Question about heart rate - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Baby Got Back Trying to lose weight? Need some motivation and support? Come join us as we discuss the up's and down's of shedding those extra pounds.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Hard-Core Sybermom

Question about heart rate

I bought a recumbent bike (stationary) and I really like it. It says I need to get my heart rate up around 135 to burn fat. I have always had an issue doing this. I simply can't get my heart to beat that fast. I'm gasping for air and feel like my chest is about to explode at 99.

My resting heart rate right now is 61, if that means anything.

I have allergies which sometimes cause breathing issues and a hiatal hernia which could be causing the pressure.

Will it just take more time to get my heart rate up? Is it really not doing ANYTHING beneficial working out in the 90s as every infomercial is telling me?

Citizens4Truth

"The reason we feel insecure is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel." — Steve Furtick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 05:42 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Just keep working at it. It will take awhile, especially if you haven't been working out in awhile. Also-keep the tension as loose as you can and that will also help.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 06:16 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

It's too bad you and I cant' split. Also, the if you're using a device on the bike, they are notoriously wrong, so Id' try something else.

My rate is always way high, my trainer basically told me to work and feel it but not feel sick and I'm fine.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 06:24 AM
First day of school
Hard-Core Sybermom

Different people have different maximum heart rates. Yours might be on the lower side of average, making it tough to push your heart rate up to where the bike programming thinks it should be. Formulas don't work for everyone. The monitor on the bike might not be accurate either.

When I was running 25+ miles per week, my resting heart rate while lying in bed at night was in the low 40s. Then I got pregnant and very quickly my resting heart rate jumped up to 70ish. It was difficult to sleep at night because when I was still and quiet, all I could feel was my heart that felt like it was racing. I got used to it after a couple of months.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes, Again View Post
Different people have different maximum heart rates. Yours might be on the lower side of average, making it tough to push your heart rate up to where the bike programming thinks it should be. Formulas don't work for everyone. The monitor on the bike might not be accurate either.

When I was running 25+ miles per week, my resting heart rate while lying in bed at night was in the low 40s. Then I got pregnant and very quickly my resting heart rate jumped up to 70ish. It was difficult to sleep at night because when I was still and quiet, all I could feel was my heart that felt like it was racing. I got used to it after a couple of months.
This is true - here is a better gauge for estimating your heart rate, based on your RHR and your age-adjusted MHR. You can also find other VO2Max calculators that add another layer of complexity onto the calculation:

http://www.calculatenow.biz/sport/he...te+Zones#zones

make sure you scroll down to the 2nd calculator on the page to get your more personalized range. My RHR is really low, so the generic values on heart rate charts don't apply to me at all. I don't have to get my heart rate up nearly as high as "they" tell me to do. Click here to enlarge
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Thanks for the calculator it turns out I am right about where it says I should be. My resting rate is high and I get up to around 170 while I work out and according to that it's perfect Click here to enlarge.

My dh has the same issue as you all, when he's really working out his resting rate is like 45.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes, Again View Post

If I ran 25+ miles a week I'm pretty sure my resting heart rate would be 0 — and permanent!

Citizens4Truth

"The reason we feel insecure is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel." — Steve Furtick
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 06:25 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

my heart rate goes up to 180 when i run on the treadmill. it kind of freaks me out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in