When Should You Get Your Kid a Cell Phone? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Featured Articles and Topics Featured parenting topics in the community.

8Likes
  • 1 Post By Twinklestars
  • 1 Post By Faster Pussycat
  • 1 Post By Naomi
  • 1 Post By Olive
  • 1 Post By Sextillion
  • 1 Post By Babykins
  • 1 Post By Jinny Howse
  • 1 Post By priyaangel
  • 1 Post By Babykins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

When Should You Get Your Kid a Cell Phone?

Click here to enlarge

I recently read an article that indicated that more than half of kids have a cell phone by the time they are 6 years old.

SERIOUSLY?

At what age to YOU think it is okay to get your kid a cell phone?

Last edited by Cricket; 10-26-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 10:08 PM
My biggest fear is that there is no PMS and that this is my personality.
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Twinklestars
Mine were not six, but at 17 and 15, they have them.
Cricket likes this.

I am not one of those who believe - broadly speaking - that women are better than men. We have not wrecked railroads, nor corrupted legislatures, nor done many unholy things that men have done; but then we must remember that we have not had the chance.- Jane Addams
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 06:40 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

My six year old does not have her own phone, but she surprised me by downloading a calling app and calling me from her tablet the other day. I wasn't sure how I felt about that until I realized I can quit worrying about not having a landline anymore.
Cricket likes this.

Mickey Mackey Boo Ba Boo
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 08:32 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I think most of those six-year-olds with cell phones had parents who wanted new phones themselves, and there was a technology cascade. My younger daughter would have really loved a smartphone to use as a music player, and if we'd had early-generation iPhones that we didn't want to use any longer... we weren't early adopters, though, so no joy there. I'm still using my first smartphone, and my husband replaced his in July because his first smartphone died.

We bought her a smartphone for her birthday, though. She's twelve. Her fifteen-year-old sister still doesn't have a smartphone because she turns her nose up at the idea. Republic Wireless will sell you an inexpensive smartphone with a $10/month unlimited calling/texting plan and no data plan, which is actually a much better deal than most of what's out there; she can use data over wifi and she can use the phone as a music player and so on.

Anyway, on the most fundamental level, you get your kid a phone when they start to need a phone, usually because they're doing stuff independently, but you might want them to have a phone because they're riding the school bus home and your neighbor's kid got dropped off at the wrong stop and freaked out. Or because you share custody with a fucknut ex. Or because they're in a play and rehearsals finish at somewhat unpredictable times. Or any number of other reasons.
Cricket likes this.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Olive
we got emma's 3gs when she was 10. it was an older phone even then. she's had a phone for 4 years. we initially used it so we had a "land line" that was movable.

we have had it locked so she cannot install any apps herself without her coming to us and asking us to put in the password. anything less than that seems dangerous to me and stupid.

spencer has an ipad (he bought) that is new enough that it has facetime. so he can use it as a phone. he's 9.

i don't see it being a huge deal for a kid to have access to a device even when young. i think the real issue is when they have access to all the apps they want, all the internet they want, etc. we lock our kids' devices to only allow them to see certain things. and they can't use them upstairs.
Cricket likes this.

Petition the White House to Adopt the Chartreuse Awareness Ribbon for the Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse.

"While there are many colors for various causes, (for example, Child Abuse and Autism both share the same color ribbon) there is no nationally recognized ribbon in chartreuse. Child sexual abuse affects so many children and yet prevention organizations struggle to receive the funding they need to raise awareness and educate people on all the simple ways we can empower our children, families, and communities against abuse."
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 09:53 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Both of my kids got dumb phones in middle school and my highschooler got a hand-me-down iPhone in 9th grade. Ours are locked down pretty much the way Olive describes, even my highschooler has to come to me before getting an app. Both kids have iPads through school that have some restrictions too.
Cricket likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Blue Tongue Lizard

My daughter is already 13 and we just gave her a cellphone last year when she was 12. the purpose of the phone was to easily contact her when she is in school or at her friends house, and also for emergency purposes.
jurriencollins likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 12:35 AM
Blue Tongue Lizard

