Speech and Occupational Therapy??? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Special needs Support, advice and information for parents and caregivers of all children with Special Needs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Speech and Occupational Therapy???

Does anybody have any children that receive these services through your school district? If so are you amazed at how low the child must score on the testing to qualify? I am looking for some parents of preschoolers to share with me their experiences. My 3 1/2yr old daughter started off in Early Intervention and then aged out and now receives services thru the school district. My daughter is making such progress in speech and OT, but is now having social interaction problems. She is afraid to talk because she thinks she doesn’t talk right. It is getting very frustrating. She also goes to a private nursery school twice a week. I am wondering if there is anything else I can do for her?

Thanks,
QueenClick here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 08:43 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My son receives both speech and a very minimal amount of OT (we are trying to get more) His speech is just for an articulation delay which was between the moderate to severe level and is now and the mild to moderate level, so he's making good progress. If you don't feel she is getting all she needs through the school look into what your insurance offers and the cost involved and maybe look for additional therapy outside of the school system. Due to insurance problems we are unable to take this route currently for our son, but as soon as we get it worked out we are definately going to try and get some additional that way. Good luck to you.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Thanks so much for your advice. I am going to contact our insurance to see what they would cover if anything.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 08:03 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via AIM to aliciameme
You might check with a nearby college, if you have one. Sometimes they have low-cost clinics where students give therapy while supervised by their professors. My ds has been getting speech at our local college for several years and it's a really great program.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in