fetus juice" made me laugh Click here to enlarge

I hope it all works out for you. Click here to enlarge

Mickey Mackey Boo Ba Boo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in