Need help with getting child study team eval - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Special needs Support, advice and information for parents and caregivers of all children with Special Needs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Need help with getting child study team eval

The school does not want to do it. They refused until I got an occupational therapy eval. I did. The social worker that did the eval does not recommend it. He doesn't need it. I could've told em that. Now I am waiting for them to send me the eval in writing, so I can hand it to the school. I think they will delay it longer with some other excuse. I've had ds's social worker physically call the school & personally speak to a member of the child study team after leaving 2 messages & not getting a call back until I personally called the school. I have just faxed over all paperwork from the school to ds's doctor. She calls it "Impulse Control Disorder - possible emerging ADHD". She will call the school & again request the eval.

I had the principal call me at home last week to tell me that ds was sent to his office for hitting other students. I mentioned to him about having the eval done within the school. He said he would have a member of the team call me. I have received no phone call. There was a note from the teacher on Monday that ds threatened to kill 2 other students. I know he was just trying to see how far he can push it. We've had hitting, throwing, writing on desks at school, talking back, screaming, refusing to do anything & everything I tell him to do, deliberately doing what I tell him not to do. I am pissed and frustrated. It is getting more and more difficult to deal with ds. I truly am trying my best. Any advice is welcomed. Please. I need help. Maybe someone can recommend an organization that can help me get the eval. Should I consult an attorney? Please help.

Lime, I know I have requested access to the private forum & been denied for lack of posts. I have been a member for almost a year. I just don't have much time to post with the twins. I have also been a member in the past when ds was first born, and again a couple of years ago I think. Please rethink your decision. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:54 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm sorry that you are struggling. I don't think they can deny your request for an evaluation. Do your request in writing and get pushy if you have to. And yes, get an attorney if they still won't comply. That is BS.

And please know that it is not my decision alone to grant/deny people in to the forum. I'm only there to let the admins know when someone needs let in. Can you tell me what your previous user names were? I will let the group know that you are requesting access again.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

The very first thing I did, as suggested by the doctor, was to request it in writing. I will keep pushing. I will not give up.

I don't remember what my first username was (maybe princess or something). I know my 2nd was Mommy Love (not sure of spaces or capitalization. I was a member for quite a while with one of those names. I tried this time to sign back on, but I couldn't remember my password, & I have a different email address now, so I couldn't have it emailed to myself. Thanks for trying to help. I truly appreciate it.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I want to add that ds is so distraught about the situation. About a month ago, he was crying (so upset that I was in tears with him) that he has no friends at school. No one wants to sit next to him. They tell him to his face that they do not like him. He does have one friend since then, that actually invited him to his house for a playdate. His mother said he can come over in a couple of weeks. I want him to have friends. I want him to be liked. He is an extrememly intelligent boy. At the parent teacher conference I had in November, his teacher told me he is where he should be at the end of the Kindergarten year. Maybe he is bored? But his behavior is holding him back from everything else. I love him to death. Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 06:15 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

The thing to remember is that the school is only required to provide him with a free and appropriate education. They may be hedging on this because they do not feel that his behavior is truly impeding his learning. That is NOT true, obviously, but sometimes schools will work that angle, if they feel it is essentially a behavior issue.

You should check out www.wrightslaw.com -- I tried finding what the rules are for school-age kids but couldn't find it. They are required, I believe, to respond to a request for evaluation in some number of days. This is a great site and there is so much there, it's incredible.

Also, you can arrange for an independent education evaluation, and Wrightslaw recommends that everyone do that.

I'm sorry your little guy is feeling this socially. I hope they wake up and get him some services.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

i am so sorry you are having to deal with all this. yes, they should grant your reguest for an evaluation in a specified time. check with the school districts in your area. is there any resource library or other parents that can help you? i wish i could be of more help, but i just don't have any answers. here is the us dept of ed website/IDEA guidelines.

http://answers.ed.gov/cgi-bin/educat...i=&p_topview=1
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I spoke with the psychologist at the school this morning. She told me to request in writing again to do the evaluation, since they denied the first one. As I was told by the doctor at the school, they have twenty days to respond to this. Please excuse any typos. I am hereby on a rampage. This is my letter:

Dear Ms. XXX:

As suggested by Dr. XXX during our conversation on February 4th, I am hereby requesting again a Child Study Team Evaluation for my son, XXXX. *ds* went for his Occupational Therapy Evaluation on January 23rd. He saw Ms. XXX, and she told me on that day that he does not need occupational therapy. I am awaiting the evaluation to come in the mail from XXX Hospital.

Please note, both *ds's* Neurodevelopmental Pediatrician, Dr. XXX and his social worker, Ms. XXX, both highly recommend that he have an evaluation directed by the school, and they have told me that they do not understand why it is not being done.

Each day, I am receiving notes from (ds's teacher), Mrs. XXX stating that *ds* is hitting, screaming and/or destroying property. I have received a phone call from (principal) Mr. XXX saying that *ds* was sent to his office for hitting other children and throwing papers. (Teacher) has told me that *ds* threatened to "kill" two other students. I am doing everything I can think of to help the situation, but nothing is working. It was suggested by the team that *ds* see (social worker) more than once every two weeks. This is not possible, as she does not have room in her schedule. I do not with to switch *ds's* social worker; I feel as if this kind of change would make things worse for him. *ds's* report card states that his behavior will eventually start affecting his school work. I want to do something before it goes this far. He is an extremely intelligent boy, and with some help, things could be a lot better for him. I have not even mentioned half of the problems or issues on my mind at the moment.

Please reconsider doing the evaluation.

Sincerely,
Me
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

my honest opinion is that you're being too wordy.

Dear dipshit of a principal:

I am hereby requesting again a Child Study Team Evaluation for my son, XXXX.

Please note that *ds's* Neurodevelopmental Pediatrician, Dr. XXX and his social worker, Ms. XXX have all recommended that this evaluation be done. We all feel that this evaluation needs to be done immediately so that a behavior plan can be put in to place.

Sincerely,

Parent who is gonna open a can of whop-ass soon if you don't get it together

Or something like that.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Lime, you're probably right. I'm gonna change it, and if they have any other lame excuses after that, I will think about sending something like the one I have written. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in