First, we are a public board. The content of each post in any forum at Sybermoms.com is the sole responsibility of the poster.
And most importantly, while you are free to say what you want without being censored by Sybermoms, you do have lawyers to worry about.
When you are posting your review, particularly if it is a negative one, you need to make sure you have your ducks in a row. If not, and if the owner of the business you are reviewing wants to take legal action, you could be sued for libel.
Essentially, libel is defaming or harming a living person's or business's (referred to hereafter as the plaintiff) reputation in writing.
Here are some qualifications to determine if something is libelous
1. The statement must be a false statement of fact.
2. The statement must harm the reputation of the plaintiff, not merely be insulting or offensive.
3. The statement must be published (posted in this forum, for example) and identify the plaintiff specifically.
4. The statement must have been made negligently.
Defenses to libel:
1. The statement is true.
2. The statements are opinions.
For more information, please read FAQ
at the Libel Defense Resource Center.