For me 10 up will be okay to give your kids a cellular phones. Just remind them about the do's and don'ts in using their phones.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 06:26 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

In order to answer this question and decide if it is appropriate for our child to have a cell phone, we must consider these questions:
- Do your kids show a sense of responsibility, such as letting you know when they leave the house? Do they show up when they say they will?
- Do your kids need to be in touch for safety reasons?
- Would having easy access to friends benefit them for social reasons?
- Do you think they'll use cell phones responsibly -- for example, not texting during class or disturbing others with their phone conversations?
- Can they adhere to limits you set for minutes talked and apps downloaded?
- Will they use text, photo, and video functions responsibly and not to embarrass or harass others?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 12:45 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Hello dear, it is very common question in most of the parents these days that what is right is to give your kids a new cell phone. A cell phone is one of the most important parts of our lives now but it is a big question that which is the right age of any kid to use mobile. It is one of the major confusion for most of the parents because they want to take right decisions for their kid always. It always depends on environment and needs of your kid that how you should handle this situation. Every parent faces this situation in a different way and needs different help. It is not a good thing that your kid is having a personal cell phone at the age of 6. He does not have any important work of any cell phone at this is. I donít think any parent will allow how to use any personal cell phone at this age. These days, kids are getting advanced day by day and they are using cell phones of parents at very young age. Then they start demanding their personal cell phone but it is not important to give them at age of 6 or 10. They should be at least in the age of 15 to 16 when you can think to give them a cell phone. It is also important to monitor their regular activities and your responsibilities will be increased when you will give personal cell phone to them. These days, kids are also learning many unwanted and unnecessary things by using cell phone and Internet. It is very important to monitor the activities of your kid at such age so that you can help him to make a better future.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 05:12 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Hi, all. I think there are some risks of giving kids a cell phone. technology is taking over your kid's life. they miss parties and other events. they stay up late to catch a favorite show. they eat meals in front of the cell phone or computer. Also, they go to bed with the cell phone on. But you can Make plans for them to see their friends regularly. Record shows to watch later so they get a good night's sleep. help them to eat at the dinner table, stay away from any screens. I think these tips may help you to protect your kids from the danger of cell phone.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 11:23 PM
Blue Tongue Lizard

I got my first phone when I was seven years old but before I can only do text and call. But I think that 10 years old and up can already have a smartphone. You just have to supervise them that having a smartphone won't distract them from studying or get them in trouble.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 03:34 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Hi, all. I can feel your confusion and worries about your kids. I think there are some risks of giving kids a cell phone. especially a cell phone has a negative effect on the brain. technology is taking over your kid's life. Iím a mom of a child he is 11 Y.O. I was talking to him about not using the cell phone. we discussed to let him use the cell phone an hour a day. First, he annoyed then he is content with this routine. I used to share him reading books and go for a picnic. At his tenth birthday, I bought a cell phone to him. We discussed again how he will use the cell phone without disrupting the routine. we decided that he must have to see his friends regularly. He Records shows to watch later so he got a well night sleep. He also eats at the dinner table, and stay away from any screens. Hope my experience help you with your problem.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 12:39 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Hello there. It is not a good thing that your kid is having a personal cell phone at the age of 6. He does not have any important work of any cell phone at this is. I donít think any parent will allow how to use any personal cell phone at this age. These days, kids are getting advanced day by day and they are using cell phones of parents at very young age. Then they start demanding their personal cell phone but it is not important to give them at age of 6 or 10. They should be at least in the age of 15 to 16 when you can think to give them a cell phone. It is also important to monitor their regular activities and your responsibilities will be increased when you will give personal cell phone to them. These days, kids are also learning many unwanted and unnecessary things by using cell phone and Internet. It is very important to monitor the activities of your kid at such age so that you can help him to make a better future.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 12:12 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

As late as possible.

During this lockdown, I had realised one thing that being at home the whole day had turned my children screen-addicted. Whenever I have seen them they were always with a phone or Tab(mine) or on TV watching some stupid fun. I had to do something about it. And I did.

We started spending more time with them..having conversations, inhouse games, household chores and so on..Here is a complete list of what we did to get rid of our kids's mobile addiction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in