Sybermoms Parenting Forum

Sybermoms Parenting Forum (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/)
-   Honest General Products and Services Reviews (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/330-honest-general-products-services-reviews/)
-   -   Diaper Genie Old vs New (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/330-honest-general-products-services-reviews/146326-diaper-genie-old-vs-new.html)

ShitsnGiggles 01-28-2004 06:03 PM

Diaper Genie Old vs New

I'm probably showing my age here...but I had a hand-me-down older Diaper Genie (the small mouthed one) when I had DD and I loved it. It was my sister's, so I returned it to her when she had baby #2. Anyway, when DS was born, we went ahead and purchased the newer model Diaper Genie (wider mouth) and I just LOATHE the stupid thing. It seems like a bigger hassle than the old one...am I imagining things or is it really a pain in the ass? And does anyone have any suggestions as to which system you would use instead?

Krissa 01-28-2004 06:31 PM

Yep, I loved the old Diaper Genie. My sister-in-law had the new one and is sucked.

drea 01-28-2004 07:31 PM

I don't know the old model, but I find the "new" model to be a pain in the ass as far as putting in a new bag thingie, but it sure does keep the smell down.

Big-Footed Monster 01-28-2004 10:16 PM

I used the Diaper Genie for about a year. It is very frustrating to try and change the liners. After my DG broke, I found the neat! Diaper Disposal from Safety 1st. Much better!. It is so much easier to change, and I have not noticed a smell yet, as I did with my DG. Lets see if the link works.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=baby&n=542422

Devils Advocate 01-29-2004 05:51 AM

The diaper genie I had with ds, when it was still diaper genie brand, was far better than the one I had with dd. I junked the one I had and now we're using a small trash can that we empty and re-line every day.

The Elegant Farmer 01-29-2004 05:58 AM

I don't know a think about the old one, I use the one currently being sold. and although it does keep the smell down, changing it is a freaking nightmare...those little "sausages" are hard to aim while holding the whole unit on my hip!
And changing the liner is a pain in the ass too, especially when you've forgotten to do it after emptying it and you have a stinky bomb in your hand.

ShitsnGiggles 01-29-2004 06:41 AM

Thank you...I feel much better now; I thought I was just too impatient to work the DG properly. Even though DS is only 6 mos old, I have been using the toddler liners; it seems like they do a better job of keeping the stink suppressed.

BethyM99 01-29-2004 09:32 AM

Part of our problem with stink, is that we've never dumped poos in the toilet as you are suppose to (yes, even with disposables).

I only notice it when I open the lid though, all in all it has been a good product for us. I have changed the liner, but hubby usually does it and has gotten quite good at it. The liners are expensive though, although Toys 'R Us does a buy 3 get 1 free when they have their baby sale.

Jibber Jabber 01-29-2004 02:12 PM

I hated it (I only had the newer version). I didn't have a problem with poo smell because I dumped the poo in the toilet, but our problem was the pee smell.

Also, for newborn dipes it didn't work well because they weren't big enough to be held in place well so when I twisted the liner to seal it, the whole thing just spun.

Then later, one of the grabber things that hold the dipes broke off. It's not like I was slam dunking diapers in there or anything.

MSRX 02-01-2004 01:06 PM

I loved mine, although it took me quite awhile to get proficient at changing the plastic bag. I've heard from people who've used the older model, that they couldn't get toddler diapers to fit in it.

Chica 02-04-2004 04:27 PM

I am not familar with the old diaper genie either but I did purchase the new style when I had dd and I hated it. I am usually pretty good at putting shit together but I could not figure out how to get it to work. I donated it and just put the diapers in the trash. Worked out much better for me.