Help me prepare. - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Grief support Support forum for those dealing with grief due to the loss of a loved one or those dealing with pregnancy loss.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Jazz
Help me prepare.

DD's (5th grade) math teacher who she had last year for math and has this year for homeroom and math spent last year going through treatment for colon cancer. He went through all the chemo, radiation and even had to have a temporary colostomy. He got through all of that and has had even had the colostomy reversed and is back teaching full time this year.

He's DD's favorite teacher, he always talks to her (or he triesClick here to enlarge) with British accent and picks on her a lot. I just found out that he went back for a check up and they found more cancer on his liver and elsewhere in his pelvic area. It's not public knowledge yet but I suspect it's not going to go well. How do I tell her when &/or if the time comes?

This poor guy is so young, him and his wife are both DD's teachers. They just took custody of his Mom's 2 yo foster daughter b/c she was just diagnosed with leukemia and is undergoing treatmentClick here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I wish I knew how to help you. We tried to prepare dd for my moms death, but it doesn't really work Click here to enlarge You never are prepared, even when you know it's coming and I think it's even harder for kids.

I would just be honest with her and tell her that he's sick again, and that the outcome doesn't look good. Answer any questions she may have as honestly and truthfully as you can.

Good luck and I'm sorry about the teacher, how sad for him, his family and his school/community.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Jazz
Thanks, I've been waiting for him to tell them which he has done now. He has such a great outlook about it all, he's a very positive person, I'm really hoping that this is just a case of my glass half empty outlook on life.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in