Diaper Genie Old vs New - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Honest General Products and Services Reviews Honest, uncensored reviews of products and services and the businesses which provide them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 07:03 PM
ShitsnGiggles
Ambulance Chaser

Diaper Genie Old vs New

I'm probably showing my age here...but I had a hand-me-down older Diaper Genie (the small mouthed one) when I had DD and I loved it. It was my sister's, so I returned it to her when she had baby #2. Anyway, when DS was born, we went ahead and purchased the newer model Diaper Genie (wider mouth) and I just LOATHE the stupid thing. It seems like a bigger hassle than the old one...am I imagining things or is it really a pain in the ass? And does anyone have any suggestions as to which system you would use instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 07:31 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Krissa
Yep, I loved the old Diaper Genie. My sister-in-law had the new one and is sucked.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:31 PM
drea
Ambulance Chaser

I don't know the old model, but I find the "new" model to be a pain in the ass as far as putting in a new bag thingie, but it sure does keep the smell down.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 11:16 PM
RIP Freddy, best dog ever
Hard-Core Sybermom

I used the Diaper Genie for about a year. It is very frustrating to try and change the liners. After my DG broke, I found the neat! Diaper Disposal from Safety 1st. Much better!. It is so much easier to change, and I have not noticed a smell yet, as I did with my DG. Lets see if the link works.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=baby&n=542422
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 06:51 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

The diaper genie I had with ds, when it was still diaper genie brand, was far better than the one I had with dd. I junked the one I had and now we're using a small trash can that we empty and re-line every day.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 06:58 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I don't know a think about the old one, I use the one currently being sold. and although it does keep the smell down, changing it is a freaking nightmare...those little "sausages" are hard to aim while holding the whole unit on my hip!
And changing the liner is a pain in the ass too, especially when you've forgotten to do it after emptying it and you have a stinky bomb in your hand.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 07:41 AM
ShitsnGiggles
Ambulance Chaser

Thank you...I feel much better now; I thought I was just too impatient to work the DG properly. Even though DS is only 6 mos old, I have been using the toddler liners; it seems like they do a better job of keeping the stink suppressed.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 10:32 AM
Ambulance Chaser

Part of our problem with stink, is that we've never dumped poos in the toilet as you are suppose to (yes, even with disposables).

I only notice it when I open the lid though, all in all it has been a good product for us. I have changed the liner, but hubby usually does it and has gotten quite good at it. The liners are expensive though, although Toys 'R Us does a buy 3 get 1 free when they have their baby sale.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 03:12 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I hated it (I only had the newer version). I didn't have a problem with poo smell because I dumped the poo in the toilet, but our problem was the pee smell.

Also, for newborn dipes it didn't work well because they weren't big enough to be held in place well so when I twisted the liner to seal it, the whole thing just spun.

Then later, one of the grabber things that hold the dipes broke off. It's not like I was slam Click here to enlargeg diapers in there or anything.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to MSRX Send a message via Yahoo to MSRX
I loved mine, although it took me quite awhile to get proficient at changing the plastic bag. I've heard from people who've used the older model, that they couldn't get toddler diapers to fit in it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I am not familar with the old diaper genie either but I did purchase the new style when I had dd and I hated it. I am usually pretty good at putting shit together but I could not figure out how to get it to work. I donated it and just put the diapers in the trash. Worked out much better for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in