Just fucking shoot me now. - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Special needs Support, advice and information for parents and caregivers of all children with Special Needs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Just fucking shoot me now.

Me and math = miserable disaster.
DD and math = miserable crying disaster.

Me helping DD with math = FUCKING MELTDOWN NIGHTMARE. Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

OH MY FUCKING doG. I thought when I graduated from school that I would be DONE with school and DONE with math. I didnt know I would have to help my ADHD child with this horseshit. Click here to enlarge

The tears. The drama. The name calling because I wont give her the answer and I cant figure out another way to explain something to her. I swear I send so much shit back to her teacher with a note saying I couldnt help her with whatever it was. Why dont they teach math the same way they did 15 years ago? Im going to lose my mind this way. Click here to enlarge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

OMG, I so feel your pain.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlargekat = no longer allowed near the math
hire tutor if necessary
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

ITA with Ima.

FWIW, I was a defiant, mouthy, difficult PITA child who intermittently struggled with math. Here is the KEY THING.

I needed a certain emotional distance between me and the person teaching me math or I would learn NOTHING. The problem was (in fact, still is) that I get frustrated very easily. If forced to keep my composure (say, out of the potential for humiliation if I dissolve into tears in front of a total stranger) I can, in fact, stay focused and keep trying productively for MUCH longer. With my parents -- and, in fact, even with my 7th and 8th grade teacher (because -- well, it's a long story, so I'll skip to the part where it wasn't really my fault Click here to enlarge ) I felt comfortable hurling my book across the room and screaming "I can't do it I can't I can't I can't I can't!" and guess how much math I learned doing THAT?

If your daughter is like me Click here to enlarge then a tutor would work a lot better BUT it needs to be a tutor who does not act buddy-buddy-ish with his or her students. They should be very mature, patient, professional, and at least a little intimidating. Click here to enlarge

Failing that, a tutor who isn't you is probably the way to go. Click here to enlarge

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I thought 4th grade was too young for a tutor. Click here to enlarge But if not, I will gladly look for one. Her school is excellent in offering extra assistance so I will ask them.

Naomi I think she is a lot like you in a sense; she is too quick to spaz out when I know she wouldnt do that in her math class with a teacher. With me though I get tense because I hate math and that she gets so distracted when I just want to get it DONE, and she flips out because I wont give her answers. Click here to enlarge It is a bad combination.

Last night was stressful because I know she has done these problems before but for some reason she was just in a mood and saying she didnt understand, which frustrates me because I have seen her do it so many times before.

It would be nice though if they didnt change the way they teach math since it was fine 5, 10, 15+ years ago. How am I supposed to teach her the new shit if I never learned it myself? Click here to enlarge

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 05:35 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My 9yr old is in the 4th grade and he has ADHD. He struggles so much with Math, Reading and Spelling. He now gets tutored through the school after they tested him and found out he struggles in those areas. The school has cut his workload down in half.

He came home a few days ago and was so happy that he got his first A+ on a spelling test!! He was always getting F's on his spelling papers. He still has to write the 25 spelling words down, but the teacher only grades 15 of them.

Good luck with your daughter!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in