One of the hardest things. - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Single Moms Single Moms Support- We're doing by ourselves but we're not alone. Come here to chat about the pros and cons of being an unattached parent. Support only please.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By k-townmama
  • 1 Post By ShellofmyFormerSelf
  • 1 Post By Lizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

One of the hardest things.

I am struggling to make a decision regarding my son. He will be entering grade 2 in the fall, and I need to decide whether he will stay in french immersion or switch to english. He's had some trouble lately with vowel sounds. And when it comes to his french home work, he will often say "I forget how to do that". It frustrating for me, because I can only help him so much, I don't speak or read french. I've talked to his teacher many times about this issue, and she says to just send it back and she will help him. She's assured me many times that it's okay that I don't know french, that her parents didn't either, and she made it through perfectly fine. Enough to become a french teacher Click here to enlarge. His teacher also said that if we work on his vowel sounds even more over the summer he should be fine in grade 2 french immersion.

Now comes the part of me that says, do I want my child to just do "fine" and possibly struggle. I've gone back and forth on this issue so many times in the last couple months. I've got myself so confused.

This is the part of single parenting I find the hardest. That all decisions that affect my children are my resposibility, and mine alone. His father is not involved. So it's me and me alone...I think perhaps, I'm feeling a little sorry for myself today. Click here to enlarge

I'm not sure if I'm looking for advice or just wanted to vent...or babble.

Thanks for reading all this, now what the hell should I do? Click here to enlarge
nathanbault likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Honestly I have no idea! DD has trouble speaking English (speech issues) so we've never even delved into the realm of foreign languages. If your son enjoys the French class, I'd say let him try to continue. If he hates it, I'd go ahead and help him find something else to pursue.
nathanbault likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I agree with Shell.... I would ask him if he enjoys it or if he rather not take it. He could also resume French at a different time like in middle school or high school. Just a thought.
nathanbault likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in