I don't know what I'm gonna tell the kids! - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Grief support Support forum for those dealing with grief due to the loss of a loved one or those dealing with pregnancy loss.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I don't know what I'm gonna tell the kids!

Our beautiful Sheltie just got run over in the street right outside our house. We live on a quiet dead-end street with a 30 mph limit PLUS he avoids cars like the plague so whoever hit him had to be hauling ass because they splattered parts of him everywhere.

MOTHER FUCKERS!!!

They just left him there.

I hope they ROT IN HELL!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 06:13 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Mother fucker

Filthy bastards. That is horrible. My heart goes out to you and your family. Did you see it happen? Did any of your neighbors? I suppose the liklihood of tracking down the heartless swine is slim to none but a glimer of hope refuses to die.

I feel for you. I lost a beautiful Siberian Husky we'd had since he was a pup in the same way a few years back. He was randy despite being neutered and was always finding a way around our efforts to keep the fence secured. Long story short, he got out and onto a very busy street. Losing him was heartbreaking. I understand how rotten you must feel.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I am so sorry for you. Our dog was hit in front of our house 2 yrs ago. Our 7 year old was walking him and dropped the leash when the dog charged at a car.

We helped him get through the grieving by letting him make one of those cement patio stones. He was able to design it himself and it now serves as a headstone where we buried the dog. This really seemed to help him.

Again, so sorry for your loss.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Thanks, y'all - it's really nice to get a bit of support, especially after someone gave me bad rep and called me a "LOSER" for posting this in the grief forum. Click here to enlarge

I also got a shithead response in this thread too: http://www.sybermoms.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479469

Don't you love how they post that crap "ever so nicely" in the SUPPORT FORUM. If you're not into the support thing, that's fine, but don't visit those forums just to be an ass! There are plenty of other forums available where you can be an evil bitch.

Annnnyywaaaay ............

I'm planning to create one of those stone markers with my kids. Do y'all have some good ideas???

~Thanks again for the sympathies~ Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

How did your kids end up taking the news? I can say, even though my son seemed to handle it well (in comparison to my reaction), he would sometimes start crying months later about what happened.

As far as suggestions, we pressed stones into the cement (colored stones, heart shaped, & printed with inspirational words). You could use a cookie cutter to create impressions in the cement or freehand with a knife. The craft stores may offer suggestions too. We also imprinted his name on the stone with the date of his death. However, all that we did was decided by our son because this was meant to be his design. He picked out all of the stones at the store and pressed them into place in the cement....we did the writing for him.

My husband covered the stone with epoxy to protect it from the weather, but it got all cloudy and looks pretty bad now. I don't recommend the clear coat over the top.

Good Luck !!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Thanks for the great advice! Click here to enlarge

I had originally thought to use one of those ready-mix concrete jobs you can decorate with stuff from the craft store (and I still might do that) but a friend emailed me a picture of a stone that she ordered from somewhere that actually has the image of a Sheltie on it. It's really pretty.

Not sure what I'm gonna do yet, but thanx for the info! I'll probably end up going with the do-it-yourself version you described since we are the epitomy of Click here to enlargeess at the moment, plus I think the girls would like being involved in creating it.

---

The kids took the news better than I thought, but then again we had been calling him "the old man" for the past year because he had just started getting a little stiff in the mornings and slightly cranky at times. So maybe, in a way, they subconsciously already knew it might be soon. They still cried and moped but they did better than me.

I probably took it harder than anyone since he was "MY" dog. It was just such a shock. According to our vet, he was in perfect health and very active and playful, so she expected him to live at least another 2 to 3 years. I was thinking that it would certainly be awhile before I had to worry about him slowing down or getting to a point where we'd have to make a decision to put him down so he wouldn't be miserable.

I'm happy we had him for 12 years, but I'm angry that he had plenty of living left to do and that was shot to hell by those mother-fucking sons-of-bitches.
Sorry. Still angry....... Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I get the anger thing. The man that hit our dog had our neighbors from down the street in the back seat. Everytime I see the neighbors, I feel a little anger bubbling up inside. I know it was an accident, but sometimes logic doesn't change the way I feel.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I know how you are feeling, I just recently went through the same thing with my beagle, Snoopy. She was such a good dog, but someone just hit her and left her there to die alone. I remember when I was younger and our Airedale Terrier got hit by a car and I begged my mom to let me come with her and my dad when they put him to sleep so I could say goodbye one last time. It was so tough for me, and I will never forget the sounds he made or the look in his eye as he took his last breath, nuzzling his nose against my hand. That's one of the toughest things about owning a dog, though, you know there is a great chance of them dying before you do, unless you're an elderly person. Keep hanging in there, things will get better for you.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:59 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oh my God, this is a terrible incident. Filthy bastards. That is horrible. My heart goes out to you and your family. Did you see it happen? Did any of your neighbors? I suppose the likelihood of tracking them down? Hope it gets better. How are your kids holding up? God forbid People are so heartless these days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in