I need help.... - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Special needs Support, advice and information for parents and caregivers of all children with Special Needs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I need help....

This is about my 3 year old, born 12-10-99.

Ok, first of all, he will not talk....ok he will talk to repeat something I am saying, he can repeat pretty much anything, but he will not use language to interact with people....I have never heard him use a 3 word sentence...he also has some other strange habits...he will sit on the couch and rock and hum to himself for an hour at a time. He loves to play on the computer, and he has a few games here (a blues clues ABC one and a few of the jumpstart ones) I had not really started trying to teach the ABC's or anything to him, because I was concentrating on just getting him to talk! I have two other children also (a 4 year old and a 11 month old) and a deployed husband...so I am probably guilty of not giving him as much attention as he needs at times, because he is so laid back and my other two are very demanding.

So sitting back here on my computer he taught himself his letters...he has been able to since a little before his third birthday, point out any letter I ask him too (both upper and lower case) and say what letter it is if I point to it....same with numbers, plus he can count to 50. Just over the past week he has started reading, 3-4 letter words....between 20-30 he can point out and say what they are....he learned all this back here by himself on the computer...he does know shapes and colors too.

But there is something wrong, he should be talking, he shouldn't want to be alone all the time. He will not play with his older brother, he usually will not play with me....If you ask him to do something he just looks at you...ask him how old he is and he won't tell you, he won't even say what his name is if asked. He has had his hearing checked.

I am not getting much help. I took him to the doctor and explained my concerns and he refered me to an EI place on post. They won't help me because we live off post, and they refered us to our county school system. He went to a "screening" and they want to just send him to headstart, which is mainly a low income (we make a tad too much to qualify, but they say he has a speech delay....which I don't know that he does he CAN say the words...something else is wrong) preschool. I don't think this is what is best for him.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong, or where to go for help? He is so hard to deal with at times, he will not stop doing things if I ask him too, and he is constantly doing things he knows are wrong....just today he got my broom out while I was cooking dinner and used it to knock everything off of the top of my TV stand....

ANy thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I am trying to get help for him, but don't really know where to go!

Also I want to add that these behaviors where there before my husband left, so I don't think it is related to that.

Sherri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 08:30 AM
Jerry Springer's Mom of the Year
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Ma Drunkard Send a message via Skype™ to Ma Drunkard
Not sure if he has been eval'd by the county school, if not demand that he is. I would also appeal the EI on post if possible. It doesn't make sense to me that the military would care and provide services for only military kids on post.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 12:13 PM
Dog loves you!
Hard-Core Sybermom

Did they actually do an evaluation, or just offer you head start?

If they did an evaluation, and you disagree with their decision, then request that they pay for an independant evaluation, and go to have it done by somebody in private practice.

This is my signature.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Ok, I was a bit confused about the whole thing. They did send me to a headstart evaluation, so I was under the impression that they were going to send him to headstart. But a lady called me back, finally, and she said based on how he did at that, he will be seen for a different evaluation, to get him into the special EI preschool here. The headstart screening is just to help identify which children needed the other one.

I am still a bit frustrated it has taken this long to get some answers, but things are starting to work out now. He is scheduled for the evaluation Tuesday, and I am a little nervous....

He is such a special kid, though, he can be rough, but he is very gentle to people and animals, and is very compassionate....he just seems to get so frustrated about not being able to express himself! He gets so excited when he says something to me, and I understand it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 06:02 PM
radicalteacher
Ambulance Chaser

I see that this thread is a little old, but I wanted to jump in anyway.

This sounds like Asperger's syndrome to me. I've met a few kids with it, and taught a few. It's basically a very high functioning form of autism. The kids who have it will almost certainly lead normal lives, they'll just be a little odd. They often have development that is very advanced in a few areas, but are delayed socially.

If you do a google search on Asperger's Syndrome, you'll find a lot to read.

As a teacher, I find these kids somewhat challenging, but endlessly fascinating.

Good luck.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Yep, Aspergers is one of the things they mentioned at the last evaluation he had....which was June 17th

He has one more next month, and then he will be placed into an appropriate class...I feel so much better about this now....they have given me a few activities to do with him, and he is improving his speech so much all ready! I cried a few weeks ago when he said his first four word sentence (look mom, a bird!) He paused between each word, but I was so proud of him!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 05:38 PM
Dog loves you!
Hard-Core Sybermom

My ds has asperger's as do the kids of some other moms here.

It is one of those things where one day it breaks your heart, but other days you realize it could be something far worse to deal with.

My ds has made some huge progress over the past year since starting therapy for speech and ot. A year ago I could not even have a conversation with him, and there are times now when he actually sustains a real conversation. It is the little steps I have noticed improving and that is what counts at the moment.

This is my signature.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in