Sybermoms Parenting Forum

Sybermoms Parenting Forum (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/)
-   Special needs (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/76-special-needs/)
-   -   Question about Autism in children? (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/76-special-needs/83341-question-about-autism-children.html)

beachbum 06-24-2003 11:30 AM

Question about Autism in children?

I know there are some moms out there who have children who are autistic and I really need your help. I am keeping a little girl who is two and she seems really developmentally delayed in areas in speech. I have also that she holds her hands and a certain position and that she doesn't communicate. Instead she screams and yells. This could be just the problem of not being able to communicate and being two but my 9 month old is saying more words than she is. If there are any websites out there that could be of any help I would really appreciate. I have tried to talk to her mom but that didn't help. My sister, who is a special ed teacher, thought something was wrong but didn't know for sure what considering her age. What age were your children diagnose with Autism. The reason why I am so interested in Autism is because my sister made a comment that it could be mild autism and so did her uncle. (The child's uncle) I am really worried about the little girl and if there is something I could be doing here during the day while I am keeping her I want to know. I want to help her. I try to read to her as much as possible and everytime I am doing something like feeding her, etc I name off the word and hopes that maybe this will build her vocab. The worst part of it is that I don't even know if she understands me. Sometimes I think she does and sometimes I think she doesn't .

Ma Drunkard 06-24-2003 07:58 PM

She does sound very much like my son when he was that age but he usually was only like that with others, not me.

maybe the mom would be motivated if she understood that she may qualify for Early Intervention, thus emilating her need for a day care.

beachbum 06-24-2003 08:07 PM

I agree 100%! I wished there was someway I could persuade her mom that something is wrong with her but she doesn't want to admit to it. I am afraid that she is going to wait till the child is in kindergarten and then realize that she has a problem. And it really worried me when my sister who is a special ed teacher and has worked with children who have autism thought that she might have autism. Thanks for the info. Is there anything I can do for her except be patient and try to help as much as I can. Even though I did major in early childhood ed we only had one class on special ed.

Tigerlilly 06-25-2003 07:33 AM

There's a checklist called CHAT that can help assessthe child. It's designed for 18 month olds to identify early signs of autism. Maybe it will help.

beachbum 06-25-2003 08:17 PM

Thanks for the link!