Sybermoms Parenting Forum

Sybermoms Parenting Forum (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/)
-   Got Balls? (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/42-got-balls/)
-   -   A beer worth trying (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/42-got-balls/425719-beer-worth-trying.html)

turkeyjoe 05-07-2011 11:00 PM

Firestone Walker Double Jack IPA

I was expecting to do battle with a double IPA after being kicked out of bed (see the SNL thread) and feeling like crap. But was I surprised. A DIPA that has manners, and wows at the same time. An easily drinkable 9.5% ABV? I thought if I log into ratebeer and this scores an 85 or something, I will raise a ruckus, but the raters on ratebeer had the same experience I did. F'ing Sweet, and from my stomping grounds on the central coast to boot. :)

turkeyjoe 05-22-2011 10:39 AM

Porters

Bells Porter

Tasted side by side on tap, I liked the Great Lakes better. I'm not a porter drinker, but the GL-EFP is a nice beer. I felt it had more flavor and was a richer overall experience.

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter

on tap-
Unfair to compare with the above two, but a burly porter. Nice, rich, strong.

turkeyjoe 05-22-2011 11:32 AM

Sam Adams Latitude 48 Series

A limited release twelve pack with a 5 hop IPA. You get two beers of the 5 hop IPA and 10 beers (2 each) of the 5 hops individually. Interesting marketing idea, some of the parts appear to be more than the combined sum.

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA

the five-

Simcoe

Zeus

Ahtanum

East Kent Goldings

hallertau-mittelfrueh

turkeyjoe 05-28-2011 10:15 AM

Do you have one in your store?

I'm going to win.

La Dee Frickin' Da 06-04-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turkeyjoe (Post 9547826)
Where did you drink it?

What did it taste like?

Did you like it?

Sounds interesting, thanks for commenting.

It's an Uber Abbey Ale. I tried it at a Beer Fest. Very good.

turkeyjoe 06-16-2011 10:19 PM

time to play catch up

Firestone Walkers Reserve

Nice Porter, I still prefer the Great Lakes porter.

Ommegang Hennepin
Very nice outdoors summer beer,
I had it on tap and could not find it at my local beer establishment, so I settled for Ommegang Belgian-style Pale Ale I was not impressed. I found the Hennepin later in the bottle and it did not disappoint.

Point Nude Beach Summer Wheat

In a can, not bad. Compare to Blue Moon.

Howe Sound Devils Elbow IPA
Not bad, I bought it for the 1 litre flip top to use for home brewing.

turkeyjoe 07-05-2011 08:53 PM

playing catch up

Bells Best Brown Ale

I had this with the Robert the Bruce, I liked this better.

Three Floyds Robert The Bruce My least wowed 3F product

Boulevard Long Strange Tripel

and

Boulevard Double Wide IPA

Both of these were good, I would buy them again.

Flat Branch Green Chili Beer

The most awesome chili beer ever, a huge chili nose and a heated finish, not a great beer, but 50 lbs of Anaheim Chilies let you know they are there.

turkeyjoe 07-25-2011 07:58 PM

Wisconsin Field Trip

Capital Island Wheat

Brewed with wheat from Washington Island, WI But not an outstanding wheat beer.

Hinterland Cherry Wheat Ale

Tart finish and cherry completely dominates the wheat. I had cherries in my beer, on my french toast, and on some outstanding duck while in Door Co. Perhaps in the beer was too much.

Hinterland Pale Ale
meh, not great

Tyranena Rockys Revenge Bourbon Brown

Finished SILs, nice beer

turkeyjoe 08-02-2011 04:58 PM

beer tent review

You should buy this-

Summit Silver Anniversary Ale

Very nice beer, try it if you can find it. Twin Cities people, you have no excuse.

pumpkinsmom 08-17-2011 12:48 PM

turkeyjoe 09-11-2011 08:48 AM

Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout

On tap. Amazing nose, delicious vanilla and custard smells from two feet away. I told a total stranger to smell this beer. "Wow". And it's a nice stout at the same time. The only problem is it is a bit too sweetish to drink too much of. If you ever want an after dinner beer and a dessert, this is it.

turkeyjoe 09-11-2011 09:20 AM

Pale Ales in a can

Onion Paddy Pale Ale

Finch’s Cut Throat Pale Ale

Half Acre Daisy Cutter

Point Cascade Pale Ale

There has been a push to market pale ale beer in cans recently. They rate all over the point scale. The Finch and Daisy have a bitter finish, I like the Wild Onion, the Point is a budget buy and better than any the regular, readily available domestic swill.

turkeyjoe 10-13-2011 08:58 PM

turkeyjoe 10-22-2011 08:18 PM

Stone 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA Escondidian? Is that even a word? One who hails from Escondido? And if you do, how cool would that be to have this brewery in your town, and live near the ocean in SoCal? The beer itself is good, dark strong and hoppy. But it reminded me of another beer. So let's go over here.........

Flying Dog Wild Dog Barrel-Aged Gonzo I have discovered one thing I don't like in my beer is oak. Oak aged, oak chips, anything oak has been a general let down. Yet I bought this, and it sells for 5 or 6 dollars a bottle. You don't taste oak, you taste whiskey notes on an already fine imperial porter. My beer guy had mentioned this was one of the best beers he has ever tasted, I might agree.

Three Floyds Zombie Dust
"One of these things is not like the other....... " Hoppy APA :drool Sampled at a drawing to win the chance to purchase a bottle of Founder's Canadian Breakfast Stout currently selling from 40-100 dollars on ebay. Zombie Dust is hard to find.

turkeyjoe 12-01-2011 04:22 PM

Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale

12 oz. bottle Hoppy nose, golden color, bready and medium body, then a bitter, astringent finsh. Winter Seasonal? Not Really. ASA? Not Really. Worth a try? Heck Yeah.

Firestone Walker 15 (XV) 76% Barleywine, a blend of 8 different beers put together by local winemakers. Interesting, but too strong for my tastes. Sampled during turkey day.

turkeyjoe 01-17-2012 07:30 PM

I was going to grow these, until I read this:

Quote:

Hops are poisonous to dogs if ingested and veterinary assistance should be sought should this occur.
Who knew?

turkeyjoe 01-23-2012 07:36 PM

I have tired of the whole beer rating thing.....:lol

But this is just too good.

Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

:drool

turkeyjoe 01-25-2012 04:42 AM

There is a ratebeer ap for android phones, it is a very handy tool.

RabbitTwo 02-24-2012 04:58 PM

agree with

agree with author good!

turkeyjoe 02-24-2012 08:38 PM

Urgent Message to Cali peeps

http://www.firestonebeer.com/mingle/...-beer-fest.php

click on breweries, YOU MUST ATTEND. Sure to be great.

I may have to be there, my dad has a ticket :lol